Sep 05, 2001, 02:18 PM
Thread OP
Here - look at this site:
http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/Forum3/HTML/000431.html

I just built mine, and I used packing tape for the hinges. Just make sure you REALLY bevel one side so the hinge gap is small. I think my gap is too big.

Also, I put two servos in the wings so I could have flaps. They say this flies fast and takes a large field to land. Thus, flaps should help me land in my medium sized field.

I haven't flown mine yet, but I'll post information when I do. I'm about 2 days away from finishing construction. All I have left are building the battery pack, installing the motor, ESC, and receiver!

Anyone have tips on building a first battery pack?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2001, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 99esq:
Here - look at this site:
http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/Forum3/HTML/000431.html

I just built mine, and I used packing tape for the hinges. Just make sure you REALLY bevel one side so the hinge gap is small. I think my gap is too big.

Also, I put two servos in the wings so I could have flaps. They say this flies fast and takes a large field to land. Thus, flaps should help me land in my medium sized field.

I haven't flown mine yet, but I'll post information when I do. I'm about 2 days away from finishing construction. All I have left are building the battery pack, installing the motor, ESC, and receiver!

Anyone have tips on building a first battery pack?

I would make sure you have a soldering iron of at least 40 watts and make sure the tip is of larger diameter. If you try to solder with the stock tips of most soldering pencils, you will never heat the tabs/batteries enough to get a good connection. I often use a bit of hot glue to hold the cells in their final pack shape before I begin soldering tabs. That helps with planning the orientation of each battery. NEVER USE ACID CORE SOLDER!! Make sure it is rosin core. Be sure to clean excess rosin from battery tops after an good solder connection has been made. That stuff is corrosive!
Sep 06, 2001, 12:02 AM

Simple 400 Building Tips?

Just wondering if anyone has any building tips for the Simple 400. The plans seem pretty simple. I am going to build this plane with a 480BB race motor spinning a Graupner 6x3 folding prop. I notice that they specify figure 8 hinges. Never done that! Will this build with CA or nylon hinges? Has anyone tried using tape to make aileron hinges? Any building suggestions would be appreciated.

John
Sep 10, 2001, 11:55 AM
I am trying to come up with some way to cool the batteries and motor w/o a bunch of ugly draggy holes. Anyone have any suggestions? I saw the spoon idea, but cannot grasp from the pics how it works?
Also what prop works best with a std 6V 400 Graupner and 8-9 cell 600ar/1000Nimh packs.
TIA,
Crash
Sep 10, 2001, 07:07 PM
I'm disoriented!
Try my web site for a list of the most recommended mods:
http://chrisd-rc.freeservers.com

I used black plastic soup spoons as air scoops.

Remember, the outlet airhole has to be 3 times the area of the intake hole.

I used foam friendly CA to mount it to the covering. The inlet hole is almost the size of the outline of the spoon.

Quick Reply