Nov 29, 2017, 12:48 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

building Dumas's "jenny Lee" tug

Greetings all....I started building Dumas's "jenny Lee" a fine Southern tug...I've not seen another build, wondering if any one is interested in it...CplFuzz
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2017, 01:13 PM
Nov 29, 2017, 01:40 PM
Grumpa Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL.FUZZ
wondering if any one is interested in it...CplFuzz

Rhetorical question?

Of course we are interested!
Nov 29, 2017, 04:55 PM
boat butcher

Mark
Nov 29, 2017, 06:39 PM
Thread OP
I missed P.Tritle's build-log...I started out following the instructions until having to cut & put all those legs on the ribs, I used steel V blocks & magnets to hold the ribs in place...after the ribs & sheer were all done I started the planking, did the first 5 planks and stopped....I've been collecting detailing bits & pieces, some Wet Goose brass parts to swap out things like the wood port holes for brass ones, next I bought resin doors from Harbor Models for the deck house & wheel house...I jumped to building the deck house & wheel house, I've decided to cut open the windows & frame them & I'll do the inside detail of the wheel house, ships wheel & controls....I also wainscoted both deck & wheel house...I decided to planked & detailed the deck....I'll get the bulwarks & deck in next...cut scuppers in the sides of the bulwarks....built a shelf for the electronics & something to hold the battery in place...plan to put hinged hatches with port holes in the engine skylight...will hide the control arm with a grating or deck also...other details will be fire hose & rack, tow lights on the mast & brass navigation lights...I guess that's it so far....CplFuzz
Nov 29, 2017, 06:42 PM
Thread OP
By the way, thanks Patmat for the heads up on that build-log....CF
Dec 01, 2017, 07:20 PM
Thread OP
Well it was off to the boat-yard today...got some detailing done...drilled some holes for the horn & spot light & made up the back boards for the navigation lights...decided to shorten the length of the horn, was a bit long, cut , drilled & re-soldered...plan to work on wheel house details tonight, ships wheel, working compass & engine telegraph....
Dec 01, 2017, 07:30 PM
Nice work !
Dec 01, 2017, 10:36 PM
Grumpa Tom
Looks great so far!
Dec 02, 2017, 08:54 PM
If you cant find it Build it!
Looking great Fuzz that decking looks familiar, a nice size tug to handle unlike my monsters!
Dec 03, 2017, 11:21 AM
Thread OP
LONGBIKE....it is a change...one of my boats, a Clyde Puffer, the "VITAL SPARK", weighs in at 75 lbs. (+/-) & is 48 inches in length....I use a small handcart to put it in & out of the pond...CF
Dec 03, 2017, 11:24 AM
Thread OP
As far as the deck, the kit is either smooth or says to scribe it, easier & better looking to plank it...besides wood is good...CF
Dec 03, 2017, 06:52 PM
If you cant find it Build it!
Wow 75 lbs that with battery in or out?
Dec 04, 2017, 11:43 AM
Thread OP
The model weighs in at around 30 lbs. empty, then the battery at 20 lbs. & two 11 lbs. ballast weights....By the way, FYI, the boat is from Pandora Models & is marked inside as "VICK # 1", it was from Bob Harrera and built by Leon Emery some 15 plus years ago.....

Quick Reply