Dec 04, 2017, 08:02 PM
Jeorge
Thread OP
New Product

Arris X80 RTF

Hey everyone! New kid on the block here!

I’m an Aerospace Engineering student from the UK with a passion for all things flying and RC. Unfortunately, I’ve had to leave most of my larger RC planes and quads at home in the countryside but Micros are slowly taking over my new house. �� I don't discriminate - I love flying Cheersons as much as I do scratchbuilt balsa planes.

I was kindly selected to review the new Arris X80 from Arrishobby and naturally I jumped at the opportunity!

Specifications:

Width: 81mm
Weight: 30g (Battery not included)
Dimension: 38 x 71 x 71mm (Propeller and Antenna are not included)
Motor: 11XX series super light brushless motor
ESC: 4A 1S 4IN1 DSHOT ESCs
Propeller: 56mm propeller and Gemfan 4-leaf propeller
Receiver: Built-in Frsky receiver
Camera: HD 520TVL camera (VM275T)
TX: 25MW, NTSC/PAL is switchable
Flight Time: >10 minutes
Flight Controller Firmware: Betaflight-TINYFISH

Unboxing:

The quad comes in a relatively unassuming black box featuring only the company branding.

Nicely contained within the box we find the drone itself; instructions, prop guards and longer screws for mounting them, Four-bladed props, battery and USB charger (which I wouldn’t recommend using in a PC or Laptop USB port since it draws 0.5A)

Features:

The quadcopter itself is nicely presented and built upon a single plate carbon frame. The build is very utilitarian and we can see that Arris have tried wherever possible to shave every gram of weight from it without compromising strength. I have had the x80 for almost three weeks now and have crashed it in every way imaginable and sure enough, it comes bouncing back for more. The only real 'damage' sustained so far is the loss of the hex nut from the front of the camera mount, but this has not affected it whatsoever.

Naturally, I feel compelled to compare it to my Tiny Whoop - Not much to directly compare, but you can see that for a brushless this thing is impressively tiny!

The brains of the X80 is based on the TinyFish F3 flight controller with an integrated FrSky receiver – the RX antenna is a monopole wire, whilst this does not necessarily offer the range that a dipole might, it is perfect for indoor and short range use and is much more durable (Just make sure it’s kept well away from the props!)

Underneath the flight controller, the 4A All-in-one ESCs are nicely interfaced to the flight controller using SIP pins. This arrangement has been dubbed the Raptor Tower.
The four 16000kv brushless motors are connected to the ESC’s by thin copper wire which are nicely protected by green heatshrink. There isn’t much to say about these motors since they’re unlabelled and the only information I can find is “11xx series” but they definitely perform! Naturally, 4A ESC’s in parallel will pull a decent amount of current so the Arris x80 utilizes the MX 2.0 (Power whoop connector) to handle this current draw – I have noticed that it still becomes a little warm, but nothing concerning.

The FPV camera is the ubiquitous VM275T – Mostly seen on Tiny Whoops and most other micros – It is a 520TVL board cam with admirable performance. We all know about these! ��This is mounted on a nice 3D printed mount.

Set up and Flight:

The x80 binds to a Taranis as well as you’d expect. The instructions call for using the D8 mode for binding. The x80 will fly straight out of the box – but half the fun in this hobby is tinkering around in Betaflight. When plugging into PC ensure that the battery is also connected since USB power alone is not sufficient to power the flight controller.

In flight using the stock PIDS, I found the Arris x80 to be a little twitchy and ‘shaky’ - which indicated that the P gain was too high. Some minor adjustments later I’ve managed to get it to fly as I like it. I have included my PID’s below if anyone wishes to use them.

With proper adjustments, I have found the x80 to be a very fast and exhilarating quad to fly and I’d even go as far as to say that it may set a new precedent for RTF micros. I must admit the x80 is above my learning curve – I’m more used to my more docile Tiny Whoop and I’m not all that versed with acro flying so I can’t really fly to it’s full potential. I fully expect that more experienced pilots could powerloop it in a room and perform some impressive acro in a small space.

Attached below I have included Arris’s video of it in flight (my DVR seems to be oversaturating videos to a painful degree, and I’m not sure why, if I can sort this issue I’ll append my video below.)

