Nov 25, 2017, 09:51 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Unknown 1/6? P-51B glass fuse.

Guys need some help. I just picked up this beautiful 1/6" P-51B glass fuse. Really nice glass work. Looks to be 80's flavor work. I didn't get the plans with it. Fuse is 58" from front of cowl to fin trailing end. Sent pics of it awhile back to Holman. Holman seems to think it could have been made from 75" enlarged Brian Taylor P-51B plans he use to sell way back. Need to identify it so I can obtain the plans and build this bad boy. Thanks Tim
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2017, 07:18 AM
Build a scale plane already!!!
Gene Barton,, was later sold to Aeroloft

I have one too https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e-Barton-P-51B

Build thread,, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...ton-p-51b.html

79" span actually,, used foam cores,, you can have my plans, They don't show much at all,, I'm pretty much done with them,, but you'll need some one to cut a wing for you
Last edited by scale_only; Nov 26, 2017 at 07:28 AM.
Nov 27, 2017, 08:41 PM
Thread OP
Do you think a Moki 210 engine would be good for the 51?
Nov 28, 2017, 10:15 AM
ken kalynuk, winnipeg CAN
funny I was reading about the Gene Barton P-51B last week, seems like he used a scale airfoil for the wing - prone to stalls - see http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...on-p-51-b.html

I would use the ribs from Top Flite P-51 or Brian Taylor and build a new wing that behaves better.
Nov 28, 2017, 12:07 PM
Are the TF and BT planes stall proof?? Like any scale airframe.. Fly it right and set it up right and it will be fine,, Vic even admits in that thread it was a set up problem that caused the high speed stall,, he had too much elevator throw. I don't think aeroloft would have bought and marketed the airframe if it had any major issues.
Nov 28, 2017, 12:14 PM
ken kalynuk, winnipeg CAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
Are the TF and BT planes stall proof?? Like any scale airframe.. Fly it right and set it up right and it will be fine,, Vic even admits in that thread it was a set up problem that caused the high speed stall,, he had too much elevator throw. I don't think aeroloft would have bought and marketed the airframe if it had any major issues.
no one said stall proof, more forgving was the term used,
Nov 28, 2017, 12:29 PM
Pro Hoarder
Looking at the root airfoil on the fuse it is not a full scale. the full scale P51 had the max thickness at almost 40% cord..
Latest blog entry: In flight
Nov 28, 2017, 01:41 PM
Scale Builder
Having worked for Aeroloft and having owned one of the Mustang kits along the way I can assure you that the airplane does NOT have a scale airfoil nor anything that mimics the laminar flow wing of the full size airplane. Also, if memory serves, the airplane was actually designed by Rick Lewis, as was the Skyraider. Gene Barton built and campaigned the Mustang but I don't think he designed it. I could be wrong on that last point though, been a loooong time ago! As for the laminar flow airfoil, Dave Platt, Brian Taylor, and Jim Meister all offered kits and/or plans for the Mustang with it. All of them have a pretty good track record so I don't think the laminar airfoil necessarily has to be a detriment to good performance.
Nov 29, 2017, 11:42 PM
Thread OP
Thomas I got those P-51 plans today thanks. Tomorrow I have to go pick up some foam so I can cut those wings and I have a Bert Baker P-47 I have to cut wings for also. I am running out of room for airplanes.
Nov 30, 2017, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by totenkopf
Thomas I got those P-51 plans today thanks. Tomorrow I have to go pick up some foam so I can cut those wings and I have a Bert Baker P-47 I have to cut wings for also. I am running out of room for airplanes.

Good luck with the build
Dec 01, 2017, 01:41 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Thomas. I picked some foam today. When I get done with a jet project which won't take long I need a warbird winter project. So what say you guys? Gene Barton P-51 or Bert Baker P-47 Razorback?

Quick Reply