RCG Place of the Month - Pomona Valley Model Airplane Club - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

RCG Place of the Month - Pomona Valley Model Airplane Club

This month's featured Place is the Pomona Valley Model Airplane Club located in Chino California. This is an AMA Gold Leader Club that operates as a non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement and enjoyment of R/C model airplane flying.

Splash

RCGroups November Place of the Month

Every month we like to feature a group from our Places page. There are literally thousands of Places listed, pointing out sites like flying fields, hobby shops, race tracks and boat ponds all over the world. The RC Map is a great way to find a new place near you and meet some new friends.

This month's featured Place is the Pomona Valley Model Airplane Club located in Chino California. This is an AMA Gold Leader Club that operates as a non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement and enjoyment of R/C model airplane flying. They have roughly 400 members and get this, TWO flying fields! One field is in Prado Park and has an 800x50' runway. The other is at the old Norton AFB in San Bernardino with a 490x50' runway. Be sure to make it out for the Annual Toys for Tots flying event on December 3rd.

Check out the Pomona Valley Model Airplane Club Places Page

Nov 28, 2017, 01:07 PM
AeroDan
Most BEAUTIFUL field I’ve ever visited. Arrive early on Saturday’s for best spots. GREAT Field!!!!
Last edited by Bell47G2; Nov 28, 2017 at 01:26 PM.
Nov 28, 2017, 01:19 PM
It’s been awhile since I’ve flown there but they used to have a flagpole adjacent to the runway that many people hit ( not me ) but it sure seemed like a poor place to put an obstacle.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Nov 29, 2017, 09:29 AM
Kicking Tires
I've flown all over the world and PVMAC's field and facilities are among the best. Even more important, the people there are friendly, organized, and inviting. Big Jolt every year was a good example of how everyone came together to put on a great multi-day event at a reasonable price. If anyone is in the area passing through, it's worth a detour to say hello. Members fly a range of aircraft and powerplants. Turbines, though, are forbidden last time I checked.

A fun bonus is during air show season or other heavy civil flying times, many vintage aircraft can be seen flying in and out of nearby airfields. Planes of Fame, for example, isn't far.

Finally, and perhaps the most important, the Mexican restaurant on the western corner of the "main" road before you pass the corrections facility is delicious for simple homemade tacos. At least, it hasn't killed me yet.
Nov 29, 2017, 09:32 AM
Kicking Tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
Itís been awhile since Iíve flown there but they used to have a flagpole adjacent to the runway that many people hit ( not me ) but it sure seemed like a poor place to put an obstacle.
The pole is there, along the fence. It requires taking a longer approach, but it's physically avoidable. I didn't like the visibility hazard it presented, more than its physical location. But, I'm a guest there not the boss.

To Jason Cole, I really appreciate reading this featured field series!
Nov 29, 2017, 10:15 AM
And that pole is why I won’t fly there still, it’s stupid and dangerous. If there is a north to south crosswind aircraft taking off can drift and hit it causing them to careen into an area where people may be. Like I said, I didn’t hit but I have seen this who did, not pretty.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Nov 29, 2017, 05:30 PM
Team Spektrum FPV
warm and friendly.... unless you showed up with a helicopter.... granted my experience was a decade ago, but I was actually treated very poorly there by a board member for just being a heli and FPV guy... with turbines it was a fire hazard situation with the dry surrounding fields, with helis it was just model airplane guys vs model helicopter guys, and with FPV at that time they just thought I was completely nuts, but everyone did, so no surprises there... but I was only there once.
When I showed up there in 2007 with a 3D helicopter and an FPV slow stick they treated me like I was the devil incarnate before I opened my mouth or flew. ( and I was a guest with a member, I didn't just show up randomly...) I put that stuff back in my car and was able to identify with them flying an EDF, but it left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

That was the closest field to my home for 2 years being only 15 minutes away, and I drove all over the LA area going to every other flying field and slope site, every one of them had different cultures, but Prado was low on my list....
Nov 29, 2017, 06:24 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Its a beautiful club , love the paved runway .
I would love to fly at that field, looks like the best of the best !

I only joined the club scene a few years back , but on the occasion that I post pics, the RCG member seem to really like the field .
Skip the planes and look past at the incredible green fields and low mountain backdrop
Nov 30, 2017, 03:05 PM
its TALON TIME!
I love flying at prado! That fence on the hill bit me in the but pretty bad once when the motor quit on my f8f...landing gear clipped it and made a mess of tge plane lol #sigh
Dec 01, 2017, 12:26 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
Its a beautiful club , love the paved runway .
I would love to fly at that field, looks like the best of the best !

I only joined the club scene a few years back , but on the occasion that I post pics, the RCG member seem to really like the field .
Skip the planes and look past at the incredible green fields and low mountain backdrop
BEAUTIFUL Field!!!!
Dec 01, 2017, 07:30 PM

Prado

Yes, it is a great field. I enjoy flying there every weekend. Long runway is perfect for maidens. Can fly most anything, helis are fine in the heli flight area. Things have changed since a decade ago and I've been flying for over a decade at this field. Well there is a daily fee for non members but if you have something special that you want to fly in an unobstructed flight space Prado is tops.

Thanks for sharing the field RCG!

Oh, and yes there is a Toy for Tots event this weekend to help support our local military families.
Dec 02, 2017, 10:02 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Beautiful field. Friendly group of people. I love to fly there. Thanks for the article.
Dec 04, 2017, 11:54 AM
Team Spektrum FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffassbinder
...Can fly most anything, helis are fine in the heli flight area. Things have changed since a decade ago and I've been flying for over a decade at this field...
good to hear Jeff, I think you might have been there that day I was there, you were flying EDFs (no helis) and I was flying my GWS ME-262 if I recall.
Dec 05, 2017, 08:21 PM
I've been flying at least once a week at Prado for a little over 3 years now.
The 800 foot, smooth paved runway, is the best you will find anywhere around here.
Never noticed a pole or anything else for that matter, that could be a problem either flying or landing.
I flew at the "Toys for Tots" event Sunday (had a great time)
Lots of good deals at the swap meet to.
Heavy winds in the forecast until Friday, so my usual Thursday flying will probably be Friday.

Added:
There are poles with wind socks, at both ends, just south of the runway, but if you hit one of those, you're already in a place you shouldn't be.
I've never seen anybody hit either of those poles & never heard anybody complain about them either.
I'm sure it happens, but apparently not very often.
Last edited by Clive66; Dec 05, 2017 at 08:44 PM.
Dec 08, 2017, 12:19 AM
Great folks and great facility ! (Prado).

I miss "The Big JOLT" events at Prado. The availability of on site dry camping was big factor in folks being able to attend the multi day event.
It was certainly one of the best of SoCal electric flying events. Hopefully, one day it will return.
Latest blog entry: Updated blog - Oct 2017