Dec 03, 2017, 08:05 PM
youtube.com searchfor danqfpv
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Furibee GT215- Fire Dancer- Another Great Mini? -2306 - 35A - OmnibusF4

Yet another Great Minidrone? or a dud? Should you get it? or not? This and more in the next exciting episode of dragonballz.

FLASH SALE: 3/7/18 Flysky version: $139.99
Flysky w/ Coupon: 139.99 FBGT215FL
FRsky w/Coupon: 139.99 FBGT215F
While supplies last.

But seriously the specs on this drone are impressive, and to match, a very sexy looking frame! Here are the specs
in case you were wondering:

FOD - Desync or Deathroll issue SEE POST 2 Here

Motors: 2306 @ 2400kv
ESC: 4in1 BLHeli-S 35A
FC: Omnibus F4
Frame: Al + Carbon mix with 5mm! Thick arms
Camera: CCD?? 960H 2.1mm lens with (I believe this is a CMOS) - but a great camera nonetheless
VTX: 5.8ghz 48CH, switchable power schemes: 25mW- 200mW- 600mW

Get em while it's HOT, PnP and FrSky is on sale for just $159, this price will go up
Availability in 3 different receivers and a PnP:
DSMX - https://goo.gl/XRNSsD
FLYSKY - https://goo.gl/Kfcmj5
FrSKY - https://goo.gl/GdyBD2
PnP - https://goo.gl/zJHW64

Contents:
  • Videos:
  • What Do You Get?
  • Measurements &Weights:
  • GT215 Angles:
  • Components:
  • Initial Impressions:
  • Flight Performance:
  • Pros
  • Cons
  • Final Thoughts
Post2
  • Modifications Tuning & Setup Help:

Videos:
Furibee GT215 Fire Dancer - Is this Another Great Quad?? (21 min 8 sec)

What Do You Get?

Perfect for those who don't have a case, they attached a handle to the box so you can use this for the time being.

On the inside is foam with cutouts that will fit a couple lipos, your drone (unfortunately with props removed) and misc small parts.

The included contentsL 2 full sets (8x) 5048 tri-bladed props, a pagoda antenna, 8mm carbon fiber allen wrench, prop nuts, battery strap, and the gt215

Fun Fact:

The GT215 is part of the Fire Dancer lineup from Furibee, which also includes the GT90.

Measurements & Weights:
What sets the GT215 from most other frames is the use of very thick arms, it's a good thing they did too, because of how narrow they are. I'm not entirely sure how durable they will be... we will find this out after a few crashes. The arms and all the carbon fiber that are used in this frame are ultra stiff... especially the arms which have no flex at all. For a 215mm, it's Not the lightest by an means, but the impressive spec'd components should more than make up for the extra bit of weight.

Measurement of arm width, and motor width and height

ultra thick, but narrow arms- we will see how they hold up after a few crashes

took a few different measurements since there was an incline- hopefully this will help in case someone is building from scratch

other than arms, all other plates are 2mm thick

A little bit on the heavy side, but take into consideration the thickness of the frame, and heavy but powerful motors

GT215 Angles:

Another great looking drone from Furibee, I can't tell if it is a good thing or bad, that they are releasing so many drones so rapidly. You would think that this approach would cause a degrade in quality, but it's just the other way around, I've actually seen better quality drones being released as of late, and from the looks of it, the GT215 is of no exception. The feel, the build, the looks... all top notch, but above all else, I just hope that it is the performer that I imagine it will be. The following are some different angles

no grips on the bottom, so I've glued on some foam

Components:
Frame:- We're Starting to see ALOT of frames using aluminum these days, and they are becoming more popular. They look great and a lot of times they will even fare better in a crash over carbon fiber. Where carbon would snap in a bad crash, in that same type of crash, aluminum would probably just bend. The GT215's frame is made up of 10 pieces, at least that is what i counted from the pictures. "dont have the quad with me right now" The good thing about this is that if say an arm broke, it would be far cheaper to replace it, than if we had to replace the entire main plate. On the other hand, a unibody frame is going to be stronger than a modular frame, and we need to also take into account that modular frames such as the gt215, will be using more screws and nuts, which add even more weight. To be honest, the weight isnt that big of a deal, especially with the motors and esc's that the GT215 is running.

Motors:The motors used on this drone are Furibee's own 2306, at 2400KV, which should be a powerhouse. They are top notch quality, you can definitely feel the quality when spinning the bells with your fingers. The bearings feel smooth, yet there is sort of notchy feel, along with slight resistance, so it takes a bit of force to get the motors to spin. The Motors feature hollow shafts, which are more durable, yet weight less, it's magic. Another great feature of these motors, is the use of hex head screws to hold the bell to the stator, instead of using those pesky to install circlips. I swear I end up losing hair everytime I have to take a motor apart because I know of what's coming when I have to install the circlip.

Prop Nuts:- There is no reason to have these heavy steel prop nuts, they are 3 times heavier than standard aluminum nuts. I'm pretty sure these are the same prop nuts that came with the original emax red bottoms.

