Dec 01, 2017, 02:23 PM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Thread OP

iSDT T8 Smart Charger - RCGroups Video Review

!Available From BuddyRC
Capable of outputting 30A at a maximum power of 1000 watts, the iSDT T8 can hammer-charge your batteries in the field or on the bench. It's small size makes it appealing to any quad pilots that pack light, traveling off the beaten path in search of that hidden-gem freestyle spot. It's also perfect for the airplane, car, or boat hobbyist that wants a single-output charger to top off big and small packs alike, quickly yet safely.

Coming in at $99, the T8 is moderately priced for it's size, but has the performance numbers to back it up. In this video review, I'll show you how the T8 menu works, and push its limits on 12v and 24v up to the advertised 30A. Let's take a quick look at the T8, then on to the video review!

CLICK HERE to order the iSDT T8 from BuddyRC.com.

!Specifications:
  • Input Voltage: DC 12-40V
  • Max Input Current: 35A
  • Output Voltage: 0-37V
  • Charge Current: 0.1-30.0A
  • Discharge Current: 0.1-5.0A
  • Max Charge Power: 1000W
  • Max Discharge Power: 20W
  • Balance Current: 2.2A/cell
  • Balance Cells: 8S
  • Supported Battery Type: LiFe/Lilon/LiPo/LiHv (1-8S)
  • NiMH/Cd(1-21S)
  • Pb(1-14S)
  • Support smart battery : Input / Output
  • USB Port: 2.1A/5V
  • Display: 2.4" 320×240 IPS LCD
  • Operating Temperature: 0-40°C
  • Storage Temperature: -20-60°C
  • Dimensions: 100x120x58 mm
  • Weight: 296g

!A Quick Look at the T8
@10550626
@10550625
The T8 comes with XT60 connectors on the input and output sides, and they are not swappable. If you use any other type of connector, you'll need to make a harness. The case is sleek with a plastic body and acrylic screen. The screen scratches easily, so iSDT included a screen cover that must be applied, much like a cell phone screen protector.
@10550624
@10550623
A USB charging output is located on the left side of the case, and supplied 5v out for charging phones and other USB-powered devices. A port for firmware updates is next to the USB port, but it's proprietary and requires an adapter. Sold separately, it adds almost $8 to the price.

The button setup on the front is easy to figure out: the center is a push to select, while scrolling buttons are on the top and bottom, a start/stop button is on the right, and a previous-page button is on the left.
@10550622
@10550621
The large case fan pulls hot air out efficiently through generously-sized intake and exhaust slots. I saw another review where the user noted cooling issues, but even after power charging at 30A output, I never experienced any overheating issues.
@10550620
!Video Review
ISDT T8 Smart Charger - RCGroups Review (6 min 21 sec)

!Conclusion
The iSDT T8 is the perfect compliment to your field case or flight backpack. It can be easily powered from 12v up to 40v, making any 3s up to 8s battery with enough mAh a good power source. The T8 can output 30A at 24v input, and around 24A at 12v, so it's definitely up to the task of topping off those large packs quickly.

Thanks for reading my review of the iSDT T8 Smart Charger. Head over to BuddyRC.com to order yours today!

!
RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:
  • RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.
Last edited by Matt Gunn; Dec 01, 2017 at 02:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2017, 04:05 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
30 amps from that small charger? NICE
Gotta get me one of those; just for giggles if nothing else.

Rick
Dec 02, 2017, 12:22 PM
I bought one last week and have run it up to 25a charging a few 5000mah 6s cells. Fans kinda loud but this thing KILLS the 1000w charger in that peice range. Very accurate and awesome UI. I'm happy. Powering mine with 2 HP 750w PSUs for 24v 1500w, those cost me 34 shipped from Amazon. Charging is FINALLY affordable
Dec 02, 2017, 01:24 PM
cfg
cfg
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by crasher12
I bought one last week and have run it up to 25a charging a few 5000mah 6s cells. Fans kinda loud but this thing KILLS the 1000w charger in that peice range. Very accurate and awesome UI. I'm happy. Powering mine with 2 HP 750w PSUs for 24v 1500w, those cost me 34 shipped from Amazon. Charging is FINALLY affordable
I totally agree! Buy the discharger, too.
Dec 03, 2017, 01:00 PM
Lipoly Killer

I like mine!

I bought this charger plus two 650 watt power supplies from Bangood. I wired the power supplies in series for 24.6 volts. I also got the paralell charger unit. It is made of aluminum and extremely well made. The charger and power supplies cost me $174. Not a bad price for an excellent charger and power supply.
Dec 04, 2017, 11:03 PM
I just received mine today and I like it but...

The sticker on the clear plastic over the GUI should be a plastic sticker and not a paper sticker so it peels easily without any residue or scratches from my fingernails. I almost went to the shop to get a snap blade knife. Glad I didn't.

I "assumed" the clear plastic had a protective cover over it. There is a thick clear plastic removable anti-scratch thingy with a round hole where the button is but I "suspected" protection over the GUI and not everything but the GUI. I tried to remove a protective layer that did not exist.

