Dec 04, 2017, 08:23 PM
Launch the drones ...
Discussion

FAA study shows drones hitting airliners may not be fatal

Drone collisions with airliners may not be fatal, US study suggests

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/12..._study_assure/

More here ...

http://assureuas.org/projects/delive...sionReport.php
Last edited by Tim Green; Dec 07, 2017 at 04:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2017, 08:59 PM
Baboon McGoon
Well that’s nice, but what in are drones doing being anywhere near commercial or any other air traffic to begin with?! Is the danger posed by the miscreants that we have already seen misuse these things really worth it? Allowing the status quo to continue without imposing some way to limit their misuse only begs for a calamity which is sure to come for which the vast majority of responsible recreational drone users and people like me who fly conventional RC aircraft will inevitably be severely punished. Whatever happened to our hobby promoting responsible use? This isn’t about Big Brother, it’s about basic responsibility and common sense.
Dec 04, 2017, 09:33 PM
Launch the drones ...
New study finds drones not so harmful as believed - and you respond with a suggestion for ever more regs, not less, and a rant about irresponsible drone operators. Well - we all have our ways. And our notions.

For me - I'm happy to find out that the fear mongering has been misplaced. And that's so typical - too, is it not?

And I'm happy to know that I can't accidentally blast an airliner out of the sky ... while flying under the trees on my own property - where I always fly - unless I'm at the club field.
Dec 04, 2017, 11:31 PM
Baboon McGoon
Yep, drones are harmless alright. Just ask the NYC Sikorsky pilot who had one bounce off his helicopter or the Dutch glider pilot who had one almost shear off his wing tip. And no one is going to bother commercial airplanes if you’re flying in your backyard unless you’re flying awfully high. Your cavalier attitude towards basic safety and avoidance of full-sized aircraft is worrisome as is the attitude of others like you. This stuff shouldn’t even be an issue but there have been collisions with full-sized aircraft because of people who obviously are too oblivious or selfish to care. I’m sick of this issue entirely as it puts the whole RC hobby needlessly at risk and it’s utterly crazy to do so. Done now, bye.
Dec 05, 2017, 01:12 AM
What does this button do?
ClipperBill: Sure. Yup. Responsibility. No problem. Stay away from manned aircraft uh huh. The point is...reliable skilled professional simulations have found that aircraft won't plummet from the skies. Some level of damage sure. But not death.
No one has said anywhere that I know of that nothing would happen to the manned aircraft. The dispute and argument comes with would it drop from the sky and kill everyone. It seems not. Two points of evidence and some skilled simulations seem to agree.

If the propaganda is all about safety then it would seem that's not the problem. Sure those blindingly rare stupid occurrences might cost a few bucks to repair. But no one died in the event seems to be the outcome.

That's all. Damage...check. Death...not. Pilots on board should be breathing sighs of relief.
Dec 05, 2017, 03:50 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by z10user
Sure those blindingly rare stupid occurrences might cost a few bucks to repair. But no one died in the event seems to be the outcome.
It would seem that you've never had to pay for a repair to an aircraft.
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Dec 05, 2017, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Green
New study finds drones not so harmful as believed - and you respond with a suggestion for ever more regs, not less, and a rant about irresponsible drone operators. Well - we all have our ways. And our notions.

For me - I'm happy to find out that the fear mongering has been misplaced. And that's so typical - too, is it not?

And I'm happy to know that I can't accidentally blast an airliner out of the sky ... while flying under the trees on my own property - where I always fly - unless I'm at the club field.
Your attitude suggests that since in your opinion you fly safely. Then everybody must also fly safely.

Oh to be that innocent and ignorant again!

While you may avoid a tragedy, as will the vast majority of operators. The fact remains that sooner or later some idiot with an RC aircraft of some type will have a serious collision with a full size aircraft. The RC will be at fault if for no other reason than having failed to avoid and give the right of way (in the safety guidelines, remember?). What fall out this will bring to the hobby will no doubt depend in part on the type of full size aircraft and whether or not any injuries or deaths resulted from it.

