Nov 27, 2017, 06:57 PM
Mike M.
Thread OP
Discussion

Should USA bid for the 2019 F3K World Championships?

Following up on the recent Facebook post in DLG News... I thought this topic should probably be discussed here as well.

TOPIC = Location for the 2019 F3K World Championships.

There are no bids on the table yet, at least not that I know of. China has been mentioned in passing, but nothing official from them yet. There are several mentions of how a bid from the USA would be welcomed. This was discussed among various team members & managers while we were at the last wc in Ukraine, and it has been brought up in the past here in this forum as well. Sounds like it might be time to raise the question again. So let's talk about it and see what happens...

What do you think are the best and most likely places in the US to host such an event, and why?
Can we find a volunteer to head up a bid effort, and to organize the event if it lands here?
Can we get the AMA's support and help?
I'm sure there are plenty of individuals here that would be glad to help however they can. Past wc organizers have also volunteered their assistance.

MY THOUGHTS:
  • The AMA headquarters in Muncie, IN would be an awesome venue, if we could get their support. The size and quality of their fields is unmatched. Doug Cronkhite (2015 team manager) made some inquiries a while back and wasn't too confident the AMA would be in favor of this. Muncie isn't a large city (population about 70K), but the community probably has adequate hotels and services to support such an event.

• Somewhere in southern Cal would be great as well. But a bigger field than Poway is probably needed. Perris, maybe?

• The balloon field in Albuquerque, NM would be a good site. Good sized city, close to all services, large field that is well groomed with easy access and hard surface parking.

• Perhaps the ECHLGF field in NC, or the San Felasco field in FL? I've never been to either of these, and can't comment on their mid-summer weather conditions (when the wc is traditionally held). The Orlando area would be nice. Is there a suitable field nearby?
The old sod farm near Provo, UT would have been a great place as well; if it still existed. Unfortunately it doesn't .

I'm sure there are other good suggestions. Having other major attractions in or near the host city isn't a requirement, but might be a plus. Same goes for ease of travel (convenient international airport and flights), as well as ample on-field camping opportunities (there were a large number of folks camping on the L'viv field, but that might be different here than it was in Europe where many teams drove to the event).

I personally am not in a position to head up a bid committee, or organize/CD the event if it does land here. But I pledge my full support and am certainly willing to help in any way I can. I'm just starting this thread in hopes of spawning some healthy conversation on the topic, and raise awareness. Hopefully someone will step up and take the reins. I know there are many groups and individuals, both here and around the world, that would be willing to assist.

What are your thoughts?
Last edited by like.2.fly; Dec 01, 2017 at 12:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2017, 11:02 PM
Team USA F3J
Orlando has good deals on international flights often. .. oh yeah, and Disney, and the beach, and hot weather, and Sonnys bbq.
Latest blog entry: Graves RC Hobbies Swap Meet!
Nov 27, 2017, 11:16 PM
A little more input if your on facebook....https://www.facebook.com/groups/3272...8452541857608/
Last edited by XCmama; Nov 27, 2017 at 11:19 PM. Reason: :)
Nov 28, 2017, 12:44 AM
iVoid Warranties
Seattle has a large field, Seatac is Alaska's Hub, and we have Seattle And Bellevue for attractions. No guarantees on sun though..
Nov 28, 2017, 04:45 AM
I like the idea about a WC in the US. As I don’t know Muncie, I have to trust your experience. Orlando would be awesome for an additional family vacation and the date could be arranged in the Autumn/Winter time, which would make it a lot easier to getting off days at work.
SoCal would be fantastic, too.... I am sure that Seid would be a fantasic CD, providing Margheritas all day long
Nov 28, 2017, 08:11 AM
french team pilote
hey guys ,

why not on one of the flite fest field ?? it's ready for big event and they know how a big event work !

My 2 ct
Nov 28, 2017, 08:48 AM
Why not let Bruce organize it?
Nov 28, 2017, 11:23 AM
AERO+
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2
Why not let Bruce organize it?
Need permission from Christine first. Lol
Nov 30, 2017, 04:52 PM
Mario S. de Lucca
Orlando.... it will be nice... maybe my caller can be the real MINIONS from Universal Studios !!!
What you think about that Nick Wu???
Dec 01, 2017, 02:16 AM
Great! Mike, I have sent you a message.
cheers
Erik Dahl Christensen
Denmark
Dec 01, 2017, 06:19 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
I would be all for the USA preparing a bid. I have talked with a few people about this for a couple of years now. Orlando and Muncie have both been mentioned as great locations. I have also thrown my hat in the ring to be a CD / organizer.

It takes a huge amount of effort, centered around a person or three who are willing to live it for a while to make it happen. I'll be one of the few if we can get support.
Dec 01, 2017, 08:29 AM
I'm in as a work horse.
Dec 01, 2017, 10:43 AM
I feel lots of positive energy here
Dec 01, 2017, 11:21 AM
Just an earth-bound misfit, I

USA its time....

Orlando or Muncie would be good.....

Muncie is all grass with no large obstructions and can differentiate the competitors scores.....look at last team select....

Tom, I like your enthusiasm................. When was the last soaring FAI event held in USA? F3B sacramento in 1981? its time...

My 2 cents.
Last edited by JP-Soar; Dec 01, 2017 at 11:27 AM.
Dec 01, 2017, 11:48 AM
Tom, I would be happy to help you, also!

Dave R.

Quick Reply