AMA Expo-West 2018 Ontario, CA (January 5, 6, & 7) - RC Groups
Nov 27, 2017, 10:33 PM
AeroDan
Discussion

AMA Expo-West 2018 Ontario, CA (January 5, 6, & 7)

Anyone going? Ive never been, so does anyone know what Ill be in for? Is it worth it, or is it just a Whos-Who? of Cranks, Snobs, & Dweebs? What Im trying to say is are Geeks like me welcomed?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2017, 11:19 AM
characters welcome!
We're all geeks...especially the characters running the Indoor Flight Area back in the ballrooms.

mw
Nov 28, 2017, 11:55 AM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
We're all geeks...especially the characters running the Indoor Flight Area back in the ballrooms.

mw
Thanks for the uplift, Mark. The reason I ask about the make-up of the attendance, is that I’ve had some back-luck at other events; especially the 2007 IPMS-USA Nats. The fact I didn’t have to repeat Kindergarten, was a REAL problem for the “powers-that-be” there. And the fact I’m in an interracial marriage was a HUGE problem for the host chapter of that event as well. Thanks Again, Mark.
Nov 30, 2017, 11:35 PM
Hi,

The crowd tends to be older. The show seems to get a little smaller each year. Some good deals here and there. I debate about going every year, but seem to wind up going anyway. I don't see anyone caring about an interracial marriage in California these days.

I would tell you its worth a look if you haven't been to a trade show in a while. Come on down.

Mickydee
Dec 01, 2017, 01:43 AM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee
Hi,

The crowd tends to be older. The show seems to get a little smaller each year. Some good deals here and there. I debate about going every year, but seem to wind up going anyway. I don't see anyone caring about an interracial marriage in California these days.

I would tell you its worth a look if you haven't been to a trade show in a while. Come on down.

Mickydee
I just might give it a whirl on Saturday, the 6th. Having never gone before, Ill try anything once. Thanks Mickydee.
Dec 03, 2017, 09:14 AM
Getting smaller every year, one of the biggest vendors is downsizing from 8 spaces to 2, I’m not telling which one though. Plus the voting for the best of show models is a sham, the models don’t even have to fly which seems ridiculous, and the judges still vote for them. Pure politics, if you’re not part of the “clique” your chances are slim.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Dec 13, 2017, 12:00 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
Getting smaller every year, one of the biggest vendors is downsizing from 8 spaces to 2, I’m not telling which one though. Plus the voting for the best of show models is a sham, the models don’t even have to fly which seems ridiculous, and the judges still vote for them. Pure politics, if you’re not part of the “clique” your chances are slim.
See, the word “clique” is the operative word here, which is the reason I prefer to fly alone, where I fly. Once I’m done for the morning, I go do other things. I joined the AMA just so I can bring my planes, & fly them, PERIOD. I didn’t join so I can hear or read how “Burl & Ivy drove down from Hoakyville last weekend in their ‘74 Winnebago, &/or how their precious little Jeremy starts Harvard in the fall.” If I’m all alone here, so be it.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Dec 13, 2017 at 03:03 PM.
Jan 02, 2018, 11:52 AM
AeroDan
OK, Here’s what I have here. I just might have enough clams for parking/admission, but I don’t think I mowed enough lawns for any goodies. I’ll feel like a 9-year-old watching all these rich guy’s leaving the event w/that Vario Bell 47 Kit or that E-Flite 83” Cessna 150 BNF, while I won’t even be able to snag a used COX .049 Glow-Clip, for that OLD Free-Flight “Sky Ranger” COX issued back in ‘74. I’ll just go fly @my local site on the 6th. Have A Great Time, All.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Jan 02, 2018 at 11:58 AM.
Jan 02, 2018, 12:45 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
I'm really sorry to hear that you're experiencing such things. It certainly won't be that way at Expo, I've had a great time there the last couple, though I can't go this year.

You would certainly feel like one of the family in short order at my club, it makes me sad that its not that way everywhere.
Jan 02, 2018, 12:51 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudahockey
I'm really sorry to hear that you're experiencing such things. It certainly won't be that way at Expo, I've had a great time there the last couple, though I can't go this year.

You would certainly feel like one of the family in short order at my club, it makes me sad that its not that way everywhere.
Thanks, Buddy. I sure wish I lived in Florida, just so I could visit your field.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Jan 02, 2018 at 01:02 PM.
Jan 05, 2018, 10:27 AM
went last year..yeah there's a lot of merchandise going out of the building! but if your interest is in flying on a budget(mine is )there's a lot of information/inspiration to be had. I forgot what the entrance fee was, but parking was 10$. a fair enough trade off. imho. I found that I could get pleasantly get lost, there for 4 or so hours.. I particularly liked the flea market area...
Last edited by the_gr8t_waldo; Jan 05, 2018 at 10:41 AM.
Jan 05, 2018, 11:54 PM
I went today. It was about the same as last year size wise. Decent crowd, not bad overall. I went with a snowbird friend and he had a good time too. We also stopped by Pegasus Hobbies too. That place is awesome. Ten bucks to park, ten bucks to get in for the AMA show. I guess it was worth it.
Jan 06, 2018, 01:23 PM
AeroDan
Please keep me informed as to what I missed, living only 4 miles away from the venue, and I’ll start the tears.��
Jan 06, 2018, 09:03 PM
Suspended Account
AMA show is moving to Pomona Fairgrounds and there will be a 2nd show this year Nov 2-4 . No more Ontario . There will be outside flying as well as night flying. They will also have cars, trains , boats and planes. Also having it in Nov will be better
Jan 06, 2018, 09:13 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee
I went today. It was about the same as last year size wise. Decent crowd, not bad overall. I went with a snowbird friend and he had a good time too. We also stopped by Pegasus Hobbies too. That place is awesome. Ten bucks to park, ten bucks to get in for the AMA show. I guess it was worth it.
Yeah, Pegasus is my LHS; NEVER left disappointed. Tonys AWESOME !!! Treats me like family. BEST store around.

Quick Reply