Sep 03, 2019, 06:31 AM
FPV IT
Anyone figure out why there failing yet. Water intrusion, jamming, stripping gears or burning up?

My first boat was never run stock and I pulled it all out for upgrading. I just bought another boat. I'll try and address the stock servo before it becomes a problem...
Last edited by TOMZILLA; Sep 12, 2019 at 06:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2019, 08:21 AM
The extra 2 wires come off the potentiometer and go to the esc/rx. I have one JJ still stock, when it dies, I planned on trying to wire up those wires to a regular 9g servo without the pcb. The one I opened, totally rusted from that Ebay seller, there are no electronics in it other than motor and potentiometer. If the motor isnt burned out, it just might work.
Sep 03, 2019, 07:11 PM

Possible brushless option?

I was looking at the new Holmes Hobbies 380 revolver 2600kv for a mini crawler project and I thought I might try it in the JJ with either the castle micro x or the older sidewinder micro. I’ll prolly stick to 2s maybe try 3s to check heat. Will 2600kv be too slow tho?
Sep 03, 2019, 08:03 PM
FPV IT
Its a tad low I'd say. But then I try and make everything I got fly like a bat out of hell. 2600kv should much faster then stock and ya still have the 3s option. Mine is set up with a 3200kv. On 2s its very controllable and fast. On 3s its really fast but heats up. I'm still working on the water cooling.
Last edited by TOMZILLA; Sep 12, 2019 at 06:37 AM.
Sep 03, 2019, 08:15 PM

HH Revolver 2600kv

I’m cool with a tad faster. Should be torquier too and that is cool with me. Mostly looking for a little better efficiency and more durability. Any thoughts on the two escs?
Sep 03, 2019, 08:57 PM
FPV IT
I'd go with a water cooled if your buying one and not using something from the parts bin. I used a 30a airplane esc from the bin and now switching over to a water cooled esc to go along with my now water cooled inrunner motor.

The motor you picked out is an outrunner so water cooling is most likely out unless you can find a water cooled motor mount and get it to fit. Inrunners are good because you can throw a water jacket on and cool the entire motor not just the mount area. But most likely you will loose the self righting.
Sep 03, 2019, 09:23 PM
When I was deciding on inrunner or outrunner, these were out of stock, and I just got an alert they are back in stock
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...r-3400kv.html?

I went with a 28mm inrunner and water jacket, but some have had success using that outrunner. Will self right, just have to find a way to cool it.
Sep 17, 2019, 02:13 PM
Jumpstart your brushless Jet Jam project... This needs a new home, I have no other use for it. Racerstar 2445 3000kv. Bolts up, needs 3S. has o-rings for a cheap, easy to find 28mm jacket. Will not self right, or at least wouldnt with the 1300 pack I was running. Since I run in a lake, I went with a 2845 to self right. Pm me if you want it.
Sep 29, 2019, 03:38 PM
My brushless JetJam sank in a lake today. It's gone. it did the regular dip and dive, and came back up with just the transom sticking out of the water, then it went down *fast*. You guys should probably put some pool noodle foam in the nose. Lesson learned.
Sep 29, 2019, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tware
My brushless JetJam sank in a lake today. It's gone. it did the regular dip and dive, and came back up with just the transom sticking out of the water, then it went down *fast*. You guys should probably put some pool noodle foam in the nose. Lesson learned.
That’s not good news. Sorry to hear that dude. So no chance of going for a dive to recover it?

Its one of the reasons I run in my favourite spot at the local swimming hole rather than the lake at the end of my road. It’s not the biggest area and I do run up the banks a bit when testing at speed. But it’s only 20 feet deep at best so if a boat makes like a brick and goes down...it’s recoverable. A lesson for us all. Hope you get it back.
Sep 29, 2019, 05:34 PM
Thanks. It's probably recoverable at 10 to 15, just don't have the means yet. Just know I'm not swimming for it.
Sep 30, 2019, 05:16 PM
GET BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!!!
Yeah, Even as a Socal scuba diver, there is no way i'm swimming in our lakes to recover my boats..

DH
Sep 30, 2019, 06:08 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Grappling hook! They've been used for centuries for underwater recovery. Be forewarned that grappling is a job of patience.

Sometimes old tech works best.

If you have a cheap $40-$50 Gopro clone with a watertight case, put it on a line taped to a bright flashlight or bike headlight and go explore the bottom. You might find more than one boat!
Latest blog entry: My You-Tube channel
Sep 30, 2019, 07:09 PM
Platinum Card Member
Unless you took a GPS reading when/where it happened, there's probably no point. But I have seen some amazing recoveries using neodymium magnets on Youtube.
Sep 30, 2019, 07:16 PM
lol, I'm having a hard time letting go... a magnet, fish finder, inspection camera, all those would work because its only 15-20ft from the shore and 10-15ft down. I was trying to get back to shore. Getting over the spot would be easy with a small flat bottom boat. Just dont have one. I feel like I'll try again.

the funny part is I was trying to rescue a dead Proboat Valvyrn. I managed to finally retrieve that boat eventually, but the little plastic bumper on the front probably drove the nose down too much and it took on water fast.

Quick Reply