Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 29, 2017, 08:05 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Video

V Bombers - Vulcan, Victor & Valiant - The Last British Bombers (11m05s)

Curious Droid YT channel
Aerospace, space, technology and quite a lot of history of the two whilst covering some of the more oddball subjects every now and again.
Presented by Paul Shillito aka Curious Droid from Essex in the UK.

V Bombers - Vulcan, Victor & Valiant - The Last British Bombers (11 min 5 sec)
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Nov 29, 2017 at 09:48 AM.
Nov 29, 2017, 08:36 AM
Figure Nine Champ
A bit of B-52 prejudice there, and notice that the 52 is still flying.
Nov 29, 2017, 08:51 AM
You know nothing....
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
I didnít get that impression
They beat the 52 in the bombing competition,thatís a fact.
But he acknowledged that the 52 design allowed it to be updated,which couldnít been done with the V fleet.
Pretty balanced I thought.

As an aside,would the 52 stand up to the low level flight stresses that scuppered the Victor and Valiant?
Nov 29, 2017, 08:57 AM
In the world of airplanes, Those V Bombers are ugly..
Nov 29, 2017, 09:09 AM
Gravity-Compliant User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybird
I have to disagree, especially about the Vulcan. I have personally seen active Vulcan bombers flying over both Nebraska (out of their station in Offutt AFB) and in New Zealand (RNZAF Base Woodbourne), and they are a very graceful beauty in the air. We still have one on display at the Air & Space Museum near Omaha.
Nov 29, 2017, 09:36 AM
Figure Nine Champ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart A
They beat the 52 in the bombing competition,that’s a fact.
Once, way back in the day. Meanwhile, take a look at the Stanley runway, Oh,and the 52 was always capable of stand off attack, and had much greater range.

Vulcan: 2,607 mi
B-52: 4,480 mi

Quote:
As an aside,would the 52 stand up to the low level flight stresses that scuppered the Victor and Valiant?
Uh, the Victor didn't, watch the video. And yes, the 52 does regular low level attacks during practice.
Last edited by madsci_guy; Nov 29, 2017 at 09:42 AM.
Nov 29, 2017, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybird
Really? I think the Valiant is a beautiful aircraft; so graceful especially for a bomber. I like the Victor's T-tail sweeping back. And the Vulcan; it's a big wing and that's cool.
Nov 29, 2017, 09:44 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
I like the turbofan in wingroot look, it's clean, and elegant.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Nov 29, 2017, 09:46 AM
You know nothing....
Quote:
Once, way back in the day. Meanwhile, take a look at the Stanley runway, Oh,and the 52 was always capable of stand off attack, and had much greater range.

Vulcan: 2,607 mi
B-52: 4,480 mi

Uh, the Victor didn't, watch the video. And yes, the 52 does regular low level attacks during practice.
Ok,I get it .If it ainít made in the good old US of A it ainít worth
Nov 29, 2017, 09:53 AM
Figure Nine Champ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron van Sommeren
I like the turbofan in wingroot look, it's clean, and elegant.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
My dad designed engine installations in jets, and his opinion was that burying the engines in the wing was fatally flawed. The early engines were very prone to fire and if the engine caught fire inside of a wing, that meant that the wing could become structurally compromised and break up.

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=736067

Quote:
Could anyone advise me as to why no other manufacturer chose to use the Comet style of having the engines buried in the wingroots ?.

When you look at the Comet, it looks so much more aerodynamic compared to other a/c that have their engines hanging from the wings.

I can understand that on modern By-pass engines it would not be practical to do this, due to the size but why didn't any other manufacturers at the time choose to follow DHc and bury the engines in the wingroots ??.
Quote:
Besides that, I think it might have to do with the risk of an engine "flying apart", as witnessed on the UA DC-10 that crashed at SUX. If a blade separated from the engine, it would probably do more harm to a Comet/Tu-104 than to an A340/Il-96.
Quote:
I think Boeing decided to put them in separate pods, in case of an engine fire. That way the fire would not spread to the other engine.
Quote:
Do you really want an uncontained engine fire or failure that close to the wing spar?
One I hadn't thought of, but I think is pertinent

Quote:
Many reasons already mentioned are (more or less) correct,
however the primary reason for having the engines on the wings suspended from pylons is for...wing bending relief, and the related structural weight savings therefrom.
Last edited by madsci_guy; Nov 29, 2017 at 10:00 AM.
Nov 29, 2017, 09:58 AM
Useful Idiot
Quote:
And I believe "your" B-57 is still flying.
Nov 29, 2017, 09:59 AM
Figure Nine Champ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart A
Ok,I get it .If it ainít made in the good old US of A it ainít worth
I think you've got it

The Victor was downright ugly, you know.
Nov 29, 2017, 10:03 AM
Useful Idiot
Quote:

The Victor was downright ugly, you know.
It wasn't designed to win beauty contests.
Nov 29, 2017, 10:05 AM
I've seen the Victor and Vulcan after the Falklands thing at El Toro. I was surprised how small they were.
Nov 29, 2017, 10:06 AM
Figure Nine Champ
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards
And I believe "your" B-57 is still flying.
In the US, only a couple of NASA birds, I believe. Shoot, NASA has a TU-144

And yes, one version of the B-57 was "ours". IIRC that is the type used by NASA.

Quick Reply