No one can test for every possible scenario. Nor can anyone go so far as to predict every possibility. The fact remains, there are scenarios out there where a drone could possibly cause a crash. When and where I do not know. But life has taught me that it can happen. But of course many, like yourself, choose to grasp at every scrap of BS that suggests it can never happen.
Dec 05, 2017, 09:11 AM
Launch the drones ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001
Your attitude suggests that since in your opinion you fly safely. Then everybody must also fly safely.

Oh to be that innocent and ignorant again!

While you may avoid a tragedy, as will the vast majority of operators. The fact remains that sooner or later some idiot with an RC aircraft of some type will have a serious collision with a full size aircraft. The RC will be at fault if for no other reason than having failed to avoid and give the right of way (in the safety guidelines, remember?). What fall out this will bring to the hobby will no doubt depend in part on the type of full size aircraft and whether or not any injuries or deaths resulted from it.

No one can test for every possible scenario. Nor can anyone go so far as to predict every possibility. The fact remains, there are scenarios out there where a drone could possibly cause a crash. When and where I do not know. But life has taught me that it can happen. But of course many, like yourself, choose to grasp at every scrap of BS that suggests it can never happen.
Again - it was a study. And it was well done. And it refuted some other studies. And the study was about how likely is a drone to drop a plane from the sky. And the results were - not very.

And from that - you got this "chicken little" thing going ... your attitude tells me that ..., you guys are ruining it ..., you guys are going to kill someone ..., you guys are going to drop an airliner ..., you guys won't fly right ..., you guys are posting things I don't like ...

Geeze Louise - it was just a study. Well done. But just a study.

And one that should benefit our endeavors. I wish you'd simply see as that - and nothing else.
Dec 05, 2017, 12:05 PM
Bottom line.... would you put your wife and kids on a 737 knowing there was going to be any R/C aircraft in the flight path?
Dec 05, 2017, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXF3BMAN
Bottom line.... would you put your wife and kids on a 737 knowing there was going to be any R/C aircraft in the flight path?
Nobody can KNOW an r/c aircraft will be in the flight path ahead of time so as to not be on that plane that time. We are however getting to know that an impact won't bring the aircraft down. I'm comforted by that. I should think so should all pilots.
Dec 05, 2017, 12:20 PM
Yea, I expected people to dance around the question.
Dec 05, 2017, 12:24 PM
Your question was ridiculous. No dancing required.

How about this: would you put your wife and kids on a 737 knowing there was going to be any bird in the flight path?
Dec 05, 2017, 12:34 PM
Baboon McGoon
Don't ever recall any studies done on the effects of RC aircraft impact with full-sized. Why? Because we have done a good job of policing ourselves and staying away from same. Thus we have been specifically exempted from FAA regs. For a few miscreant drone pilots, not so much and hence the need for the study and also (unfortunately) the perceived need to now regulate us a well. Drones are just too easy to learn to fly and can be flown any where, thus its an awful lot harder to keep out the riff raff.
Dec 05, 2017, 12:38 PM
Launch the drones ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by z10user
Your question was ridiculous. No dancing required.

How about this: would you put your wife and kids on a 737 knowing there was going to be any bird in the flight path?
Right - and birds have brought down airliners - when two of them hit Sully's plane over the Hudson - taking out both engines.

But drones don't fly in flocks - so this scenario - birds taking out two engines - is unlikely to happen with drones. So - drones are safer than birds, one can surmise.
Dec 05, 2017, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClipperBill
Don't ever recall any studies done on the effects of RC aircraft impact with full-sized. Why? Because we have done a good job of policing ourselves and staying away from same. Thus we have been specifically exempted from FAA regs. For a few miscreant drone pilots, not so much and hence the need for the study and also (unfortunately) the perceived need to now regulate us a well. Drones are just too easy to learn to fly and can be flown any where, thus its an awful lot harder to keep out the riff raff.
Ooohh...elitism against newcomers. Nice.
I would be surprised no studies had been done to know what would happen if an old-school rc aircraft impacted manned aircraft. I'm also delighted that some kind of study has been conducted (albeit merely a simulation) so that we can get to know what the effects of an impact might be. Oh look...maybe the end of the world will not happen.