Jul 08, 2019, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerCow
Had it out again yesterday - same throttle cutting problem, very frustrated and not happy with this boat.
Phoned Horizon, help-guy was great. He decided it was 50/50 battery/charger problem and chose to send a new charger to try, and that was the trick!

Works great - except for the "self-righting" feature - my dog and I had quite a run to catch it floating upside down down the river...200 meters through a corner and some shallow rapids we caught it; thought I'd never see it again.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2019, 07:24 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Fast flowing water is always a risk for losing a boat. Glad you got it back.
Jul 18, 2019, 06:14 PM
FPV IT
I just picked one up today at the LHS and got 15% off with the current sale HH is doing. I didn't even bother running it stock. I immediately took it out of the box and upgraded to brushless. I used an 3200kv edf motor and 30a esc I had on hand. Had to swap out the radio system and threw in a cheapo HK 9 gram servo. I took it up to a small pond/mud hole behind the house. I ran it on 2s and 3s. 3s was a hoot but did spin out some. Now I'm going to work on getting a water coil around the motor. Anyway here's some pics.
Jul 23, 2019, 09:40 AM
UpliFT-RC
Does anybody recommend using this to seal up your boat around the hardware, to help keep some of the water out?
Jul 23, 2019, 07:48 PM
Just Plane Nutts
This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMZILLA
... I took it up to a small pond/mud hole behind the house. I ran it on 2s and 3s. 3s was a hoot but did spin out some. Now I'm going to work on getting a water coil around the motor. Anyway here's some pics.

Love to see some video. Would a water jacket fit that one? Aluminum tube coils are not very good at removing heat in comparison.

Specs say that motor is 28mm in diameter, rather large for so small a boat. If you run a 2445 inrunner on 3S then you may get a water jacket to fit in there if the larger one won't.

Motor: https://www.horizonhobby.com/bl15-du...0kv-eflm3215df
Motor's manual here: https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/E-f...structions.pdf
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Jul 23, 2019 at 08:12 PM.
Jul 23, 2019, 09:57 PM
FPV IT
I'm have some video of the conversion and a little run time. I just have to get around to editing it and posting.

I'll get some good run time once I get the motor is water cooled. I don't want to burn it up just yet. I'm going to stick with the EDF motor being I had it on hand in the parts bin. It was basically a free conversion using parts that would have otherwise laid around for years if ever used again I ordered a coiled cooling tube from a Rio boat or something. Its for a 540 size motor. I'll just re-wrap it for the smaller size motor and hope for the best. I wonder if using heat shrink tubing to compress the coil tight against the motor would help. Or hurt by cutting off air flow and trapping heat. All most all esc's are shrink wrapped though
Jul 24, 2019, 04:01 AM
Just Plane Nutts
The coolant will drain off any heat in the tubes. Heat shrink tubing around everything should be OK.

It's just getting heat from the steel motor casing to the aluminum tubes where it struggles. A cooling jacket places water directly on the casing.

You might try putting some thermal-transfer compound between the casing and the tubing to move BTUs to the latter quicker. It's the same stuff used between heat sinks and microprocessor chips.... available on eBay and most electronics supply sources.
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Jul 24, 2019 at 02:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Jul 24, 2019, 08:13 AM
FPV IT
I slapped together a video. A little long. Run time starts at 5:57

Proboat Jet Jam brushless upgrade (9 min 57 sec)
Jul 24, 2019, 10:13 AM
Nice work. that thing rips! I believe you will need a reversible ESC to get the torque needed self right. I would think a motor that size would have the mass/torque, but I'm not sure. Weight and the battery location/weight could be a factor as well.
Jul 24, 2019, 12:03 PM
I donít have a Jet Jam yet but I would think that this boat would self right if the battery holder was removed so the battery can sit directly on the floor of the boat. I would strap the battery down in a way that would not even need the thickness of Velcro under the battery. A ľ inch in battery height makes a big difference in self righting. I even tape the wires to the floor to get faster self righting in rapids.
Jul 24, 2019, 01:42 PM
also might be worth locating as much as you can on the right side, as is stock, rather than evenly, as long as it doesn't list noticeably or change the steering
Jul 24, 2019, 02:45 PM
FPV IT
Hmm. It all makes sense and sounds good. I'll make some changes.
Jul 24, 2019, 08:21 PM
I just got a Jetjam in the mail, my first rc jet boat. I was testing it out in my pond for a little. It seemed to run fine for a bit, and then it started to not go anywhere. The motor was making a noise when I tried to run it but just wasn't going anywhere. They on and off the throttle i finally got it to move back to the shore. I looked at the impeller and its spinning. I didn't have time to take it apart. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Jul 24, 2019, 08:27 PM
FPV IT
First and easiest, check the grub screws on the motor/drive coupler. One could be loose and the motor is spinning inside the coupler or coupler around the driveshaft.

If not loose. Then pull the driveshaft out and see if the prop is loose on the shaft.
Jul 25, 2019, 04:23 AM
Ok, I'll try it when I get home. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quick Reply