SoCal C-J "Fun race" - RC Groups
Nov 27, 2017, 07:58 PM
Kevin Gault
Discussion

SoCal C-J "Fun race"

Hi all,

We're planning a Canterbury J "fun" regatta in conjunction with the Helmsmen Model Yacht Club of Long Beach's end of the year "Fun Sail" day, to be held on December 10th, starting at 10AM.

The plan is to keep it easy going and low key, no entry fee (although there is a fee to enter the park) no trophies, just bragging rights. Hopefully we can use this as a jump-start to running a more serious SoCal C-J regatta next year.

If you have a C-J or are interested in one, come on down to El Dorado Park in Long Beach on the 10th and check it out!

Kevin Gault
C-J #551
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2017, 08:46 PM
is show and tell allowed ?? Could I bring # 532 just to sit in the yard, ???
Nov 28, 2017, 12:54 AM
Kevin Gault
Absolutely Ray. Bring her out! Look forward to seeing her in person.

Kevin
Nov 28, 2017, 07:23 AM
Modeler/ Historian
I'll be in San Diego for the Task Force 96 Pearl Harbor Remembrance Run that weekend. I will try to make it up to Long Beach as well.
Nov 28, 2017, 11:12 AM
I plan on being there with #529.

Ed
Nov 28, 2017, 01:45 PM
Modeler/ Historian
# 590 will be there ! Definitely
Nov 28, 2017, 08:31 PM
#567 will be there. Hopefully with her new rig.

Rich
Last edited by rsgault; Nov 28, 2017 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Nov 29, 2017, 02:52 AM
Dang!....What else did I bring
I'd like to be there just to see the boats n people. If Stephen can drive there all the way from Texas...I can show up with my Lil crew of boats. I may even be there with a dry run before I get painting my Newly restored Newport 12.... Should I bring mt Atlantas without the masts Steven?
Nov 29, 2017, 07:22 AM
Modeler/ Historian
This is gonna be great! Seeing old friends and new, racing CJs in a beautiful setting. I love it , deffinetely worth the drive. Yes I do want to see your Atlantis and Newport 12.
Dec 07, 2017, 09:51 AM
Modeler/ Historian
What are the chances some of the CJ bunch in Sacramento show? Or the guys in Visalia.... Since I'm coming all the way from Texas.... Just sayin...
Dec 08, 2017, 01:38 AM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Vick
What are the chances some of the CJ bunch in Sacramento show? Or the guys in Visalia.... Since I'm coming all the way from Texas.... Just sayin...
Well I'm only from Aliso Viejo, but looks like I'm going to have to go to the bay area for some emergency repair training on Saturday of a client. I will be back though after working and driving same day...does that qualify for the N. Cal drive up n down?
Dec 08, 2017, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Vick
Can't speak for the others (though I know two of the regulars are out of town this week), but we have a theater event Sunday night... If it was tomorrow instead, we might have been able to make it down.

Have fun, and if you set a date for the next one, let us know!

Mark
Dec 09, 2017, 09:38 AM
Modeler/ Historian
I arrived in San Diego last night. So it's Task Force 96 today at Santee Lakes and sailing tomorrow! See Y'all then.
Dec 10, 2017, 11:33 PM
A few pictures from the fun race in Long Beach.

Ed
Dec 11, 2017, 01:53 AM
Kevin Gault
Had a great time and a nice turnout of C-J's for our little "fun regatta" today. 7 C-J's in attendance:

Ed Crowell's #529
Ray Lopez's #532 (still in progress)
Ron Thornhill's #542 (1st time on the water...and boy is she beautiful!)
Kevin Gault's #551
Rich Gault's #567
Art Grunow's #579
and Stephen Vick's #590 (which has to win the award for most deck detail of any C-J out there)

We got a few races off, but the wind didn't cooperate too well. Very light and from a weird direction, and a lot of traffic from other boats out enjoying the "Fun Sail Day". Still great to see some old friends and meet some new ones, and the C-J "fleet" sure got a bunch of compliments from the "crowd". Didn't really keep careful score after awhile, as boats were loaned out and some took breaks to relax and enjoy the day (and get out of the sun!)

Thanks to Hugh and the HMYC for hosting us, and thanks to the C-J sailors that came from far and wide to get together. Several had 1.5 hour drives, and "Roadmaster" Stephen Vick and his son came all the way from San Angelo Texas to sail and hang out with us. Also thanks to my sis-in-law Stephanie for taking some great pics of the "action".

...if only the wind gods had cooperated...

Kevin
C-J #551