This thread is privately moderated by Jacques.Eloff, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 29, 2017, 10:58 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Skywaker 1830 for Aerial Mapping

Here is a short build log for my latest fixed wing mapping drone - Skywalker 1830.

This aircraft uses a Sony QX1 camera which has the large APS-C sized sensor but in a very compact form. The camera is on a 2 axis mapping gimbal for efficient/reliable mapping even in windy conditions. Camera can be tilted for oblique imagery for 3D modelling work or where good representation of facades/vertical surfaces is required.

Components:
-Camera is a Sony QX 1 in custom-built 2 axis gimbal (see video)
-Flight controller is a Pixhawk 2.1 Cube, with airspeed kit and OSD
-Power management/monitoring is a Mauch setup with dual BEC power supply to the flight controller
-Radio gear is Futaba 14SG Tx and 6303SB Rx
-Motor is Axi 2826/10 v2 (920KV)
-ESC is Hobbywing Platinum 50A
-Prop is 12 x 6 APC pusher
-Elevator servos are Futaba 3114 (dual), ailerons and rudder are HS65
-Runcam FPV camera, Immersion RC VTX
-RFD 868x telemetry radio
-Power source is a pair of 4S 5,200mAh Lipos and I also have some 7,000mAh Li-ions which should get me over an hour of air time.

The airframe was ordered from FPV Model, decent service.

Mods include:
-Reinforcement of tailplane
-Dual elevator servos
-Capped and hinged control surfaces

Weight details:
-Airframe is 2,600g, including camera and gimbal (355g for both)
-2 x 4S 5,200mAh Lipos come in at 864g, so AUW is around 3,500g

This plane is a great flyer and I have spoilerons setup on the Pixhawk which kills the lift and adds plenty of washout for landing.

Skywalker 1830 Gimbal Demo (0 min 33 sec)
Last edited by Jacques.Eloff; Oct 31, 2018 at 03:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2018, 09:36 PM
I got FPV fever
Brief but to the point build notes and pics. Thanks.

I received mine a week ago. Didn't bargain for such a massive fuz.
Two questions :

1. What type of glue did you use? Elapor, wood glue or something else?

2. Motor kv and watts ?

Cheers
Oct 31, 2018, 03:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude
Brief but to the point build notes and pics. Thanks.

I received mine a week ago. Didn't bargain for such a massive fuz.
Two questions :

1. What type of glue did you use? Elapor, wood glue or something else?

2. Motor kv and watts ?

Cheers
Thanks, just realised I did not mention the motor in my components listing. If you want to go for a good quality motor, then try something like Axi 2826/10 v2, which is 920KV and rated for 740W. Use 12 x 6 prop for this setup and it should give around 750W. A cheaper option (which I used for a while) is Turnigy SK3 3548 (840KV).

For glue, I used a mix of epoxy, Gorilla glue, UHU Por, depending on components being glued. Make sure you sand the foam a little to take off the mould release.

Hope that helps!
Oct 31, 2018, 08:00 PM
I got FPV fever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques.Eloff
Thanks, just realised I did not mention the motor in my components listing. If you want to go for a good quality motor, then try something like Axi 2826/10 v2, which is 920KV and rated for 740W. Use 12 x 6 prop for this setup and it should give around 750W. A cheaper option (which I used for a while) is Turnigy SK3 3548 (840KV).

For glue, I used a mix of epoxy, Gorilla glue, UHU Por, depending on components being glued. Make sure you sand the foam a little to take off the mould release.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for your reply. I've 3 spare eflite motors but they have low ev. So I've ordered a Aerodynam motor of the same specifications you mentioned.

Thanks for your response on adhesives too.

I really like your colour scheme. I've my own design scheme which you can see when I complete the model.

I'm also considering using a tailwheel linked to the rudder. The tail skid looks a bit primitive.

Cheers
Nov 03, 2018, 11:27 AM

Im looking for the UHU POR glue

Hi guys, do you know where I can find the UHU POR glue in the United States???
I can't find it on amazon or ebay...

Thanks!

Quick Reply