RC Flight Log App - RC Groups
Dec 04, 2017, 07:14 AM
Discussion

RC Flight Log App

I was searching the Apple App Store for someway to keep track of the rechargable batteries I use in my R/C sailboats and I ran across this one:
RC Flight and Battery Log
It's possible to use it for Sailboats, Motorboats and even Cars with a few changes, so I contacted the author and he is interested in making the necessary changes for land based RC Models, including the possibility of adding a section for competition results.

Is an iPhone App/Andriod App something that R/C Sailors would have an interest in? Here's a link to the Apple IOS version:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rc-f...3974?ls=1&mt=8

BrentHG
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2017, 04:58 PM
Remember, not all classes allow for boat to radio transmission during "official" events. ....
Dec 05, 2017, 09:42 AM
I'm not looking for boat to shore transmission, looking to keep a log of sailing events and battery info.

I've been in touch with the author of RC Flight and Battery Log app and he is working on an RC Sailboat and Battery Log app as we speak. I'm anxious to see what he comes up with based on the input I gave him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio06226
Remember, not all classes allow for boat to radio transmission during "official" events. ....
Dec 05, 2017, 10:47 AM
I numbered my batteries and made an excel sheet. I keep it next to the charger and when one finishes i put in the date, amount of charge and how long it charged.
Dec 05, 2017, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenthg
I'm not looking for boat to shore transmission, looking to keep a log of sailing events and battery info.

I've been in touch with the author of RC Flight and Battery Log app and he is working on an RC Sailboat and Battery Log app as we speak. I'm anxious to see what he comes up with based on the input I gave him.
Yes I understand, but you will use your iphone or not? so there is transmission from the boat .... or the info is stored on the boat until the end of the race and then uploaded on a device?
Dec 05, 2017, 09:42 PM
No. Only difference is iPhone vs paper. And these days one is more likely to have an iPhone or android in their pocket, than paper. There is no transmission from the vehicle to the app. It is a log to keep track of the battery charges, and if one wants to (I guess) also make notes about each flight, or in our case, sailing session.

I "think" I tried this app out for my drones and didn't like it. I use another one (will dig up later, phone in other room) that keeps very good track of my batteries and their charge cycles.

I think it is a very good idea, if one is using lipos. Maybe life batteries. But it takes some serious effort to keep it updated. And a setup needs to be in the app for life batteries specifically. The app I use will make noise if I leave a lipo pack charged up fully for too long and tell me to put it into storage mode. But life batteries don't require the same precautions...

Now what I want to see is an app just like this that does this automatically! IE connect phone to the charger and automatically inputs most of the data. And this should actually be doable now. There is a bluetooth module that connects to many of the chargers (like the Accucell 6) and allows some sort of control via the phone.
I would pay the $4 to try it out though!
Dec 06, 2017, 01:32 PM
Ohhh, I totally misunderstood than, it's one of those "let's add more complexity to a simple thing just because i can and charge people for it" thingy.....

I thought it was something that kept track on real time of your battery status, something important if you're flying, my bad ......
Dec 07, 2017, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gio06226
Ohhh, I totally misunderstood than, it's one of those "let's add more complexity to a simple thing just because i can and charge people for it" thingy.....

I thought it was something that kept track on real time of your battery status, something important if you're flying, my bad ......
Having only been involved in this hobby for about a month, I quickly became overwhelmed with important information I needed to keep track of about my Soling 1 Meter...and I HATE PAPER. If I write it down, I loose the paper. So I set out to find an App for my phone that would keep this information at my finger tips, since I always have my phone with me...I very seldom loose my phone, it's too expensive. So on with my search for an App that suited my needs.

I couldn't find anything specifically for Model Sailboats, but my search turned up 2 that sorta/kinda works for sailboats, even though they are geared mostly for RC Aircraft and Cars:

RC Log Book: http://clevertangerine.com/RCLogbook/

RC Flight Log: http://sjimpey.wixsite.com/rcflightlog

I contacted the author of RC Flight Log and asked him if he was interested in creating a sailing version and we have been communicating back and forth about what was needed to track sailboats. He is working on the new RC Sailing Log as we speak and I will be beta testing the App for him. He has created a Facebook page if you want to follow the development of this App:

https://www.facebook.com/RCSailingLog/

As it is developed and released, if you have any ideas or input, please contact me and I will pass it on to the developer.

BrentHG