FMS F/A-18F Super Hornet 70mm EDF Jet - RC Groups

FMS F/A-18F Super Hornet 70mm EDF Jet

The new F/A-18F Super Hornet from RocHobby is sold by FMS and available for pre-order. This is one of the more accurately rendered F/A-18's out there!

FMS F/A-18F Super Hornet 70mm EDF Jet

An Accurately Rendered F/A -18

The much talked about FMS F/A-18F Super Hornet is finally up on the FMS website and is currently in pre-order. This RocHobby F/A-18F sports clean lines and true-to scale EPO foam molding. It comes with a 70mm 12 blade fan, attached to a 2860-KV1850 inrunner motor. A 70A esc provides motor power from a recommended 6s 3300mAH LiPo. Realistic electric retracts are included, and flaps make slowing down for a short carrier landing a little easier. The FMS F/A-18F Super Hornet 70mm EDF Jet retails for $269.99.

CLICK HERE for more info

CLICK HERE for the RCGroups thread already in progress

Specs:

• Wingspan 875mm
  • Overall Length 1186mm
  • Flying Weight Around 2100g
  • Motor Size 2860-KV1850 Inner runner
  • ESC 70A (5A BEC)
  • Servo 9g metal digital servo *9
  • Radio 6 Channel
  • CG (center of gravity) 70-80mm from the leading edge of Main Wing
  • Prop Size 70mm Ducted Fan (12-blade)
  • Recommended Battery 6S 3300mAh 35C
  • Approx. Flying Duration 3-5 minutes
  • Material Durable EPO

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Dec 05, 2017 at 10:46 AM..
Dec 07, 2017, 12:40 AM
WW5
WW5
Compared to Freewing jets that foam looks crapy. (No offense FMS.)
Dec 07, 2017, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW5
Compared to Freewing jets that foam looks crapy. (No offense FMS.)

Be frank, not absolutely true.
You have to see the FMS 80mm Hawk.
What a beauty.

But the FMS F18 foam is a loser, indeed.

What is going on you guys FMS. :-(
Dec 07, 2017, 03:39 AM
Gentlemens, from where you get your infomation regarding the quality of FMS foam ? Are you owners of beta kits ?

best

Rudi
Dec 07, 2017, 08:17 AM
I've held a production one in my hands, it's not pretty. Too much of the cells can be seen. It also feels like a heavier foam to me. That said the planes design is great, I wish Motion carried it.

Edit... things I like, shape, the outline is good looking. Flaps and ailerons. They designed the flaps to be center hinged and can go up as well as down so you can mix in full span ailerons. The main retracts and struts are mini copies of the FW 90mm F-18 and are really robust. I like it has good sized surfaces for "agile" flying. And rudders.

Other than the finish and the feel and weight of the foam I don't like how the main struts stick out the bottom when retracted. Not a clean design. And no flying stabs.
Last edited by Evan D; Dec 07, 2017 at 10:40 AM.
Dec 07, 2017, 09:51 AM
Comin' in HOT!
"An Accurately Rendered F/A -18"

I will give them props that the scale outline of this F18 does look good IMO. But... if we are going for some scale comparisons, please do better on the ordinance.

Yes, the first batch of production models have been reported with poor fit and finish. This is not of the norm for FMS. So future batches should be better.

For me, if this would of been at least in a 80mm I would of been more interested. I'm not a fan of the horizontal stabs at all. No carbon, no screws, only glue. And the non-scale elevators on a F-18 do not do it for me. All flying stabs - What is it with both FMS and FW going with elevators instead of all flying stabs? Is it for cost? Is it to due to design complications? Or is it simplify the model for better flying characteristics and/or easier setup?
Dec 07, 2017, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford
"An Accurately Rendered F/A -18"

I will give them props that the scale outline of this F18 does look good IMO. But... if we are going for some scale comparisons, please do better on the ordinance.

Yes, the first batch of production models have been reported with poor fit and finish. This is not of the norm for FMS. So future batches should be better.

For me, if this would of been at least in a 80mm I would of been more interested. I'm not a fan of the horizontal stabs at all. No carbon, no screws, only glue. And the non-scale elevators on a F-18 do not do it for me. All flying stabs - What is it with both FMS and FW going with elevators instead of all flying stabs? Is it for cost? Is it to due to design complications? Or is it simplify the model for better flying characteristics and/or easier setup?
It's for costs. And yes i agree. Full flying stab flies far better. It also feels better and slides in the air more on turns with full flying stab. But probably costs a bit more for the hardware.
Dec 07, 2017, 01:07 PM
The design is difficult. If you had a V1 and V2 90mm Freewing F-18 you would see two different approaches that may not scale down very well...
Dec 09, 2017, 01:54 AM
Comin' in HOT!
I have a FW v2 90mm, and I know the less inferior v1's setup. There was a reason for them to upgrade it. FW's 90mm wingspan is 960mm, FMS's 70mm is 875mm.

FW's 64mm F18 has a wingspan of 760mm and it has full-flying stabs... for $109-129.
Dec 09, 2017, 12:17 PM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
Looks promising to me, retracts look good and wheels of decent size, fan sounds good, thrust nice with inrunner (finally) . A bit too early to judge My 2c the fms stuff always needed a bit more "work" to get them the way I wanted but I'm always pleased in the end. Vids I have seen of the 64mm look under powered to me.
Dec 10, 2017, 12:23 AM
DFS#000178
Go through all the trouble to have flaps, scale-ish landing gear, ordnance, etc, etc.

Don't give it a full-flying tail.

Yeah. Pass.