Katie martin int'l tribute 2018 - Page 2 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by bob57hdt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 07, 2018, 12:13 PM
Life is better now
The new year is here....time to take down the Christmas lights and tree. My daily routine includes at least one visit to this web site and the Hobie Tales of Curt White's. Speaking of Hobie Tales....if you are not familiar with it, it is a great place to get informative info on Hobie and Superhawks and to read about the experiences of Hobie lovers the world over. There are several new or refurbished Hobie Hawks that are being prepared for this years Katie Tribute. Last year we had 16 that showed up.....how many do you think will show up this year? Keep your mind going on ideas for this years Katie Tribute event shirt design. I am thinking one or two colors to keep the cost down.....what is your idea?
HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all.....
Bob
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2018, 09:24 AM
Life is better now
Another month has come and gone....where does the time go. It will be June before I know it....better get busy...much to do yet.
I heard from our good friends in Roto-Cadiz-Spain. It seems that like here in the US, the advent and proliferation of drones has cause some serious problems in Spain too. Unfortunately it takes little skill and no brains to operate these RC toys and whether lack of understanding of the rules or just stupidity, city, state and federal agencies have jumped in with all kinds of restrictions to try to get this under control. Unfortunately they are RC and therefore anything RC gets restricted. This is the case in Roto-Cadiz-Spain. During the Spanish edition of the Katie Martin International Tribute, they have enjoy support and sponsorship from the city. They fly over a public beach and have been doing so for many years, but now they have been informed they can not longer do this due mostly because of the hazard that drones have become.
UltimateTwo has been heading up this group in southern Spain and in a desire to continue to honor Katie and keep the tradition going request permission to hold this years Katie Martin Tribute at their flying field. They would be towing gliders up and using electric powered sailplanes instead of the slope ships in the past.
What is the Katie Martin Tribute all about....or more importantly....what was Katie all about. Katie loved RC, most specifically quiet flight...sailplanes and electric. Her unbounded love for our hobby drove her to do all the things she did and her primary focus was always on creating, designing, building, expanding our sport and supplying modelers with a way to enjoy this great hobby. Keeping this in mind, and my purpose for the Katie Martin Tribute, informing the world of who Katie was, honoring her contributions and keeping her memory alive. I admire our friends in Spain that want to continue to honor Katie and have given my permission for them to stage their version of this years Katie Martin International Tribute at their field.
Jan 31, 2018, 04:43 PM
Faster is Better
Sorry to hear about the troubles in Spain, thanks to the advent of mindless drones.

Very challenging times right now for our wonderful hobby.
Latest blog entry: LEG Fat Albert Take 2
Jan 31, 2018, 05:15 PM
Life is better now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopemaster
Sorry to hear about the troubles in Spain, thanks to the advent of mindless drones.

Very challenging times right now for our wonderful hobby.
Nothing wrong with the drones....it is the mindless operators! Apparently nationality has nothing to do with stupid!
Jan 31, 2018, 07:21 PM
Faster is Better
I agree Bob.

At any rate, it's just terribly frustrating that responsible RC enthusiasts are paying the price for careless operators.

Makes my blood boil.
Latest blog entry: LEG Fat Albert Take 2
Feb 01, 2018, 08:17 AM
Hi all

Yes, here in Spain we have a new law for air R/C operations since 01/01/2018. The new law has some (more) wide restrictions about flying areas, altitude, distances and so on. Basically they are trying to control the UAV/FPV (whatever type, multirotors, rotating wing, fixed wing ...) operations but put in the same bag ALL the air R/C operations, be commercial/professional or hobby/sport. With sailplanes in slope we need to observe some limits, nothing extra limitating but put some weight to many modellers/flyers who fly out of clubs or flying fields we call it here "go for free". I have almost 27 years "going for free" with my insurance and never had any problems, always fly with all the normal procedures and taking care of the security first at all, after almost 44 years as modeller/flyer I know pretty well what not to do.

In Rota/Cádiz they have more limitations because there is a few slopes and basically they fly from dune or little slopes on the beach, they have many years flying in this way without any problems but with the new law they canīt.

For sure the "multirotors wave" has something to do with all this news restrictions ...... I think is better to create a law for the sale of that things than a law for all the R/C air operations. But going deeper and analyzing the law, this is not the first law/regulations here in Spain about it, we can see that the open wide restrictions with the new law is to take out of the cities the R/C flying models basically seeing the distances from aiports/aerodromes, restricted air spaces, etc.. From my point of view and personal opinion is a law against terrorism more than a true law to "control" R/C air operations, all the politicians after a terrorist attack say the same "will be going to live our lives in the same way like until now, they canīt brake our freedom", but after terrorists attacks are coming new legislation that in a way or other restrict or limit our "freedom" ..... why they don't do a law for surface R/C operations ? the "problem" here is the word DRONE and in this way they can limitate the air R/C operations, if the word be ROBOT then other problems (BIG) in many areas for example the semaphore .... many people put as example that thing or washer/dryers like "robots".

