ventura and “the cross” fire - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 05, 2017, 01:22 PM
__Jackass Savant__
Discussion

ventura and “the cross” fire

There was a major fire last night that burned across foothill and the cross all the way through Ventura from santa paula. 25,000+ acres and over 150 structures burned. If you lost a plane and were hoping you’d find it someday, consider it gone.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2017, 01:25 PM
__Jackass Savant__
pics of the cross from the parking lot and just below
Dec 05, 2017, 01:31 PM
average user
how long should a person wait before flying there?
Dec 05, 2017, 02:32 PM
__Jackass Savant__
when its not santa ana’s
Dec 05, 2017, 04:43 PM
NeverDun
My parents have been evacuated (they live just below foothill RD near Arroyo Verde park. We are just crossing our fingers and waiting. I hope everyone out there gets out safely and without damage!
Dec 07, 2017, 03:21 PM
average user
well this certainly got out of control....

I read in previous threads pilots complaining about too much brush and trees at the cross. does it look like the lift/recovery will be a little better?

fire barely missed around here.
Last edited by mr.zagi5c; Dec 07, 2017 at 07:04 PM.
Dec 07, 2017, 03:37 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
Stay safe everyone.
Last edited by 1000MPH; Dec 07, 2017 at 04:17 PM.
Dec 07, 2017, 10:55 PM
U down with EPP? Ya U know me!
I couldn't believe how high some of the flames were, easily 100'+ at times. There is a ton of old-growth back in the hills that is burning for the first time in memory. I have been out here my whole life, it a sad moment to see so much devastation and the loss of some iconic landmarks.
Dec 08, 2017, 12:30 AM
NeverDun
I'm gonna go ahead and guess two trees is gone. My parents house came away unscathed, but just barely. Fire stopped just across the street from the house. Makes me sad to see my home town looking like a living hell. There are some really heart wrenching photos, and it's frustrating not being there to help. Stay safe everyone, and best wishes.
Dec 08, 2017, 10:10 AM
I74
I74
That sucks !!!!
Sure seem like a lot of potential arson going on out there.
Dec 08, 2017, 11:26 AM
Piscine Promulgator
This is creeping ever-closer to Santa Barbara and Carpinteria. The air quality is terrible, fortunately the nonprofit I work for (Direct Relief) has been doing dust mask distributions locally as well as to Ventura. We'll also be working with local partners supporting folks at the shelters to get the medicine needs of displaced people taken care of.

https://www.directrelief.org/2017/12...e-evacuations/

Our social media team has been really on top of it, you can follow us on Twitter or Facebook.

https://twitter.com/directrelief
https://www.facebook.com/DirectRelief/
Dec 08, 2017, 04:54 PM
NeverDun
Surfimp,
That looks like a great organization to support, thanks for the link, and the help with this. I'll spread the word to family and friends about you guys.
Dec 08, 2017, 09:02 PM
U down with EPP? Ya U know me!
I surveyed the damage from Ventura to Carp. It burned all the way to the coastal homes along the parkway. Some lucky folks for sure. The palm farm is nothing but toothpicks. If we get rain, there will be major mudslides onto the highway. Heavy ash and smoke is falling in Carp. I spoke to a guy from Bakersfield fire and he said the flames are just up the 150. If the winds stay down (supposed to kick up again on Sunday) they may be able to stop the progress on the western flank.

Thank you to Steve for helping with the dust masks, I heard about it on the radio. A lot of grateful people out there.
Dec 08, 2017, 09:21 PM
average user
this is where the thomas fire started, halfway up the mountain in santa paula - then followed the ridge all the way to VTA due to 70 mph wind gusts. It went 14 miles to Ventura in under 9 hours. Had the wind shifted at all my place (and maybe me, sleeping) would have been totally toast.

I cannot believe the rate this thing spread. Because of the conditions the lady I'm renting from and working for has elected to get rid of every bush and burnable item on the property which has kept me pretty busy the last few days. Also havent gotten a good nights sleep while keeping watch. Pray for rain!