Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 02, 2017, 05:27 PM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
Help!

Builder contest

Tiros dlg build challenge (2 min 48 sec)
Latest blog entry: cr
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2017, 05:46 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Great idea Gavin!

Here's an example of their build style:
Flite Test | Tiny Trainer BUILD (1 hr 23 min 55 sec)

Check out the Flite Test channel for more ideas.

And here's the bomber video that Gavin mentioned:

30-Day Build Challenge: 12foot WWII German Bombers | FLITE TEST (10 min 31 sec)
Dec 02, 2017, 06:51 PM
Cool, I've got 4 sheets of foamboard and some arrow shafts. I'm on it!

Dave

Sounds like more Friday fun at San Felasco
Dec 02, 2017, 07:10 PM
Great idea Gavin!
I do offer a few small changes to your challenge :
1. Limit the wing span to 1 meter, a 12 y/o is not tall enough to throw a 1.5 meter glider.
2. The tail boom has to be made from carbon, otherwise it will break even with a weak launch/hard landing, perhaps it is possible to use one section of fishing rod which is cheap.
3. How about Balsa only for the wing instead of the foamboard? It will increase the performance by a LOT...

Eitan.
Dec 02, 2017, 07:36 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Dude what gives? I was out there flying a CX3 in daylight and a true foamboard DLG with lights at night!

For review, this has been around for about a year:
DLG from dollar tree foam board -- Flitetest style! (7 min 34 sec)

Night flying at HHAEFI when the wing was in really sorry shape after I got it wet:
Night Flying Foam Board DLG at HHAEFI 2017 (2 min 49 sec)

These generated enough excitement that I sold 10 of them as pnf planes at Flite Fest East this summer. They fly decently nice considering the materials. I use balsa tails, but foam is possible.
Dec 02, 2017, 08:21 PM
Yes sorry. 1 meter.
I did not see a cx3 at ff south.
But that is not what yhis is about. Performence foamboard dlg
Dec 02, 2017, 09:27 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Trussell
Yes sorry. 1 meter.
I did not see a cx3 at ff south.
But that is not what yhis is about. Performence foamboard dlg
I reckon I put in 4 hours of DLG air time over three days, plus a bunch of time flying free flight DLGs.

So. 1m foamboard DLG at Felasco. Sounds like a winner. See y'all there.
Dec 03, 2017, 02:24 AM
I think Gavin's challenge is great. And it's nice to see that Joshua Finn has been on the Flite Test band wagon for awhile and that he's built a foam board Flite Test style DLG. Josh of Flite Test and Josh Finn know each other, they go back 2 1/2 years when Flite Test did this vid at Finn's home
Flite Test | F1D Indoor Free Flight (15 min 55 sec)
. It's at nearly a million views. ---- not trying to hijack the thread--- just pointing out Josh's legitimacy.
Dec 03, 2017, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the video . If Josh has a design he wants to submit and the design jury decides its the best than we will use it. There have been dozens of foam board designs over the years .The depron dynamite was what started all of this for me 9 years ago. Im sorry , I run very deep in the hand launch world. And very shallow in the flight test style world. We are going to see what the hand launch world comes up with. It is not to take away from anyone else's previous work . I Just wanted to challenge the world I know to do this .I want to see what they come up with .It should be great . Best wishes
Gavin Trussell
Last edited by Gavin Trussell; Dec 03, 2017 at 06:35 AM.
Dec 03, 2017, 06:39 AM
YES!!! I absolutely LOVE it!!! P.s. Fabri-Tac from Walmart works GREAT on foam. It's got some solvent in it so a little goes a LONG way. It is also flexible so it'll hold when the airframe flexes. NOT brittle. ��
Dec 03, 2017, 08:08 AM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Quote:
If Josh has a design he wants to submit and the design jury decides its the best than we will use it.
Competitions have rules and scores. Juries are for adjudicating disputes. Let's do this up right. Put up a score sheet for design requirements and flight performance. 50% design score and 50% from a couple rounds at San Felasco.

"The b******* stops when the stopwatch starts" -Curt Stevens
Dec 03, 2017, 10:46 AM
Closed Account
There is little chance I will be in San Felasco but I will certainly be building a plane and sending it in. I think maybe have the contest at a Flight Fest since it really is for them. Maybe we bring an extra plane or two for attendees to fly in the contest....

I got it, we build the plane, head to a flight fest and find a pilot to fly it in the event. The pilot needs to be under 14.
Dec 03, 2017, 05:08 PM
Curt I love your Enthusiasm . Bring your best foamboard 1 meter and we will do it ....Judged by your peers ....but remember you are challenging some of the top F3k pilots to a duel....They don't like to lose.
Gavin
Dec 03, 2017, 07:35 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Quote:
Curt I love your Enthusiasm . Bring your best foamboard 1 meter and we will do it ....Judged by your peers ....but remember you are challenging some of the top F3k pilots to a duel....They don't like to lose.
Gavin
Name's not Curt. You'll find that name scattered across Zaic yearbooks as a perennial winner of all things handlaunch back when radios and hand launch didn't go together.

Again, I request rules of play. Get the favoritism out of it. I've had enough of that crap to last me a lifetime. Why else would I stay home from an F1D world championship the year it's held in the US for the first time in over two decades.

-Josh Finn (so you can remember me)
Dec 03, 2017, 07:56 PM
Come out swinging
So, tell me about the fuse part of this? Can I send in a fuse-only? What type of radio gear does it need to be sized for? What's the diameter of the arrow shaft?

Thanks
Sean

Quick Reply