Charging a 1S battery is next to impossible if trying to use the balance plug.

The balance port will not accept a single cell balance tap (yes, some of us use those). I can get the plug to go in partially but I have to hold it to keep the connection. If I relax it loses connection and the charge stops.

I "assumed" that the ground wire of the balance plug would connect to the far left pin but I get a polarity error when I connect to the far left pin. It has to connect to pins 2 and 3 instead. There is a block that keeps the 1S JST balance tap from inserting into pins 1 and 2 and 2 and 3

When not using the balance plug on a 1S cell the charger voltage will not read correctly. It reads much higher than if it were to read from the balance plug.

When charging without the balance plug one has a double confirm to start the charge.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE how small this little guy is. Portable charging stations just got a LOT lighter while still maintaining a high rate of charge. Hopefully I saved someone from scratching the face of their new charger too.

Rick
Last edited by rampman; Dec 06, 2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Typo errors
Dec 09, 2017, 04:09 AM
Does this charger has presets settings ?
If not , a lot of accident are going to happen , this charger is way to powerful to constantly changing settings
I fly on on day, blade 130s, 3D quadcopter and a +2 meter plane. the difference( even chemistry) is so big that presets are needed.
Change multiple settings every time is going to go wrong, at a point in time.

I have two ISDT Q6 but I really miss presets. When I charge bigger packs I always use one of my Cellpro PowerLab 8.
And yes they are big and heavy, but thy are very save, sometimes to save. It always shows clearly the preset, current , chemistry and a name.
Dec 09, 2017, 10:57 PM
O_o
request some understanding. i just bought this. the input power escapes me since using a power supply with XT60 to power it up is new to me, but i do have a 12V 3A AC adapter w/XT60 connector from my TinyWhoop battery charger. i tried paracharging 2 1500mah 4S batteries at 1C (3A), but the T8 resets upon reaching 2A charging rate. am i being limited by the AC adapter?
Dec 09, 2017, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartk
Does this charger has presets settings ?
If not , a lot of accident are going to happen , this charger is way to powerful to constantly changing settings
I fly on on day, blade 130s, 3D quadcopter and a +2 meter plane. the difference( even chemistry) is so big that presets are needed.
Change multiple settings every time is going to go wrong, at a point in time.

I have two ISDT Q6 but I really miss presets. When I charge bigger packs I always use one of my Cellpro PowerLab 8.
And yes they are big and heavy, but thy are very save, sometimes to save. It always shows clearly the preset, current , chemistry and a name.
I have yet to set the cell count. Amps are required to be set every time for different sized packs.
My guess is if you want/need presets you will be best to spend a LOT more and buy a PLx and the Bump Charger to work with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaGo
request some understanding. i just bought this. the input power escapes me since using a power supply with XT60 to power it up is new to me, but i do have a 12V 3A AC adapter w/XT60 connector from my TinyWhoop battery charger. i tried paracharging 2 1500mah 4S batteries at 1C (3A), but the T8 resets upon reaching 2A charging rate. am i being limited by the AC adapter?
Definitely the cause. These work best with 24 volt power supplies but a 12 volt one will suffice but amps will be down to half of max.

Rick
Dec 09, 2017, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman
I have yet to set the cell count. Amps are required to be set every time for different sized packs.
My guess is if you want/need presets you will be best to spend a LOT more and buy a PLx and the Bump Charger to work with it.

Definitely the cause. These work best with 24 volt power supplies but a 12 volt one will suffice but amps will be down to half of max.

Rick
The new Revo PowerLab Touch series now come with an integrated BUMP controller:

http://www.revolectrix.com/chargers.htm
Dec 09, 2017, 11:32 PM
O_o
thanks for the quick reply! couple more questions: if i get this AC adapter, will my T8 be able to reach the max 30A charging rate? http://www.isdt.co/isdt-cp16027.html do you know where i can buy extra screen protectors for it in the USA? i've done a search and can't find them sold separately, not even ISDT proper. thanks!
Dec 13, 2017, 10:38 PM
cfg
cfg
Suspended Account
Won’t even come close.

Anybody use a T8 to program the fd100 discharger?
Dec 14, 2017, 07:30 AM
I got mine in use for a while now.
Being able to charge 5000mAh 12S stickpacks (2x 6S) at 3C is great. Its small, it is easy to use and it is cheap.
Highly reccomended.
Dec 14, 2017, 09:24 AM
O_o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoemse
I got mine in use for a while now.
Being able to charge 5000mAh 12S stickpacks (2x 6S) at 3C is great. Its small, it is easy to use and it is cheap.
Highly reccomended.
What's your power source?
Dec 14, 2017, 09:32 AM
I know you aren't asking me but I have used mine at 30A output parallel charging two 6S 12,000 mah packs a few times but pushing something at max makes me a bit nervous so I usually charge at 20A.
My power source are 2 server power supplies in series for 24 volts. I use either 2x DPS750 for 62 amps output or 2x HP HSTNS-PL14 for 38 amps output.

Rick

Quick Reply