Camera:This is a 960H "CCD" camera that uses a 2.1mm lens, resulting in a 140 degree field of view. It is also stated to be 2MP, and iproduces 1080P HD video. This camera actually uses a CMOS sensor, and I'm not so sure about the 1080 and HD claims, all I know is that this is a great camera, that produces a clear, highly detailed and vibrant picture, just not 1080P HD quality.

Maximum uptilt

Lowest uptilt

VTX:-A power switchable VTX: 25mW / 200mW / 600mW, with 48 available channels. Settings are NOT able to be adjusted through OSD, unfortunately, but there is a wire connected to the flight controller that takes over channel 6 on your radio... this will change channels, so make sure you set your radio up accordingly. What I did was copy one of my D8 entries on my radio and moved my channel 6 presets down a channel (FrSky Taranis). There are also buttons on the VTX, along with LED's showing what channel and band you are on. Lastly, your antenna is connector through and sma pigtail that is attached to the vtx through an MMCX connector. This is much more beefy thatn your typical ipex connector, this will last longer, and you don't have to worry about it coming loose as with ipex.

Flight Controller:
The GT215 is equipped with an Omnibus F4 and flashed with betaflight version 3.2.0 I have mine set to run 8k gyro and 8k pidloop, it doesnt seem to be able to run anything higher, everytime I try to enable the 32k or 16k options, it reverts back to 8k.

I believe F4 boards are going to be the next step as they are much faster and powerful than there F3 predecessors. As betaflight adds more features, the hardware requirements will inevitably need to be faster as well.

ESC:
35amp blheli-S esc's that have bursts rates of up to 40amps. They are a great set of 4in1 ESC's that will let you run 2s to 6s Lipo packs. It arrives with blhelis firmware 16.6, and set up to run dshot600 in betaflight. Make sure to adjust motor timing to "MEDIUM LOW", in order to avoid getting FOD.

Initial Impressions:
Excellent build, the quad felt very well put together and felt really solid. Everything, from the motors down to the frame, all felt like top notch quality. Lot's of little things like motor wires wrapped in braided shrink wrap (not sure what that's called), as well as something as simple as the power wires being tied to the frame, detail oriented items like this is what I like to see, and it's not just because I don't have to do it myself, but it actually seems like Furibee is making the effort to improve their quads. I think the thing that stuck out most is when I tried to bend the arms, they don't bend one bit. They are extremely stiff, in fact all of the carbon on this quad is super stiff.

Flight Performance:
I was very happy with the power and the way this quad flys. It is powerful throughout the entire powerband, in fact I found myself flying around 50-75% throttle 90% of the time. The flying experience is smooth as butter, responsive, and basically does exactly what I want it to do. Minus desync, and VTX issues, this is a great quad.

Pros:
`Excellent, high quality components
`Excellent Build
-Powerful- 2306motors, 35a ESC's ...
-Durable
-Switchable Power VTX and us ofMMCX connector
-Details (braided motor wires, battery cables tied to frame...)

Cons:
-D8 Frsky Receiver
-VTX not accessible through FPV OSD and takes over channel 6 (might be a positive to some)
-Noisy VTX
-Desync issues (fixed)
-No grip for battery
-Heavy steel prop nuts, X4= 9grams!
-Arms require re-tightening every so often

Final Thoughts:
The GT215, especially at the special pricing "I think only for frsky and PNP variants", is a great mini quad. Although there are a few issues, at the price I think it's a fair trade off. The FOD is an easy fix, and you can always replace the VTX, which will hopefully get rid of the noisy picture. The quad is a bit on the heavy side, but the power generated from the motors, compensate for the weigh, resulting in some impressive performance. The weight of the GT215 was the last thing on my mind when I was flying it. If you don't mind these 2 issues, this is a great choice.
Last edited by Danq0; Mar 07, 2018 at 11:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2017, 08:05 PM
Thread OP
Modifications Tuning & Setup help:
-A few people have been having FOD issues, I lowered the motor timing to medium low, as per andyrc's video, and it seems to have prevented any FOD's for myself.
-Also try loosening the screw holding the bell to the stator, I noticed more resistance on the the ones that were extra tight
Last edited by Danq0; Dec 10, 2017 at 11:04 PM.
Dec 04, 2017, 05:02 PM
Thread OP
Added to post 1: components section
Dec 05, 2017, 02:34 PM
Thread OP
took it out to do my first test flight, flew great during LOS sesh, but 20 seconds into my FPV testing, and about 100 ft in the air my VTX went kaput

luckily I was able to throw it into horizon mode and hovered it back with out incident. I am still not sure what happened. Its a very rare occurrence

EDIT: took it apart and found that the + wire running from the vtx to vbat became disconnected oi vey
Last edited by Danq0; Dec 05, 2017 at 02:51 PM.
Dec 10, 2017, 10:55 PM
Thread OP
Finally got it up in the air, finishing up my video review as we speak