Political+religion+R/C fly don't mix well, in any case, the Rota group as well the Madrid group are trying to do the best to conmemorate the Katie Martin Tribute 2018, thats is for true and sure.
Last edited by PA22; Feb 01, 2018 at 09:35 AM.
Feb 01, 2018, 09:22 AM
Life is better now
As I have stated many times before.....we have to do what we can and my sincere thanks to all you loyal Spanish modelers that take the time to honor Katie . She is looking down and smiling at your persistence and thanks you all for honoring her in any way you can......many thanks.
Feb 01, 2018, 01:57 PM
Pendiente - Madrid - Espaņa
Hello to all

Unfortunately this is like you comment Mr. Bob, as far as I'm concerned, I follow the new rules trying to be legal with them, my main practice after many years without Flying Glow, it was always Flight on the Slope, apart from some Electric Sailplane , and little else, this is enough for me to have fun, To be in order with the new law, I already have insurance, a printed copy of the new law, all ordered in a Folder, also some engraved plates to identify (plane, owner, contact info, etc.) and stuck to the models (something like "dog tags"), in my case for four models at the moment, ... they are the ones that I use the most, among them my beautiful K2.

On the other hand, I am very sorry for the news of my friend Manolo in Rota (Cadiz) Spain, (... although I imagined it) ... with the cut of flights in the dunes of the beach in Rota, they always had that great tradition, but I think Manolo know How to do the things, even if it is possible to do the next International Katie Martin Tribute in the club La Gaviota flying field, ... Life in everything Evolves.

Mr. Bob, with a lot of continuous enthusiasm, my Planes are almost ready, ... even better my ill-fated PSS 339 MB Aermacchi which crashed in the event last year, also restore it, achieving even a reduction in weight, and a better rigidity structural thanks to the good advice of the friend PA22, ... he helped me a lot in this, Thank you.

I think you should not worry too much about the next Tribute to Mrs. Martin here in Spain to celebrate for both groups, I'm looking forward to it in Madrid, adding also my legality to the new law, security, common sense and order, we just have to wait for a little more, count on it.

Regards...

Juan Martinez

CIRROS
Last edited by cirros; Feb 01, 2018 at 02:09 PM.
Feb 01, 2018, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob57hdt
As I have stated many times before.....we have to do what we can and my sincere thanks to all you loyal Spanish modelers that take the time to honor Katie . She is looking down and smiling at your persistence and thanks you all for honoring her in any way you can......many thanks.

THANKS to all you, like we say and for us is very important, NEVER FORGET and KEEP IN MIND the good people

Will be there with all yours like always, keep the blue side up !!!
Feb 01, 2018, 08:07 PM
Mongo like wind. Wind Good.

Katie Martin Tribute

Bob,

I just love this photo. It's one of my favorites. I'll post it here for others to enjoy.

Your smile says it all!

Tony
Feb 02, 2018, 09:18 PM
Life is better now
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1VrV2
Bob,

I just love this photo. It's one of my favorites. I'll post it here for others to enjoy.

Your smile says it all!

Tony
Show up this year and we can get a picture of you and I WITH the original Katie Hobie and the Katie Superhawk.....now that would be special!!! Hope you can make it buddy!
Feb 02, 2018, 09:20 PM
Life is better now
I am very pleased with the efforts and loyalty you wonderful and enthusiastic Spanish flyers show for Katie.....I know both groups will do a great Tribute to Katie again....
Feb 09, 2018, 01:08 PM
Hello Bob;
At this time it's my intention to attend Katie's Tribute this year. I was going to fly a local scale contest instead (same weekend) but I've been too lazy and my new model won't be finished. I'll be bringing my usual Hawks, and one or two of my other models that haven't flown at Torrey yet.
Plan on at least one donated item for the raffle this year. I'll let you know soon exact quantity and item description(s).
Take good care,
John
Feb 10, 2018, 11:19 AM
Life is better now
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole
Hello Bob;
At this time it's my intention to attend Katie's Tribute this year. I was going to fly a local scale contest instead (same weekend) but I've been too lazy and my new model won't be finished. I'll be bringing my usual Hawks, and one or two of my other models that haven't flown at Torrey yet.
Plan on at least one donated item for the raffle this year. I'll let you know soon exact quantity and item description(s).
Take good care,
John
Thank you John for being lazy......we certainly would not want to lose you to a scale contest....besides you have too much fun at the Katie Martin Tribute. I have asked Katie if she could arrange great flying conditions, at least on Saturday. As usual....I and several others will be getting our planes and fingers in shape on Thursday and Friday before the Katie Tribute. I know it is a very long drive for you and we certainly appreciate your attendance and all the other things you contribute to honoring Katie. See you in June!
Feb 16, 2018, 11:35 PM
Life is better now

2018 Katie Martin Tribute event shirt

Hope all of you have made it through the worst of the Flu and Cold season. I got my first Flu shot....at my age they say I should have a Flue shot....well I did not get the flu but a caught a cold....I never get colds....should have gotten a cold shot!

It is mid February and I have not heard from any of you about a design for this years Katie Tribute. I was thinking about a single color stylized Katie launching something......what are your thoughts?

Do you want a shirt this year? If so we need to get going. We need to agree on a design, get with the t-shirt people and have you all place your orders in the next couple of months. As Katie would tell me "Let's get crackin!

Post your opinions, ideas drawings.....it does not have to be super artist rendering, we can still have the t-shirt company spruce it up, but we need to give them an idea to work with. Let me know.....Yes or No on t-shirts this year.....and or your ideas......

Bob

PS: The 57 chevy has new carpeting, new door panels and today I received the new 15'" steering wheel.....Will paint the cowl soon and finish the interior. Will be driving it before the end of Feb. Whoopie!

Quick Reply