Dec 05, 2017, 07:43 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hobbyking Raven 1500

Is it worth a punt for 140?

Bearing in mind i have a Snipe. Decent enough 1500mm sailplane for 140?(sailplane, not dlg, i could stick a tow hook in it for high start) or waste of money entirely?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/h-king-r...plane-pnf.html
Last edited by i_am_mark_evans; Dec 05, 2017 at 08:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2017, 09:14 AM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Huh. Well it does have a D-box wing, so it's better than some of the other offerings out there. Seems a little pricey to me, but maybe it'll fly ok. The smaller one flies pretty well.

I suspect that for someone who already owns a Snipe, though, it's going to be nothing more than a curiosity. The performance just cannot compare. Hobbyking doesn't have the resources to put out a plane like the Evo Woody.
Dec 06, 2017, 09:42 AM
Thread OP
I was always curious of the smaller one since I've had a couple of Elfs in the past but never went for one in the end.

This bigger one is only 30 more so I was even more curious. But I think you're right, in the end it would be a waste of 140.
Dec 06, 2017, 11:54 AM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Yeah, the Elf is always going to win a contest against a balsa built up model unless it's an Evo woodie. Well, I think a Falke might hold its own against an Elf, but that's a really special airplane.
Dec 06, 2017, 12:18 PM
New at this whole life thing
It might be a good choice for someone wanting to try DLG that is very budget limited. From the looks of it it may be a nicer aircraft than most others in its price range. Hard to find a used 1.5 with servos in that price range.
Dec 06, 2017, 01:19 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfiimei
It might be a good choice for someone wanting to try DLG that is very budget limited. From the looks of it it may be a nicer aircraft than most others in its price range. Hard to find a used 1.5 with servos in that price range.
It's sad that at one time, HK offered a pnp bagged 1 meter for that price. They had a pnp 1.5 for maybe $250. It's literally double that now. Mind you, I've flown one and it flies well, but it's not justifiable as a $500+ airplane.
Dec 06, 2017, 05:00 PM
I've been flying for 9 years and have sailplane experience with the original Radian, E-Flite Ka8...and am thoroughly enjoying their little Whipit.

Wanting to get a larger DLG. Wondering if this HK Raven 1500 would be a good way to go?
We don't really have good slope soaring here on the coast... just thermaling . How good will it be for that?

I expect the larger wing might catch thermals better than their 900 series DLG. And launch higher since it's bigger?
(though they don't show high launches on their promo video)

Since it's PNF, I'd get a Spektrum rx to fly it with my Spektrum DX9.

Tom
Last edited by shepflyr; Dec 06, 2017 at 05:11 PM.
Dec 06, 2017, 07:04 PM
I watched the Raven 1500 video on the HK web site.

To me, the plane seems to yaw excessively upon launch release - much more than I've seen in other launch videos. Is that amount of yaw normal?

Woody
Dec 06, 2017, 07:55 PM
that's a LOT of yaw!!!

small /soft vertical maybe?
Dec 06, 2017, 07:55 PM
Thread OP
I saw that yaw too but put it down to bad launch technique?
Dec 06, 2017, 09:21 PM
Don't wanna be rude but I, too, was wondering if the yaw was caused by a late release on launch.

Hope to see other reviews and videos posted soon.

Tom
Dec 07, 2017, 01:48 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
I will pile on too, and say bad technique launch. The last launch on that video shows decent tracking. Not only are the prior launches a good example of short stroking and late release, the landings in the video are quite jerky, too. I presume that the pilot was trying very hard to keep the glider in a cameraman dictated volume of air space.
Dec 07, 2017, 10:52 AM
New at this whole life thing
No flaps on landings that I could see either. The glide actually looked pretty good for what it is.
Dec 07, 2017, 02:15 PM
Glide performance looks on par with my Evo woody, from what they show. But transparent sky blue and white covering?? WHY?? <facepalm>

Chris
Dec 07, 2017, 06:13 PM
Closed Account
The guy flying it is definitely not a glider guy ! The plane looks to be a nice plane for the $$ !! Clearly it is not intended to compete with the glass slippers most F3K guys fly but it does look like it would be loads of fun and a great plane to see if one likes hand launch.

I think we sometimes forget that these are just toy airplanes and not ever plane is or should be built to fly at the World Cup.

Quick Reply