E-Flite UMX Vapor Lite HP - RC Groups

E-Flite UMX Vapor Lite HP

HorizonHobby has a new micro indoor plane in the updated UMX Vapor Lite HP. Check out the video to see how it performs.

Splash

Ultimate Indoor Airplane

Yes those temperatures outside are dipping into too cold to fly levels, but that means the indoor season is here and it is time to update your fleet. The Vapor from Horizon Hobby has been a great super slow flyer, perfect for indoor settings, but now there is a new version, the UMX Vapor Lite HP. It comes in RTF and BNF flavors at $99 and $69 respectively.

They are smaller and lighter than the previous models which means you can fly in even smaller spaces than before, and that's saying a lot! The larger motor and prop will allow you to take off in almost no rollout as well pull out vertically from a hover. Just check out the video below to see what the Vapor Lite HP is capable of. You don't even need to find a gym for this one, it will happily fly in your living room. HorizonHobby has them listed on backorder right now with expected arrival dates in the next couple of weeks.

Check out the E-Flite UMX Vapor Lite HP here

Specifications:

• Wingspan: 13.3 in (338mm)
  • Wing Area: 60.7 sq in (3.91 sq dm)
  • Flying Weight: 0.44 oz (12.5 g)
  • Length: 11.5 in ( 292mm)
  • Material: Carbon/Film
  • Recommended Battery: 70mAh 1S LiPo (Included)

Dec 04, 2017, 01:08 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Hmmm, this could be a great plane to keep in my office!
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Dec 05, 2017, 12:42 AM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Ditto ^
Dec 05, 2017, 11:05 AM
Interesting ... pretty much mid-way between the original/Night Vapor and (discontinued) Mini Vapor:

Night Vapor: 376mm, 16.4g
Vapor Lite HP: 338mm, 12.5g
Mini Vapor: 220mm, 8.6g

Of course the 'full size' one can already fly at a slow walking pace and turn on a dime - I have flown that in my lounge, using a table or sofa for take off & landing. Some extra power on tap is good though.
Dec 05, 2017, 11:07 PM
I have been flying a Night Vapor for over a year now and enjoy it greatly. Looking forward to getting the new Vapor Lite. Not sure I am skilled enough to fly in my house, but might give it a go!

I have been mostly flying in a gym.
Dec 06, 2017, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall Banger
Looking forward to getting the new Vapor Lite. Not sure I am skilled enough to fly in my house, but might give it a go!
Yup TBH I think pilot ability is the key here ... I'm not sure the Lite will be significantly easier in itself to fly in small spaces. I did a very short video of my 2008 Vapor flying in the lounge (around 15' x 10') and a gym, years ago:

Original Vapor (0 min 42 sec)

That one is still going although the servos are getting a little flaky. I bought my son a Night Vapor last year for his 9th birthday. It loses bind with my old DX6i quite regularly though ... I guess this is a DSM2 / DSMX thing?
Dec 06, 2017, 10:57 AM
Really nice vid BG! I particularly liked the landing and take off in your living room.

Like you were doing in the gym, I like to point my Night Vapor straight up and I can almost hoover.
I would like just a bit more power for my Night Vapor and I looked at replacing the prop with a prop from my Sport Cub S. Won't work as the prop shafts are different.

I have some other ideas I will try to get that little bit more power so perhaps my Night Vapor will climb straight up.

I am using a DX6i and have had no binding problems-yet. Thinking of going with a DX6e later next year.
Last edited by Wall Banger; Dec 06, 2017 at 11:02 AM.
Dec 06, 2017, 11:02 AM
RCG Admin
It's in stock! Got my order in just now on the BNF. Batteries are out of stock though. Anyone know of any good in stock batteries that would work great on this?
Dec 06, 2017, 02:58 PM
Blarg?
It WAS in stock, for a few hours. Now its back to backorder. I have it preordered but, have not gotten a ship notice yet.
Dec 06, 2017, 03:00 PM
RCG Admin
That was fast. Sure hope I get mine. Tis the season for indoor fun.
Dec 06, 2017, 04:56 PM
Vapors generally seem pretty tolerant of a little extra weight ... I've switched from the stock 70 mAh to a 150 on both of mine with no noticeable difference in flying speed (but a whole load more duration). So something like a 110 should be fine on the Lite, IMHO.
Dec 06, 2017, 04:59 PM
RCG Admin
I've got some of those, so I'll give that shot. Thanks!
Dec 08, 2017, 12:33 AM
As soon as I saw this on the HH website I knew I wanted one.
$69 seems a bit much for some plastic wrap and carbon wires, but I think the Vapor series of planes are really cool at the same time. They look like a lot of fun.
Today, 07:45 PM
Lurker
Just picked mine up from the lhs. Charging the batteries now.
Can't wait!

Stock battery E-flite 70mah - 2.7 grams 14c
Thunder Power 125mah - 3.2 grams 25c
Last edited by KonstantKrash; Today at 07:50 PM. Reason: Added Infor