International F5J in Argentina - Feb 11-12 2018 - Page 3 - RC Groups
Feb 05, 2018, 04:42 AM
I hope people will post some reports of next weekends event on this thread. Contest and social activities. Dream contest destination.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 06, 2018, 08:08 PM
J_D
J_D
Meep
Traveling in Argentina prior to the contest.
Feb 07, 2018, 02:22 PM
Great places to visit in this country .

We meet in Falda del Carmen !!
Feb 07, 2018, 06:09 PM

Two days for the Tango Cup

Last day of training before the contest in Córdoba. Two days for the start of the Tango Cup.
Feb 08, 2018, 04:52 PM
Te veo en Falda del Carmen Flavio !!
Hoy Pablo Calas ha compartido algunas fotos y se ve que ya hay gente volando . Entre ellos wurtz y Gavrilko .
Feb 08, 2018, 04:59 PM
Por donde anda Brazilian Storm ???
Where are you ???
Did you arrived to falda del carmen ?
Feb 10, 2018, 08:35 PM
launch low, fly high
We flew the Tango Cup event today in some very interesting and varied conditions. The conditions were quite varied, from dead air with little lift at all, to strong lift with strong sink, turbulent stuff, etc. It was a really fun event with great people.

I don't have full results, I have to go from memory while pulling information from a brain that is rather fried due to lots of things going on.

In the prelims, Joe Wurts was 1st, Jan somethingorother was 2nd, and Rodrigo Salvador was 3rd. For the flyoffs, Joe Wurts was 1st, Mario Scolari was 2nd, and Rodrigo Salvador was third.

There was a rather impressive midair between Jan and myself in the first round of the flyoffs. I was hooked up in a low level thermal less than a minute into the flight, and Jan came through the thermal at f3b speed run type speed. The airplanes did the usual spinny tumbly stuff, and then kinda stopped rotating and noses dropped to regain flight speed. Well, it turned out that they were aimed at each other and the had an even more severe second impact, with the Plus losing a wingtip before smashing into a dirt road, and the Xplorer breaking the fuselage, then bouncing off the powerlines, and thankfully landing in soft grass below the powerlines. The real thankfulness is that the Xplorer didn't arc across multiple lines so no smoke was let loose. I spent a bit of time repairing my Plus to flight condition prior to the reflight of the first round but got it ready in a reasonable time as compared to the severity of the impact. Due to the majority of the pilots already having a good score on the first attempt, I kinda wrote off my expectations on the reflight slot, and received a 988 on the reflight as I needed to launch high enough to ensure that I made the time whereas some that had excellent scores could gamble on very low launches. Most that gambled lost, but all it takes is one...

The second round had a thermal pass through the flight line at less than a minute to go, so several pilots took very low launches that were commensurate with the lift available. I took a reasonably conservative launch of 32m, which was matched by Thomas with 34m and Mario with 41m. I ended up with the 1k due to the best landing/time.

The last round had much more challenging conditions with significant upper level clouds and only very weak thermal signs. I was not confident and took a reasonably high launch of 114m, which I regretted within 30 seconds of motor cutoff as I found significant lift. It was still a bit of a challenging flight as the thermals were quite weak overall.

At the end, I was thinking that I would finish in somewhere around 3rd place as based on my conservative launch on the 1st and last rounds. It turned out that I finished in first place, ahead of Mario Scolari, by just the tiniest of margins (0.7 points). I'm of the opinion that the delta was due to the fact that he was driving a "bus" instead of a sports car... seriously, Mario, Rodrigo, and many other pilots did some amazing flights. There were quite a few times where I spent more time watching other pilots do some amazing pilot chit than I did flying my own plane (Jan did an absolutely amazing flight with the majority of the flight time at around 30-50m, Mario de Lucca doing a great low save very close to the powerlines, etc.

Very fun stuff...
Last edited by Joe W; Feb 10, 2018 at 08:49 PM.
Feb 10, 2018, 08:42 PM
launch low, fly high
Result scores stolen from Rodrigos facebook page...
Feb 10, 2018, 09:34 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Joe, thanks for the report!
Feb 10, 2018, 09:43 PM
Tragic case
Great report Joe. A pleasure to read.
Feb 11, 2018, 12:56 AM
thank for the report, Joe and congratulation with the win!
Feb 11, 2018, 04:19 AM
Cheers Joe, just what I needed on an absolutely miserable day. Only good for ducks.
Regards Aneil.
Feb 11, 2018, 03:42 PM

International F5J in Argentina - Feb. 11-12 2018

It's good Argentina is on the Southern Hemisphere...enjoy the summer time..!!
Although summer time brings also pretty strong thunder storms with record breaking
hail stones.

Unofficial world record for largest hailstone set on February 8 - 23 cm (9 inches) in Cordoba, Argentina
Feb 11, 2018, 03:56 PM

International F5J in Argentina - Feb 11-12 2018

Guys enjoy Argentina (I wish I was able to be there) and also the:
Asado, empanadas, dulce de leche, alfajores, mate and of course
the best red in the world: MALBEC
Feb 12, 2018, 08:34 AM
Jeff Carr
Any reports?

Jeff

Quick Reply