Durafly™ Me-163 Komet 950mm High Performance Rocket Fighter (PNF) (Red Edition) - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by Prof100, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 29, 2017, 10:03 PM
Discussion

Durafly™ Me-163 Komet 950mm High Performance Rocket Fighter (PNF) (Red Edition)

Just arrived as part of my 2017 Black Friday Sale purchase. It was $85 shipped from Hobbyking USA warehouse (11/29/17). Free shipping closed the deal for me. Normal price is $117 plus shipping..
  • 900mm (35.4”) wingspan ARF foam plane
    2200 Kv motor with a 6x4 prop
    3S or 4s lipo.
  • Assembly was easy although no glue or instructions were included in the box. The downloaded manual says to use included glue. HK site has a downloadable manual. Beacon RC Foam Tac glue was used. It used to sell for $4 a bottle but it doubled in price a few years ago for what appears as nothing more than a money grab. Servo arms had to be drilled out to accept the clevis.
  • Wing tip skids added to preserve the foam.
  • Reflex was set on the elevons per manual. Throws as published are well over double what is needed per a review at the field today with two other planes. Following instructions for throws and reflex will result in a epic adventure on your maiden flight. Reduced reflex to 0 mm because this design of the red version had reflex built into the wing but the manual was NOT updated. Reduce elevons to 40% of published specs.
  • Short servos extensions required for Rudder and drop gear servos to connect to the receiver. All I need to do is verify CG. I carved out a pocket for the receiver on the starboard side.
  • A couple of coats of pure acrylic protect the surface and I painted the bottom of the plane a bright yellow (Duplicolor) and left two red stripes. This helps with telling top from bottom.
  • Added extra magnets in canopy.

It should be a hoot to fly.

Maiden was an adventure. It is a point and shoot affair. It has a lot of torque roll. It needs a heading hold gyro or stabilizer to assist with takeoff. I am readying an Eagletree Guardian inertia stabilizer for this little plane that simply increases the number of flying days. No rush because I do not plan on flying in the snow.

Bill
Last edited by Prof100; Dec 13, 2017 at 11:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2017, 10:36 PM

12-3-17 maiden flight

No video but here is the report. Taking off is an exercise in punching it and right rudder to control the torque roll. I tried to taxi it on pavement and it was a joke. Ground looped like crazy.

Plane climbed with full throttle. I was told my CG is too far forward. Also, I had too much reflex. Full down trim was needed. I completed the flight and adjusted trims mechanically. Did not fly again. Flew other planes.

Rob Mason suggests the following for CG:

I balance mine at the front of the little bumps on the wing (around 1/2 span) to 1/4" back on the bumps.
Last edited by Prof100; Dec 07, 2017 at 10:01 AM.
Dec 07, 2017, 07:24 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
I picked one up in the sale too. This is actually my second ME163, I also have the older camo colour scheme but that's in need of some TLC so feeling lazy I just ordered a new one.

I found all the servo wires to be long enough without extension, I guess it depends where you decide to put the Rx.

They fly really well but it's not a plane for the beginner. Throws do need less than manual suggests, especially aileron which is very sensitive. On quite rough grass it needs a very long take off run because the sit angle on the ground is flat so hard to get to lift. On a better surface it's probably not so bad. CG wise I used the rear of the recommended range (from memory 215mm from front face or cowl / back of spinner) and this worked fine, i didn't actually need any up reflex.

The dolly can tend to stick. The sides of the plastic spigot that inserts into the fuselage benefit from a little sanding to remove any moulding marks. If landing on grass, dirt tends to accumulate in the hole where the dolly fits which will make it jam so the hole needs cleaning out between flights.
Dec 07, 2017, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
I picked one up in the sale too. This is actually my second ME163, I also have the older camo colour scheme but that's in need of some TLC so feeling lazy I just ordered a new one.

I found all the servo wires to be long enough without extension, I guess it depends where you decide to put the Rx.

They fly really well but it's not a plane for the beginner. Throws do need less than manual suggests, especially aileron which is very sensitive. On quite rough grass it needs a very long take off run because the sit angle on the ground is flat so hard to get to lift. On a better surface it's probably not so bad. CG wise I used the rear of the recommended range (from memory 215mm from front face or cowl / back of spinner) and this worked fine, i didn't actually need any up reflex.

The dolly can tend to stick. The sides of the plastic spigot that inserts into the fuselage benefit from a little sanding to remove any moulding marks. If landing on grass, dirt tends to accumulate in the hole where the dolly fits which will make it jam so the hole needs cleaning out between flights.
Yes to all your comments. I did find the recommended throws and reflex specs to be invalid and a recipe for a challenging maiden. For example, the recommended reflex resulted in a maiden with full down trim needed and it was still not enough.
Last edited by Prof100; Dec 07, 2017 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply