Skywalker 1880 Front Canopy - RC Groups
Dec 05, 2017, 02:46 PM
Discussion

Skywalker 1880 Front Canopy

I was wondering if anyone with more knowledge could make me an STL of the main canopy. I have included a picture with the part circled that I was hoping to find someone to make for me. I would be willing to pay you for your time also. In the photo it has two pieces but what i would like make would only be one piece and would be hollow and curved like the original foam one. i can take more detailed photos if it would help out.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2017, 02:59 PM
Retired CAD guy
Accurate dimensions would e much more helpful than pictures.
Dec 05, 2017, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Accurate dimensions would e much more helpful than pictures.
I will try and get dimensions off of it but would also be willing to send someone one of the foam ones I currently have. What specific dimensions are you looking for, LxWxH unsure of how I would be able to measure the curves?
Dec 15, 2017, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adalta
I will try and get dimensions off of it but would also be willing to send someone one of the foam ones I currently have. What specific dimensions are you looking for, LxWxH unsure of how I would be able to measure the curves?
Adalta, the easy way to get a accurate curves is:
- draw the base, front and back section directly on paper or cardboard. This are the most critical measures because are the section to needs to join to the fuselage.
-make a template for each angle between base and backward section and base and forward section.
-for the rest of the curve cut a pieces of paper as a negative section of the cockpit: one longitudinal at the top-center position and a couple (or more) traversal sections (just the half part). Is important to know the position of this sections, just mark the position on the base draw and longitudinally section. This templates don't need to be so accurate, just 3 or 4 points per curve are enough.
-is important that you draw a measure on all drawing and templates before scan to get a accurate model. Just draw a line and mark cm or inches. More units help more accuracy.

I don't know if you can understand my instruction because my poor English but if you can , I will happy to help you with the model. Just use a print service on US because the shipping from Chile could be high.
Dec 15, 2017, 12:44 PM
Retired CAD guy
Like this ...

Where the mating surfaces have been traced

and then the canopy side view Curve is approximated

from which the CAD guy creates surfaces "close" to what you want.

Dimensions WILL get him closer to what you want.
Dec 15, 2017, 01:19 PM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
You can sometimes use a part of a clear or tinted plastic bottle similar to a 2 liter pop bottle.
Dec 15, 2017, 06:52 PM
Retired CAD guy
No reason why not.
But , ya still hafta have a BUCK or Mold.

Good candidate for 3D Milling job, eh ;>}
Dec 15, 2017, 07:29 PM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
To be perfect yes. but I have made usable parts by just finding a bottle with the right amount of curve. and cut it out with a scissors.

If looking for a cover for FPV you'll be SOL.
Dec 15, 2017, 09:03 PM
Retired CAD guy
Yea, I got burned by buying of those inexpensive Domes .

Optical they are NOT !

Then again , back then the cameras weren't too great either !
Too bad One Blurr does not cancel out the Other Blurr ;>}

To 3D Mill I 1st model the part and export the STL - ascii ST, not bin !
Take THAT into PyCAM and export the G-code.
Then I convert the g-code into Shopbot code and edit out some of the unnecessary crap.
Then let the DUST FLY !!! sometimes for hours !

When i t warms up next spring ,
I am keen to do a Hotwire 4-axis machine.
Dec 15, 2017, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajazo
Adalta, the easy way to get a accurate curves is:
- draw the base, front and back section directly on paper or cardboard. This are the most critical measures because are the section to needs to join to the fuselage.
-make a template for each angle between base and backward section and base and forward section.
-for the rest of the curve cut a pieces of paper as a negative section of the cockpit: one longitudinal at the top-center position and a couple (or more) traversal sections (just the half part). Is important to know the position of this sections, just mark the position on the base draw and longitudinally section. This templates don't need to be so accurate, just 3 or 4 points per curve are enough.
-is important that you draw a measure on all drawing and templates before scan to get a accurate model. Just draw a line and mark cm or inches. More units help more accuracy.

I don't know if you can understand my instruction because my poor English but if you can , I will happy to help you with the model. Just use a print service on US because the shipping from Chile could be high.
sorry for the delay, as I have just started my masters degree and have been very busy with that. I haven't gotten around to getting the dimensions yet but Christmas break is coming up so i should have time to sit down for longer than 2 seconds.

Quick Reply