Added initial impressions, flight perf, pros, cons, finals thoughts to post 1
Dec 10, 2017, 11:11 PM
Thread OP

Video Review

Furibee GT215 Fire Dancer - Is this Another Great Quad?? (21 min 8 sec)
Dec 11, 2017, 12:56 AM
Cool review but I will never be buying another BNF quad, especially from Furibee, until it has been thoroughly tested by many people. I have a Dark Maxx on the way, which I bought based on similar early positive reviews, and apparently they are gravely flawed(I.e. unflyable..) out of the box. Something I am not thrilled about… Even if they are sending out new FC’s, it will take more than a month for me to get mine, and I have already been waiting a month to get the quad, which isn’t even here yet…
Dec 11, 2017, 02:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Cool review but I will never be buying another BNF quad, especially from Furibee, until it has been thoroughly tested by many people. I have a Dark Maxx on the way, which I bought based on similar early positive reviews, and apparently they are gravely flawed(I.e. unflyable..) out of the box. Something I am not thrilled about… Even if they are sending out new FC’s, it will take more than a month for me to get mine, and I have already been waiting a month to get the quad, which isn’t even here yet…
Thanks!!

sorry to hear that man, there seems to be a number of people with the square buzzer that are having issues with the FC, hopefully you get one that works well.

I think Gearbest should QC one quad out of every 100 or so if they dont already do that.
Dec 11, 2017, 02:46 PM
Thread OP
nevermind once i turned the radio on bleh!
Last edited by Danq0; Dec 11, 2017 at 02:52 PM.
Dec 15, 2017, 11:43 AM
Hello
Thanks for your video it helped me to decide to buy it or not!
I received it yesterday and try to bind it with the d8 receiver, but it would not bind. (frsky fsi6 radio)

I installed x6b receiver today (i had a spare one, and I belive it is much better than the d8)
I can bind but on beta flight when I move joysticks it doesnt work. I cannot arm the quad.
I did set the quad on IBus and rx on uart 1
I tried also sbus and played on my radio with different parameters. But I couldnt make it work.
Any idea what should I check? I spent maybe 2 hours today on this issue. My radio work great on an other quad with f3 FC set up on Ibus

The mod I did :
To install the x6b I had to put the aluminium frame on risers. I also added rubber spacer for the flight controller and removed the red wire doing the sbus-vtx connection. I hot glue the esc connection for insulation purpose. Some pics coming
Dec 15, 2017, 11:52 AM
I just got around to watching the video review - nice job.. (No internet at home, but now at the in-laws..) Shame about the FPV vid quality. Nice flying.. I envy you ninjas who can fly acro LOS like that..
Dec 25, 2017, 09:11 PM
I received mine. After 10 flights on a 4S 1300, this is my experience in a nutshell:
Frame: solid. I've cartwheeled it without a scratch several times.
Props: very solid in a crash but probably could use a swap
Cam/vtx: I eliminated some noise by not having the vtx and rx share the same solder point, but some faint lines still show on occasion.
Motors: had one kinda tight. Had to loosen the bell bolt to get equal smooth spinning on it.
Tune: decent out of the box, but can be improved
Weight: 318g dry
Overall: a powerhouse, but not enough camera angle to take full advantage of it's speed. It also ravages my battery voltage at a crazy rate. I would buy again.
Dec 30, 2017, 11:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I just got around to watching the video review - nice job.. (No internet at home, but now at the in-laws..) Shame about the FPV vid quality. Nice flying.. I envy you ninjas who can fly acro LOS like that..
I forgot who told me to do this, but I applied a few layers of foil over the vtx's shielding, and it seems to help a bit. ill post a video of what fpv looks like with the diy foil shield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inform
I received mine. After 10 flights on a 4S 1300, this is my experience in a nutshell:
Frame: solid. I've cartwheeled it without a scratch several times.
Props: very solid in a crash but probably could use a swap
Cam/vtx: I eliminated some noise by not having the vtx and rx share the same solder point, but some faint lines still show on occasion.
Motors: had one kinda tight. Had to loosen the bell bolt to get equal smooth spinning on it.
Tune: decent out of the box, but can be improved
Weight: 318g dry
Overall: a powerhouse, but not enough camera angle to take full advantage of it's speed. It also ravages my battery voltage at a crazy rate. I would buy again.
yea this thing can take a beating, in fact all of the recent furibee releases have had very durable frames.

"Cam/vtx: I eliminated some noise by not having the vtx and rx share the same solder point"
thats a good idea, ill give that a go too
Last edited by Danq0; Dec 30, 2017 at 11:51 PM.
Dec 31, 2017, 05:07 AM
Thread OP
Furibee GT215 Fire Dancer with DIY Foil Shielding (2 min 24 sec)
Jan 09, 2018, 08:06 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Seems like this one is a bit of a fixer upper. Wish they had not opted for that cheap D8 receiver, something this size needs XM+ as bare minimum.

I also had a motor being screwed together too tightly. There is no thread lock on the screws, so when loosening these, it might be smart to add some before tightening the screw.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!

Quick Reply