Katie martin int'l tribute 2018 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by bob57hdt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 01, 2017, 12:31 PM
Life is better now
Discussion

Katie martin int'l tribute 2018

KATIE MARTIN INTERNATIONAL TRIBUTE 2018

My fellow slope friends,

It’s that time of year again to announce the 8th Annual KATIE MARTIN INTERNATIONAL TRIBUTE Fly-in. The event in the USA will again be hosted by the Torrey Pines Gulls at the beautiful Torrey Pines Glider Port slope near San Diego on Saturday, June 2nd, 2018.

Last year our flying friends in Germany and two separate tributes in Spain joined in to honor Katie. We heard from those in Great Britain and Venezuela who wanted but were unable to stage their tribute but were with us in spirit.

This year I wanted to get the word out earlier so that those that wish to attend will have time to make arrangements and those overseas can begin planning too.

The last four years were a truly international events and my sincere thanks to everyone, here and overseas that came together to honor Katie.

Many will show up on Thursday and Friday, check out their aircraft and get a little flying in before the Tribute to Katie on Saturday. You are invited to join in the fun if you can make it. I will again try to be there on Thursday to get my planes ready and enjoy some good old slope soaring...Katie's and my true love.

Bring as many planes as you can....brand, style, size does not matter....remember the conditions can vary from lead sled super soarers to super light DLG, so bring a variety.

Every year our group here and abroad keeps growing with more people and more aircraft. We were fortunate to have some incredible media coverage in 2017 with AMA Air video program with the Katie Tribute as the main story. Dave Garwood, the Slope soaring columnist for Model Aviation dedicated his whole column to the Katie Martin Tribute with TPG writer Dale Gottdank and photographer Ian Cummins supplying the coverage. It that was not enough, RC Soaring Digest also offer up coverage of the 2017 Katie event.

We had over 100 aircraft representing more than 50 designs and manufacturers and two great shots of those that brought Hobie, Superhawk and Bob Martin aircraft...it was a wonderful event again.

JUNE 2nd IS THE OFFICIAL DAY OF TRIBUTE TO KATIE. FLYING BEGINS AS SOON AS CONDITIONS PERMIT AND AT 12 NOON PDT WE BEGIN WITH THE READING OF THE KATIE DEDICATION, WE WILL HAVE THE OFFICIAL MOMENT OF SILENCE, FOLLOWED BY THE FLYING OF KATIE'S ORIGINAL HOBIE HAWK WITH HER ASHES IN THE NOSE FOLLOWED BY THE SPECIAL EDITION KATIE MARTIN SUPERHAWK THAT WILL FLY FORMATION WITH KATIE. WE THEN INVITE EVERYONE TO JOIN IN FLYING WITH KATIE. THE REST OF THE DAY WILL BE OPEN FLYING. . A GREAT TIME SOCIALIZING AND FLYING WITH OLD AND NEW FRIENDS . ASK ANYONE THAT HAS BEEN THERE....IT IS A MUST ATTEND EVENT. MANY HAVE TRAVELED HUNDREDS OF MILES TO PARTICIPATE.

A CHARITY RAFFLE BENEFITING THE AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION WILL BE HELD IN THE AFTERNOON with great products again. We would like to again thank our 2017 benefactors for their contributions to this worthy charity raffle: Hitec/RCD, Great Planes, Dream Flight, Fly by Night Models, John Cole, Robin's Hobby, Dremel, Curt White and Bob Smith Industries.
Here is a map on how to get to the Glider Port if you do not know. This link came from the Torrey Pines Gulls web site:
[/url]http://www.torreypinesgulls.org/torrey-pines-glider-port/

I encourage you all to make plans to attend and let us know what you will be bringing. Remember, this event is to honor Katie and enjoy a day of flying, food, fun, raffle, meeting old friends and making new ones. Any brand, vintage or size of sailplane is welcome. (no motors allowed)

If you wish to know more about the beginning and history of the Katie Martin Tribute click "https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2321337"HERE.

Watch for more news and comments on this thread soon.

Bob Martin
Last edited by bob57hdt; Dec 01, 2017 at 01:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2017, 02:19 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Cool, really looking forward to it!

My Labrador retriever is supposed to be a duck hunter, but he caught a Hawk in my backyard.

So Iíll bring it with me this year.

Dave
Last edited by DWA; Dec 01, 2017 at 02:29 PM.
Dec 01, 2017, 04:02 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
It's on my calendar!

Dale
Dec 01, 2017, 08:36 PM
Old Master, New Grasshopper
Labs love hobies... No volleyball this year so I should be able to actually make it.
Dec 02, 2017, 08:36 PM
Will be another great event!

http://www.torreypinesgulls.org/wp-c...2016-07-08.pdf
Dec 05, 2017, 01:58 AM
Life is better now
I see a few of you have found the 2018 Katie Tread......It seems a long way away but time flies by. I would like you all to put on your thinking caps and come up with a design for this years Katie Martin Int'l Tribute event shirt. I really liked the concept and design of last year but the cost for multi colors nearly ate up all of the profit for the charity. Let's see if we can come up with a attractive one or two color design. There are thousands of you out there that follow the thread,
and the more that offer ideas the better. Everyone's idea will be considered.... That is what is so great about these forums....we can exchange information and let large audiences know things.

If you look at the stores, we are already into the Christmas Holiday season. Therefore, I would like to take this opportunity to wish each and every one of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous new year.
Bob
Dec 08, 2017, 09:50 AM
Build Fly Crash Repeat
Planning on it, hope to have some new stuff ready in time.
Yesterday, 03:27 AM
Gots me a good used Hobie Hawk
I don't think that I'll go back through the thread to see for sure, but it seems to me that the picture of Katie throwing a glider (SR-7 ?) would look good in just a line drawing, which I would think would be the least expensive.

If not that one, then I'm sure you have other photos of her launching or flying or maybe just posing with a Hobie Hawk or a Bob Martin design glider.

I think a cool design would be one that shows Katie sitting on a cloud, and looking down and smiling on us standing on the cliff edge, holding transmitters with gliders cruising the ridge.

On another note, I remember seeing a Katie glider that the owner had modified by increasing the wing span and using polyhedral with rudder instead of ailerons. Did anyone ever make an R/E glider with a Duralene fuselage? It would be an appropriate choice for a trainer. I once pulled a wingless Coyote out of the dirt, it had penetrated up to the wing saddle. A little TLC with a heat gun put her back in the game, albeit a bit scratched up. Gotta watch those nylon wing bolts, they can get stressed out and not be noticed.
Yesterday, 11:56 AM
Life is better now
Steve,
Thanks for the ideas for the 2018 Katie Tribute event shirt. I love the creative part of everything....got some ideas..now start to formulate some actual designs....come on everyone....let's turn ideas into designs.... Probably bad time of year....most of you are focusing on Christmas, kids, grand kids etc.
I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and prosperous New Year.....
Bob

PS: Steve.....When Mark Smith and I sat down and tried to merge our companies...we developed and marketed a RE Trainer incorporating a Katie II Dura-lene fuselage and Wanderer Wings and Tail....named it Tempo circa 1992.
Yesterday, 11:58 AM
Life is better now
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro
Labs love hobies... No volleyball this year so I should be able to actually make it.
Look forward to flying with you......
Bob

BTW: Labs love everything!