Taranis Q x7 18650 battery tray - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 03, 2017, 12:37 AM
Mini-HowTo

Taranis Q x7 18650 battery tray

18650 Battery tray for the Taranis Q x7 (1 min 44 sec)

Having just got my Taranis Q x7 , I got on youtube to see what alternative battery solutions folks have come up with .
In all fairness some of them were Dodgy to be sure if not possibly Dangerous .
It's amazing the ingenuity of people as well their lack of fear or may I suggest common sense !
Who the heck wants to turn their RC transmitter into a ( Lets just say ) Puff the magic dragon ! ( Some people do )
So in anyway , I thought what would I do ? ( Well I actually did it )

I scrounged around and found some 18650 trays that are in series ( 8.4v ) and got right into doing some mods .
First the tray had to fit the battery bay , a little trimming was needed .
Adding the 18650 meant that the thickness of the tray lifted the 18650 high enough so you cant close the lid .
Obvious answer is to lower the batteries in the tray .
So using my motor tool I cut some slots in the bottom of the tray so the 18650 could sit lower and the lid could be closed .

Once the tray with batteries fit in the battery bay ( lid on ) . It was time to solder the 2s balance plug ...
Be sure to use something like pliers to heatsink to whilst soldering or you may melt the plastic tray around the contacts ..
Lastly hot glue the leads so as not to stress the solder joints .. and your done !
You now have a 18650 tray and you didn't have to do any dodgy battery mods .
Last edited by old4570; Dec 03, 2017 at 04:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2017, 09:04 AM
RAVI KOTHARI
Awesome job.
Although i thought the 18650 cell do not fit?
I plan to follow your lead & put in a pair of 18650 cells. Have some on their way.
Do not have a battery holder so will just hold them in place with a foam wedge.
Do these cells fit or am i returning my cells?
Regards
Ravi
Dec 09, 2017, 11:39 AM
Yes the 18650 fit ...
My battery cover goes on no problems .
Dec 10, 2017, 12:07 AM
No you cant fly it.
so I was running a 3d printed 2s 18650 tray when I first got my x7... I loved it, until I sterted getting random shutoffs mid flight due to poor connection. those little spring connectors suck in my opinion. and I wasn't moving around or anything. just sitting there flying.

I then tried a 18650 3s pack that I made by actually soldering wires to the batts and electrical taped them all together in a flat pack... this worked well and the charge was good, but was a little sketchy and my cells started to become unbalanced so i retired it..

I am now running the gensace 2s 3800 lipo from aloft and haven't had to charge it yet and I fly daily since i got it about a month ago... winner in my book.
Dec 10, 2017, 01:04 AM

Yep

I saw a dedicated 2s Lipo pack for the Q x7 for $20 ...
Would be just about perfect ...

But here is the rub !

The battery carrier I made cost just over $1 USD , the batteries I already had in my 18650 collection ..
I have plenty of chargers to take care of 18650's ..

So for me there are no issues , no problems . Just a cheap effective battery solution for my transmitter .
I have been running my Q x7 for several hours for several days playing with a micro quad and I could not be more happy with my solution .