Spektrum DXe and 3 Channel Aircraft models - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 05, 2017, 01:52 PM
Discussion

Spektrum DXe and 3 Channel Aircraft models

Does anyone know how the Spektrum DXe will work with aircraft models that have just three channels (throttle, elevator, and rudder - no ailerons)? Is it possible (or desirable) to map the rudder to the left stick of the DXe to avoid developing bad habits and confusing rudder with the right stick, which on a normal four channel model controls ailerons?

I am considering purchasing a 3 channel aircraft model (either the Night Vapor or the UMX Radian), but the DXe is my only radio and I'm wondering if it is appropriate for these kinds of aircraft.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2017, 02:01 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Yes, it will work fine and as you want if you set the TX to Mode 4 when setting up for the model in question (which puts the aileron channel on the rudder stick).

But rudder on 3ch is roll control due to the behaviour of the high dihedral on these aircraft, which is why it's on the aileron stick. you get more roll than yaw. Flying 3ch is like flying a yank & bank Elevator, Aileron, Throttle ship than only using the rudder on a 4ch ship. That's why it's standard to have rudder on the aileron stick and it won't teach bad habits.
Dec 05, 2017, 02:20 PM
No bounce, No play.
Then, if you want to add ailerons you just put them on the left stick (where rudder often is A LA Mode 1) and you continue to fly with primary turn input on right stick, still hooked to rudder. Left stick just becomes an added bonus control to keep wings level when necessary.

Al least that's where I am now. I was always Mode1 and found it hard to do nice rudder turns from left stick because elevator was on other stick. With Mode4 it feels real natural to "Steer" lateral and vertical (ELEV) with right stick and only occasional twitch of left stick to level wings.

The only weird thing for me to get used to is steering on ground. Been doing it so long from left stick it is taking a bit of getting used to . A squat switch activated mix would be nice but 'm not there yet. Have a few ideas.
Dec 05, 2017, 11:07 PM
Wow, this was super informative! Thanks guys!

If and when I get my first three channel, I'm going to keep it on the right stick then since it generates roll, and see how that goes. As long as it feels to me that the ship is behaving like an aileron, I should be able to avoid confusion. But it's nice to know about mode 4 as a fallback option for me.
Dec 06, 2017, 08:18 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
If you were to get a RTF 3 channel RET ( Rudder Elevator Throttle ) plane like the original Champ : it comes with the throttle ( only ) control on the left TX stick , and directional control ( rudder/elevator ) on the right stick . So that's how you want to set up a UMX Radian or Night Vapor if you get one of those . Then later when you get a 4 channel RETA ( Rudder Elevator Throttle Aileron ) plane , you'll still have throttle on the left stick and directional control on the right stick ... but the directional control will be with AILERON/elevator . "MOST" 4 channel planes fly just fine with throttle , aileron and elevator ..... "SOME" 4 channel planes require adding a little rudder with the ailerons to make coordinated turns .

The difficulty in transitioning from 3 channel to 4 channel is not in going from RET to RETA control , but in going from "self-righting" to "NOT self-righting" . Most 3 channel planes have a high wing with dihedral/polyhedral ( for self-righting ) , most 4 channel planes have flatter wings with little or no dihedral/polyhedral ( NO self-righting ) . After making a turn , a NON self-righting plane returns to wings-level flight by pilot control input ..... so that has to be the CORRECT input .

If you get a Night Vapor , be sure to get a BRAND NEW one with a DSMX receiver . An older used Night Vapor could be DSM2 , which is not compatible with your DXe .... DXe's will not work with any DSM2 receiver .
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Dec 06, 2017 at 09:15 PM.
Dec 06, 2017, 08:33 PM
No bounce, No play.
There is no such thing as "Most 4 CH planes" and any sort of dihedreal vs "flatter" wing.

And all planes fly more smoothly with goid use of rudder in turns.

To the OP: A nice bit of time on a simulator will go a long ways to help you figure out which way is more natural for you.
Dec 06, 2017, 09:13 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36
There is no such thing as "Most 4 CH planes" and any sort of dihedreal vs "flatter" wing.

And all planes fly more smoothly with goid use of rudder in turns.

To the OP: A nice bit of time on a simulator will go a long ways to help you figure out which way is more natural for you.

"Most 4 CH planes" ....... In My Opinion .... which is based on my experiences the last 8 years .
Dec 06, 2017, 09:16 PM
No bounce, No play.
I have 8 CH planes that look like the top one. I have 3 CH planes that look like the bottom one. No real typical when it comes to models
Dec 06, 2017, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
If you were to get a RTF 3 channel RET ( Rudder Elevator Throttle ) plane like the original Champ : it comes with the throttle ( only ) control on the left TX stick , and directional control ( rudder/elevator ) on the right stick . So that's how you want to set up a UMX Radian or Night Vapor if you get one of those . Then later when you get a 4 channel RETA ( Rudder Elevator Throttle Aileron ) plane , you'll still have throttle on the left stick and directional control on the right stick ... but the directional control will be with AILERON/elevator . "MOST" 4 channel planes fly just fine with throttle , aileron and elevator ..... "SOME" 4 channel planes require adding a little rudder with the ailerons to make coordinated turns .

The difficulty in transitioning from 3 channel to 4 channel is not in going from RET to RETA control , but in going from "self-righting" to "NOT self-righting" . Most 3 channel planes have a high wing with dihedral/polyhedral ( for self-righting ) , most 4 channel planes have flatter wings with little or no dihedral/polyhedral ( NO self-righting ) . After making a turn , a NON self-righting plane returns to wings-level flight by pilot control input ..... so that has to be the CORRECT input .

If you get a Night Vapor , be sure to get a BRAND NEW one with a DSMX receiver . An older used Night Vapor could be DSM2 , which is not compatible with your DXe .... DXe's will not work with any DSM2 receiver .
Yeah, I saw that. That was one of the more disappointing things about the DXe. But since most new planes are DSMX, I decided I could probably live with it for now. I didn't want to buy anything other than new planes because if I got a used plane with damage, I'm not at the point where I would know how to fix it yet.

Someday though maybe I'll be able to buy used and replace DSM2 transmitters with DSMX (or just buy a more advance transmitter).
Dec 07, 2017, 04:51 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraicMirror

Someday though maybe I'll be able to buy used and replace DSM2 transmitters with DSMX (or just buy a more advance transmitter).
Yes , currently ALL the more advanced Spektrum transmitters above the DXe ( DX6e and up ) can use both DSMX and DSM2 . And they are also all computer transmitters , capable of doing all the programming right on the TX .... without having to connect to a PC or Apple/Android device .
Dec 07, 2017, 05:36 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Yes , currently ALL the more advanced Spektrum transmitters above the DXe ( DX6e and up ) can use both DSMX and DSM2 . And they are also all computer transmitters , capable of doing all the programming right on the TX .... without having to connect to a PC or Apple/Android device .
Unless you're in the EU, where DSM2 capable transmitters cannot be sold anymore.

Quick Reply