Nov 27, 2017, 04:38 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Diana 2 from SoaringUSA

New to SUSA and unwrapped today is the Juri Baudis 1/3 scale Diana 2, five meter span and as far as I am concerned spectacular! Build quality is as good as it gets, fit and finish superb. If I have any complaint it would be the lack of cockpit detail, but that is a real stretch as the rest of the model is so good, I dare say better than H-Model or Paritech which are very well done. Bob only got two in, one is sold and the one you see in the photos is the GPS version with a different layup, this one has what I understand is the LDS wing servo setup, just drop in the MKS 6130 servos (?) and you are ready to go. really nice carbon retract with rubber shock/damping. I want one but will have to wait till my tax return is in next March. I'm sure the one in stock will sell quickly as the price is much less than I anticipated, I think the Diana 2 will grow the scale sailplane market AND GPS racing as it is much more affordable than the $7000 machines currently flown.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2017, 05:06 PM
Thread OP
Oh and Mark T, you’re gonna love your new model, excellent choice and can’t wait to see you at Visalia, remember, every third Saturday we are there and sometimes Friday as well.
Nov 27, 2017, 08:30 PM
yyz
yyz
That just looks like a winner!
Nov 29, 2017, 09:23 PM
Mark Triebes
My buddy picks it up Friday ... Iíll be picking it up from him next week ... canít wait!!!
Nov 29, 2017, 10:02 PM
Thread OP
In case something goes wrong, I am headed to Sac on the 21st and could bring it.
Nov 29, 2017, 10:21 PM
Mark Triebes
Thanks, Dennis ... Iíll keep that in mind and let you know if I need your help ...

Mark
Dec 27, 2017, 08:56 AM
Finally! A nice scale model of the Diana 2! I owned full scale serial # 002 for a couple of years and put a few hundred hours on her. When I sold it, I took tons of detail pictures for one potential buyer and would gladly share them with any modeler who would like to detail their Baudis kit. 1:1 ship had unreal roll rate - other pilots could tell it was me at great distance based on how quickly it would enter a thermal. Awesome sink rate and glide, bugs had little effect on the performance. At 5' 10" I was about the largest a pilot can be to fit in the cockpit. I had about 1-2" inches of head clearance. In rough air I'd sit up and brace my head against the canopy instead of hunkering down 'cause there wasn't room to slide down in the cockpit... Awesome glider!
Bill Liscomb
Dec 27, 2017, 05:00 PM
Mark Triebes
Hi Bill ...

Iíd love any pics youíre willing to share ... I could send you a flash drive if that would make it easier.

Mark
Dec 27, 2017, 09:55 PM
Mark - PM me for my address.
Aug 03, 2018, 12:24 PM
Thread OP
Hey Mark, how’s the Diana 2 coming? I’m doing a partial customer build of one right now, it already had the LDS completely installed so this is a real quick build, I’ll post some photos and thoughts on it later today.
Aug 03, 2018, 02:15 PM
Thread OP
MKS 747H (H is for side mount) tow release servo, and the retract servo is a simple install although the retract has to be removed to get to the lower screws, drill and tap the carbon frame for 4/40 cap screws. Really nice retract, very smooth and great mechanics, but the retract does intrude on where the pilots rear end would sit, so there’s no way to do a scale cockpit, but it can be presentable with a few extra bits and the right size pilot. Control stick in the Diana 2 is mounted to the right side, not a center stick like most aircraft. I added a headrest as well.
Last edited by s2000; Aug 03, 2018 at 04:39 PM.
Aug 03, 2018, 02:26 PM
Thread OP
TwinPilots.com is the pilot that’s the best fit in the Baudis Diana 2, I tried an Axel but he is much too large, Ralf Paehl who makes TwinPilots installs wire inside the body so they have the ability to be bent in the proper position. Ralf also will make an extremely accurate miniature of your self if he is sent the proper photos. The pilot in the Diana is a standard issue “Markus”. In this Diana the Markus pilot Is 1/3.5 scale.
Last edited by s2000; Aug 03, 2018 at 06:39 PM.
Aug 03, 2018, 10:39 PM
Thread OP
Baudis changed their rudder servo install to a hatch in front of the rear wheel. Very easy access for servicing. Rudder pedals done and installed.

I see many folks get hung up on ďdetailing the cockpitĒ, impossible to do on this model and many others unless you gut the retract and toss the seat tray in the trash, even if you scale it out exactly where does the radio go? Cannot be done on the Diana unless itís a static model. So lots of artistic license comes into play on this one. So donít let your scale glider loiter in your garage for years because you want to do the cockpit. Get everything else done, FLY IT and come back to the cockpit later. Itís fun to work out those small bits one at a time after you fly it. I used to build movie models and always remember it only has to have ďsomeĒ detail to trick 98% of the folks, that last 2% takes a massive amount of extra effort, most of the time itís not worth it.
Last edited by s2000; Aug 03, 2018 at 11:00 PM.
Aug 03, 2018, 10:48 PM
Mark Triebes
Nice work, Dennis!
Aug 03, 2018, 11:10 PM
Thread OP
Mark, did you get yours with LDS?

Quick Reply