ARRIS X80 80MM 1S Brushless Micro FPV Quadcopter Test Flight (1 min 50 sec)

The only fault I have with it is minor - the battery is supported directly against the frame of the x80 using an elastic band, after crashing - I have noticed that the frame is making an imprint on the LiPo and I am concerned that this may in time puncture the battery. To remedy this, I have cut a piece of sponge to sit between the frame and the LiPo and I highly suggest you do this if you are prone to crash like me

Final thoughts:

For the money (99 at the time of review), the Arris X80 offers serious bang for the buck – Brushless quadcopters this small are still a relatively burgeoning thing and have only been around for a year or so – Building your own brushless Tiny whoop can be costly and Arris have come up with a very nice cheap alternative to buying parts. The performance is nothing like the 1s quads we're used to - I'd easily say it handles more like a 5 inch and if offers a fantastic amount of fun in a small package.

Acknowledgements:

Dr. Mike Jump, University of Liverpool
Nancy Fang, Arrishobby
Last edited by Jeorge345; Dec 04, 2017 at 08:21 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2017, 12:58 AM
Looked nice, but stopped reading when I saw "25MW".
Dec 05, 2017, 01:05 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogship View Post

25 MegaWatt does indeed seem excecssive, and reduce flight times. 25mW sounds more likely.

Joking aside about M vs m (Mega vs milli) it's quite common for a small one like this to conserve energy where possible. More VTX power means more battery drain. And a well tuned 25mW should provide plenty of range. With the TinyFish's receiver it's already not going to have 100+m of range, most stuff with this board or it's clone barely gets to 40m. The VTX signal is still very good at that point. So it would only have made sense to fit a stronger VTX, if the cube would have used a longer range receive, for instance something based upon the XM, which easily gets around 100m or better range.

Nicely detailed review btw. Gives a good impression what to expect. I worry about the soldering of the motor wires, seems like some parts of wire extending, and almost touching a nearly solder pad.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Dec 05, 2017, 02:48 AM
nice review!
is the cam a VM2751?
Dec 05, 2017, 07:29 AM
Nice review.

Looking here: https://www.hobby-wing.com/arris-x80...-quad-rtf.html the motors look to be 1103s (though its difficult to trust them as they claim a cloverleaf antena in the VTX description).

Having flown it for a few weeks can you give an indication of the flight times you were getting? 10 mins seems extremely impressive, my homemade brushless 1S with 1103 10000kv motors only gets around 2:30 with a 600mah and I don't think it weighs significantly more.
Dec 05, 2017, 07:09 PM
Jeorge
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogship View Post
I didn't notice that! Admittedly, I just copied that directly from Arris's website and completely overlooked it - making glaring errors with respect to orders of magnitude can land me in trouble, so thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chulian1819 View Post
nice review! is the cam a VM2751?
It is, yes - V1.1 if mind serves correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Tops View Post
Having flown it for a few weeks can you give an indication of the flight times you were getting? 10 mins seems extremely impressive, my homemade brushless 1S with 1103 10000kv motors only gets around 2:30 with a 600mah and I don't think it weighs significantly more.
It averages between 4-6 minutes for me - Not really close to the 10 they advertise, but I'm guessing they dervied that time from a hover.

Thanks guys! This is my first time reviewing anything, and your comments are encouraging.
Jan 23, 2018, 11:34 PM
I'm on my 2nd x80 now after the first one arrived with a broken battery. Battery life is no way the 10 minutes they quote. Depending on the props used and battery size I found:
150mah 30c eachine battery 2 minutes 10 seconds 4 blade and 2 minutes 34 seconds 2 blade.
500mah 30c stock battery 3 minutes 50 seconds 4 blade and 4 minutes 38 seconds 2 blade.
The stock battery also suffers voltage sagging when close to the end and will occasionally perform a flip of death if the flight controller browns out. The tiny 150mah eachine battery performs well and the quad just stops and falls.
My second unit has the camera glued in wonky and it looks to the left about 15 degrees which makes FPV strange. I emailed Arris about it but I'm still waiting for a reply after over a day.

Quick Reply