This thread is privately moderated by Dirty Dee, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 24, 2017, 11:42 PM
Thread OP
Download

1/18 ERJ-145XR Plans, Instructions, and STL Files

Plans and instructions are free for personal use, not for commercial resale.

Original Build Thread Located Here

Specifications:
1/18th Scale
46.4" Wingspan w/ winglets (43.7" without)
65.3" Length
252.48 sq. in. wing area (no winglets)
AUW: 1415-1675g (3.11-3.69lbs)
Wing Loading: 28.4-33.7 oz. / sq. ft.
CWL: 21.5-25.4

Electronics:
(2) Changesun 50mm 11-blade EDFs w/ 4900KV motors
(1) 2650mAH 4S 35C
(2) 40A YEP ESCs
(10) HXT900 Servos (2 Ailerons, 1 Rudder, 4 Flaps, 2 elevator, 1 Nose Steering)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2018, 01:49 PM
Wonderful project...
Certainly will include at my schedulle...
Jul 18, 2018, 08:36 AM
I just signed up just to say I've been flying the real things for the last 5 years and been scouring the internet for proper plans for an ERJ. I've been on and off the RC hobby for 15 years and you've inspired me to attempt my first scratch build (which I'll probably fail miserably or give up on halfway) but I digress... I'm blown away by the quality of your build and the attention to detail. I'll admit I'm slightly annoyed that you chose to paint it in my competitor's colors though subbing to track future progress especially anything that would make it easier to tackle.
Jul 18, 2018, 09:49 AM
Thread OP
Haha, I got scared away from painting pinstriping and Delta seemed like a nice hi-vis scheme . You aren't the first I've been razzed about going with Delta

Not sure if you saw the original build thread linked in the first post, but I posted an in-flight video. I also flopped a landing and noticed a design issue with weakness above the wingbox. If you do go ahead with the scratchbuild, you might want to cut into the fuselage formers 3 or 4 spots for longerons.

Another thing to mention is that I may design a V2, and attempt to 3D print sections like the nose, tail, nacelles for quicker construction. I'm currently busy with a 1/30th A330-300 project so I might not get to it until early next year.

Jet Jam 2018 - Twin 50mm EDF ERJ-145XR On-board Flight (4 min 51 sec)
Jul 19, 2018, 09:07 AM
Much appreciated on the tips.

Any suggestions on how to properly scale the PDFs for printing? Tired of wasting a bunch of paper and I'm severely mathematically challenged printing one and measuring to figure out the zoom % hasn't worked too well for me (hence why I'm a glorified bus driver not an aerospace engineer)
Jul 19, 2018, 09:28 AM
Thread OP
a majority of the templates are 8.5x11, so you can just send to the printer and scale to 100%, center on page. If it looks wrong, you might have to switch between landscape/portrait if it flips the page wrong.

Fuse and Tail PDF has a single 30x42 sheet, so you need a plotter, or go to kinkos to get that one done.

Wing templates has a few 11x17 sheets and a 24x48 sheet, but those you can just use the measurements on those sheets to cut the foam blanks and route in the spars.
Last edited by Dirty Dee; Jul 19, 2018 at 09:45 AM.
Jul 19, 2018, 09:39 AM
Noted. Did you mean to type more? looks like your message cut out.

Sorry if I spammed this thread or other threads, I had to reattempt sending that message multiple times
Jul 19, 2018, 09:46 AM
Thread OP
no worries. and I just fixed my post. I had a straggler half sentence that was below the reply window that I forgot to delete.
Jul 19, 2018, 09:49 AM
One last thing for now, I only have easy access to approx 4mm foam board from the dollar tree so far. I'm going to build a dummy first as practice before investing in profoam. Would 4mm be too heavy for an actual flying version otherwise? What about making it fully from balsa? (on the internals, then coating with foam)

edit: Can these PDFs be converted to DWG? Was thinking about maybe getting laser cut balsa from a place like this https://www.specializedbalsa.com/products/laser.php
Jul 19, 2018, 10:08 AM
Thread OP
2mm ~3/32"
3mm ~ 1/8"

If you want do use 4mm, you will just needs to upsize the various notches in the interlocking parts, as well as take that into account for formers, and trimming them 1mm inward to account for the increase of outer fuselage thickness.

So I did foam as the sheets were large and was a bit easier to cut than balsa. you can definitely go balsa on the build and get a much better finished of the model. Problem with foam sometimes is using filler and getting reactions with glazing putty melting the foam.

If you are comfortable with balsa, go for it. As I experienced in the extreme heat, the fuselage got spongy feeling and may have contributed to the snapping of the fuselage on my landing flop.

and yes, these PDFs should be able to be converted to DWG. Through they require for the parts to be laid out a certain manner for laser cutting. If you are familiar with DWGs, I can send you them and let you lay it out as required for the laser cutter.
Jul 19, 2018, 10:11 AM
Been a very long time since I've messed with DWGs but nothing some quick google research can't fix. But yes they would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply