48" HK Wicked Bee - RC Groups
Dec 03, 2017, 12:30 AM
Build Log

48" HK Wicked Bee

Hello, getting back into slope after about a three year layoff - I have a good friend that is a great flyer and we live about an hour north of a world class site - POM in Utah. I had a HK Bee kit laying around in my basement so I thought I would build it with a few predator mods and possibly do a gyro bee or mod it with rounded wing tips and do a central fin like a half pipe.
I also have a M60 kit and a few others but they will come later. I really haven't kept up with the latest build trends so I am hoping you guys will keep me on the right track as far as how to equip it and what target weight and build techniques I should use.
I did some searching and found some great builds by 1000 mph so I pm'd him to ask about some gear I have and he suggested the build log to get the best input from you guys..... I usually wait for prefrontal days to go to POM so it's usually blowing 20+ on most days that I fly - I think I'm a pretty good intermediate flyer, don't really combat a lot although if the right guys are there this will be the plane I combat with, I had a half pipe and a m60 before and I really like carving and front side flying mostly but Tony ( my slope buddy) has been doing a lot of DS lately and I am going to jump in on that as well. So firstly I need to decide if I want to build it as a wing with winglets or if I build it a la a half pipe. I have two different sets of servos and batteries on hand - a set of HS 322 HD and a set of Tower Pro 996R mg I also have a couple battery packs - a 4 cell AA 2300 turnigy and a 4 cell AAA 600 that I built from some nimh cells a while back....
I'm not opposed to buying new gear either so any and all suggestions are welcome..... Sorry for the long winded intro and Thanks for any input ..... Lou
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2017, 12:55 AM
So here is where I'm at currently, I used the round carbon tube mid spar and installed the ribbon spars. I joined the wings with some Welder Glue and then installed a 1.4 x 4.5 carbon drag spar. I then made a "ass joiner" out of some 4.5 mm ebony that I had laying around and epoxied it in, the wing tips are marked for rounding if I go that way and I am also including the pics of that gear I mentioned..... for tape I have the 3" stuff that comes in the kit and I bought some 2" 3m bi directional and regular strapping tape ( I think it's 9.5 mil thick) I would like to get some 30 yard rolls - does anyone have a suggestion for some great easy to apply and iron tape? Preferably a part number and link?
Last edited by asat; Dec 03, 2017 at 01:35 AM.
Dec 03, 2017, 12:49 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
I just looked up the specs on the Tower servos and they are a bit slow and heavy. Fine for a 30oz+ fully taped Bee but not the best option if you end up going gyro. My current gyro Bee has similar slow servos on 4.8v and it’s okay but it’s leaving a lot of gyro benefits on the table.
Also go for a 5cell AA if possible.
I’ve rarely been impressed with center fin chevrons. Best I’ve seen is the HP60 but that’s really more of a plank imo. I sure would like to eat my words.
Tape: the 3” Bee tape is excellent but it wrinkles if ironed. Maybe I’ve been using the wrong technique.
3m extreme is the best for shrinking and is best for fuses but a bit of a waste on a Bee. Most only use it on the LE.
The JVCC knock-off bidi is very good. All the qualities of 3m with 90% of the filaments.
Staples filament tape is excellent and reasonably priced.
Dec 04, 2017, 12:05 PM
Building with TLAR precision
Art,

By "iron tape", do you mean for covering? Most everyone is using laminating film these days. 3 mil for light builds or 5 mil for tougher. Andrew can set you up.

http://canuckengineering.com/new/catalog/film-covering

-= Dave
Dec 04, 2017, 03:26 PM
Yep, laminate is another option.
Dec 04, 2017, 11:40 PM
So do you paint then laminate or laminate and then cover with ultracote? Is laminating a better option than tape ? Stronger and more durable or just easier? Sorry for the questions - maybe a link to a build log ?
Dec 05, 2017, 01:04 AM
HXT900 servos(Hobbyking).
2" Hardware fibreglass tape on leading eadge for dent resistance.
Some distinctive markings top/bottom with coloured 2"wing tape.
Forget the covering stuff..this is a crash/bash/fun glider.
Go fly-have fun.

Any covering gets to looks daggy after a few hard arrivals.
And you 'will' have many interesting landings/arrivals(intended or otherwise)
But they are a great durable glider.
Dec 05, 2017, 01:14 AM
Well I want it to look at least as good as this one I used to have:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thum...lery&t=1793977.

Plus I use hxt900 servos in my Griffwerks planes and I don't think they are nearly robust enough for sloping at POM.... I am very familiar with the unintended landings there 😎
Dec 05, 2017, 01:56 AM
Many Bee theads around, the latest ones are probably in the DS forum.
Here's Daemon's 30oz Bee build specs.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post34782534
I also have at least 3 or 4 in my blog.
Here's my Gyro Bee thread. I freaking love this plane. AUW was about 34oz.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Gyro-Bee-Build
Heavier Bee build (45-50oz)
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...bagged-elevons

40oz Bee build. Includes a Bee II and BeEvo build.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...z-Bee-Doooeeet!

20oz Bee build.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...uild-Bacchanal
Dec 05, 2017, 02:33 PM
Faster is Better
Stu is the man, when it comes to the Bee.
Dec 05, 2017, 04:59 PM
I'm not reinventing the wheel. Just trying to keep some of the good ideas around from the folks who came before me.
We've been DSing a lot of foam lately and it's been a blast. No high pressure, mostly casual days, lots of laughs and BSing. The heavier Bee variants and lighter JWs are perfect for those days.
Dec 06, 2017, 04:50 PM
Approx LE Sweep comparisons.

Bee: 29

HP48: 20.5

HP60: 16.5
Dec 06, 2017, 05:48 PM
the occasional flyer
The Point rocks. Bummer about the hour drive.

-David
Dec 07, 2017, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlisburger
The Point rocks. Bummer about the hour drive.

-David
"Could be worse, could be raining...".

Ok I want to try a gyro bee - are there any good digital servos from HK that will work well with their orange receiver? Guess I'll shoot for mid 20 to 30 oz
Dec 07, 2017, 10:49 AM
The Lemon is far better than the Orange IMO. Those 322's are acceptable, upgrade only if you must.