EDF powered,VolksPlank - RC Groups
Nov 28, 2017, 10:42 AM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Discussion

EDF powered,VolksPlank

Never one to play follow the leader on any of my designs. This is my first all printed plane, the Volksplank.
I had a few design goals. I wanted it to be a ducted fan and plank flying wing. I have built at least 20 other planks of my own design, (but no edfs). Almost all of them fly well.

This is what I have come up with.

My first work with this was with a motor in the fuselage but had trouble making cg so I moved the motor below the wing but then though about having impact damage when landing. I never printed any parts of the second version. For this third version, I went with the motor on top, similar to a HE162 Volksjäger but without separate horiz stab. I designed a single vert stab but decided that a fairly vertical V tail might have less impact on thrust and drag. Still the exhaust is very close. to the tail surface.

There are a total of 14 printed parts. It should have an all up weight of 12.2 oz and about 106 sq in of wing. Power is a 50mm ducted fan. The wing loading is interesting with about 16.6oz/sqft. and a cube loading of 19.

Better numbers than a store bought Katana EDF that my wife bought me a few years ago.

I have not put up STL files yet. Want to see if there is any interest and want to fly it mainly to see if the thrust line is good and to see if my edf has enough thrust.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2017, 11:45 AM
The only R/C pilot in the city
@basicguy, looks cool!

The only dubt about thrust vector. I would make it along top of fuselage with end between V tail fins.
Nov 28, 2017, 12:52 PM
Retired CAD guy
Nice job on an all up 3dp PLane !

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...-web&fr=mcafee

I built one from Ziroli plans back in 1969.

Plans on Outerzone now too.

Notice the straight out the back thrust line.
Nov 28, 2017, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Ah I am full of doubts on every plane before the maiden Sergey.

The fuselage is built square with the ducted fan. I had a straight back nozzle on it and thought about it. Decided that having the nozzle turned up well behind the wing trailing edge might help keep the nose up. Actually pushing the tail down.

Planks are notoriously sensitive to pitch as one might expect. I have the battery and gear below the wing and the thrust line above the wing, its going to make quite a torque in the pitch direction. If the exhaust were in front of the CG I would turn it the other direction.

If it needs forward stick to fly straight, I can install a straight back nozzle.
Dave
Dec 04, 2017, 10:23 AM
Had hoped to have the folks plank airborne before now. Couldn't get the thrust out of the motor. Turns out I had the EDF in backward .

Doing a little redesign on the fan nacelle and it may be ready.
Dave
Dec 04, 2017, 11:48 AM
Retired CAD guy
Never saw a Canard V-tail EDF.

It's a First ! ;>}
Dec 08, 2017, 12:57 AM
Id love to have a try at making it. If you fly it id love to see a video
Dec 08, 2017, 08:09 AM
Yeah If I ever get it airborne I will post it for others to make.

BirdOP yeah a canard, I don't have one on this model but it might be nice.
Dec 08, 2017, 10:18 AM
Retired CAD guy
That comment WAS just a joke as you mentioned that the EDF was in Backwards. ;>}

But, hey ...

Nothing wrong with canards .

That worked for the Wrights !
Last edited by birdofplay; Dec 23, 2017 at 09:23 AM.
Dec 10, 2017, 06:49 AM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
That comment WAS just a joke as you mentioned that the EDF was in Backwards. ;>}

But, hey ...

Nothing wrong with canards .
Dave has one of them.

canard maiden (3 min 43 sec)
Dec 22, 2017, 04:51 PM
Here the volksplank after some necessary redesign.

The motor has been turned around and gives normal thrust CG is at 15% with a 1300 3s. Going to need a 1000 3s to make CG of 19%

Quick Reply