Feb. 23-25th, 2018 IOM Mid-Winter Regatta / San Diego Argonauts - RC Groups
Dec 04, 2017, 04:14 PM
Discussion

Feb. 23-25th, 2018 IOM Mid-Winter Regatta / San Diego Argonauts

PDF for the NOR attached.

Online registration is now open! Go here to register... https://form.jotform.com/73384286914971

This regatta will have a Club level ranking (1x multiplier)

• Easy launching access around the entire pond.
• Plenty of parking 100 ft. from the start line.
• Shaded grass set up area.

Thanks!
Last edited by RCphotoguy; Dec 08, 2017 at 11:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2017, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCphotoguy

This will be a ranking regatta!
But will it be the R6 Ranking event or Club Recurring Ranking event?

Also is this date firm? It is different from the original suggested date (of Feb 3/4).

John
Dec 04, 2017, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball
But will it be the R6 Ranking event or Club Recurring Ranking event?

Also is this date firm? It is different from the original suggested date (of Feb 3/4).

John
Dates are now firm.

I sent an email to the current class secretary Bruce Andersen asking "will this be a ranking regatta"... his reply was... "yes".
Dec 04, 2017, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCphotoguy
Dates are now firm.

I sent an email to the current class secretary Bruce Andersen asking "will this be a ranking regatta/"... his reply was... "yes".
Yes it may be a ranking regatta, but there are three classes of ranking event with different multipliers - and for me, your Nats and Regional Champ are eligible for Canadian Rankings, but not a recurring club ranking event.

John
Dec 04, 2017, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball
Yes it may be a ranking regatta, but there are three classes of ranking event with different multipliers - and for me, your Nats and Regional Champ are eligible for Canadian Rankings, but not a recurring club ranking event.

John
Ah, that's right. I'll contact Bruce again and report back.
Dec 05, 2017, 12:06 AM
Barry D USA 747
This is the SD Mid Winters! It's winter, most haven't sailed for months. We all just want to hang out at "the pond" with our friends and brush off the cobwebs. Who cares what the ranking is !!!!
Dec 06, 2017, 05:22 PM
Beyond Hyperbole
The class secretary said "yes" back when it was a 2 day regatta on Feb 3-4.

Now that it has been moved to 23-25 and stretched to 3 days it no longer easily fits into any of the US ranking categories or the global schedule (Western Regional's March 18-19).

The NCA Exec is discussing whether this will be a Club Ranking Regatta (1.0 multiplier) or a non-ranking regatta.

Should have a decision in the next week or so.

Will post the final decision on the IOM website.
Dec 06, 2017, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Malfooch
The class secretary said "yes" back when it was a 2 day regatta on Feb 3-4.

Now that it has been moved to 23-25 and stretched to 3 days it no longer easily fits into any of the US ranking categories or the global schedule (Western Regional's March 18-19).

The NCA Exec is discussing whether this will be a Club Ranking Regatta (1.0 multiplier) or a non-ranking regatta.

Should have a decision in the next week or so.

Will post the final decision on the IOM website.
I would appreciate a decision sooner then that. I sent a list to Bruce of 16 well-known skippers from a cross section of the most active IOM skippers from the west to east coast and inbetween... all were unanimous in their desire to have a 3-day regatta, and no desire to make a long trip to SD just to have 1.5 days of racing. ALL shared Barry's sentiment in post #6 in this thread.

That said, I was just trying to give 'em what they want. Whether it's a ranking regatta or not ain't going to change the date nor the number of days.

Like I told Bruce, I'm not challenging the rules, nor waving my middle finger at the NCA exec, I'm just responding to the skippers desire to have a 3-day regatta (ranking or non-ranking). Please let me know yay or nay on ranking or not, so I can let the AMYA know asap.

And I would appreciate your decision via email first. That is how this has been discussed up until now.

To clarify a little more in case I haven't made myself perfectly clear... I only asked about ranking or not so I can inform the AMYA as it relates to how they set up online registration... I did NOT ask because I want it to be a ranking event (that would be nice, but not a deal breaker).

Thanks!
Last edited by RCphotoguy; Dec 06, 2017 at 09:25 PM.
Dec 07, 2017, 12:13 AM
Speaking of Rankings... Who's got the latest rankings?
Dec 07, 2017, 10:19 AM
Latest rankings are here

http://www.iomusa.org/racing/racing/

Also the Rankings Regs.

John
Dec 07, 2017, 11:54 AM
Barry D USA 747
[QUOTE=Paul Malfooch;38760107]

I don't understand what the big deal is here? The SD Argonauts seem to have gone out of their way to accommodate what the majority of skippers want. Seems to me there is undue importance placed on the ranking issue. Lets be honest, there are just a handful of skippers who have the skills to always contest the top places and hence qualify to compete internationally, the rest of us obviously enjoy the competition but this seems like the NCA are placing more importance on satisfying the needs of a few instead of understanding the desires of the rest of the potential entrants. My guess would be if Bob continued to poll more skippers, there would be a lot more than 16 who want a 3 day regatta.
Dec 07, 2017, 09:14 PM
The ranking status of this regatta is still pending. I will update when I hear back from the NCA with their decision.
Dec 08, 2017, 11:10 AM
Online registration is now open! Go here to register...

https://form.jotform.com/73384286914971

As skippers register, I will update the entry list in this thread.
Dec 08, 2017, 11:28 AM
*** This regatta will have a Club Level ranking (1x multiplier)***

Online registration is now open! Go here to register...

https://form.jotform.com/73384286914971

As skippers register, I will update the entry list in this thread.
Dec 09, 2017, 10:54 AM
First day of open registration...

01. Erik Evans #79 CA
02. Steve Toschi #94 CA
03. Larry Grant #85 CA
04. Barry Donaher #27 AZ
05. Konrad Witt #13 CA
06. Stephen Washburn #711 CA
07. Bob Hirsch #78 CA