Nov 28, 2017, 04:58 PM
Discussion

New flying site in Morgan Hill

A Morgan Hill resident is making an 11 acre site (treeless pasture) near Dunne Road and Hill Avenue at the edge of the foothills available to SBSS. We're in the process of acquiring AMA site insurance. Out of appreciation and respect, we need to establish use guidelines. This site is no substitute for our world-class Hollister venue, but may be convenient for others. Four of us tried out the site flying winch, hi-start and DLG despite too windy conditions 2m hi-start and DLG. The prevailing wind is N-S (i.e., parallel to 101).

There are no trees, three ranch houses at comfy distances, and relatively low power lines along the south end of the field. We do have permission to drive onto the field.

What a great Christmas present!

Noel
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2017, 08:00 PM

Morgan Hill Site

This is great! We need to have a fun fly down there ASAP.
Dave
Nov 28, 2017, 11:49 PM

Excellent idea, Dave!

This would be a good way to start out and get the field introduced. The insurance application has been submitted, so maybe a date could be suggested and we just do it. There are no time conflicts or competitive activities, i.e., soccer, dogs, school or whatever. Kevin, the landowner, tells me it's greening up nicely hopefully smoothing out the landing.
Nov 29, 2017, 04:39 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Noel,

Thanks for all your effort in securing this site. This is a pretty huge deal for the club. Wish there was more time to discuss this at the last meeting.

Sean
Nov 29, 2017, 08:26 PM
E-Scale & Sailplane Guy
Will it be possible to do aerotowing there? Either Gas or Electric?
Dec 01, 2017, 03:50 PM
Wow this is fantastic news indeed! I am excited to see this new field and fly! What limitations doe we have? Access days? Glider types? Aero-tows? Very exciting. Thank you to all that made this happen - Merry Christmas indeed!!
Dec 02, 2017, 10:35 AM
It might be large enough, but I am not sure if it is level enough. It is less than 5 minutes from E. Dunne and 101. Come down and take a look.
Dec 03, 2017, 06:59 PM
∞ Boundary Layer
Thank You Noel
Last edited by rduder; Dec 08, 2017 at 12:22 AM. Reason: location available to club members from Noel
Dec 03, 2017, 07:03 PM
Thank you for posting that question rduder. I drove around there yesterday (I live in Gilroy) and could not ascertain where field might be. Hope someone will post an answer!
Dec 03, 2017, 11:50 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
How wonderfully exciting! I will have to go and help check it out, too. It's a lot closer than Hollister, though nothing can equal that field.
Dec 06, 2017, 09:40 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne
Somewhere around here?
Exactly Jay!
Dec 07, 2017, 01:34 AM
DLG Fan
Deleted
Last edited by Robert Rent; Dec 07, 2017 at 11:02 PM.
Dec 10, 2017, 11:45 AM
High Lift Coefficient

Checking out Turner Field

Noel asked me to check out his new electric glider and help him trim it out. We decided it would be good to do it at the new field and make it an all electric sailplane day. Noel, Price and Ken were there. It was cool and windy, typical weather for this time of the year so no big lift, but good day to fly and orient ourselves with the new field.

The ground was not as rough as I thought it would be. We flew wood, foam and glass fuse ships and they all seemed to do fine on the landings. The grass is just growing and I expect it be a lot taller in the next couple of months. The landing pattern has to be thought out carefully as there is power pole on the other side of the road. However stepping towards the middle of the field and making the landings there, should avoid the turn near the pole. The hills on the east side of the field should provide plenty of slope lift around Spring time when winds turn Northwest.

We only flew e-sailplanes, and I believe this it a great venue for this type of soaring.

BTW, Kevin the landowner showed for a bit while we were flying and we had a nice conversation. He was very welcoming, pleasant and very interested in what we were doing. I told him the next day he has some time to hang around he should try flying with us and he thought that would be great. Hopefully we can pick a calm day and bring a trainer and give him some stick time.
Last edited by Sailhigh; Dec 10, 2017 at 12:00 PM.
Dec 11, 2017, 05:42 PM

A few more photos from 12/9/2017

It was a beautiful day, flying electric self-launchers only, northerly light breezes.

My first flight with the Radian XL (new plane and first time for menwas with a 3S 3200mAh battery, but plane flew nose heavy. Second flight was with 3S 2200mAh battery with improved performance climbing, motor off gliding and turning.
Last edited by Noel Eberhardt; Dec 11, 2017 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply