Gator F3B World Cup 2018 is on at Palm Bay, Florida Feb 23, 24 and 25, 2018. - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 23, 2017, 07:43 PM
Ricky Windsock
Contest

Gator F3B World Cup 2018 is on at Palm Bay, Florida Feb 23, 24 and 25, 2018.

2018 Gator F3B World Cup Event is on near MELBOURNE, Florida on Feb 23rd, 24th and 25th, 2018
We are flying on a brand new field that has been graciously shared with us by the Free Flight guys. It is an old housing estate which never did get built and is now just a huge area of streets called "The Compound." Sapodilla Rd SW, Palm Bay, FL 32908

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.9314.../data=!3m1!1e3

We have started registration. This is a great opportunity to fly F3B in balmy weather while the snow is still piled up against your door up North. The GatorF3B contest clearly has some of the best soaring conditions in the world for F3B with many fast speed times posted every year at the Gator.
  • Two World Records for SPEED were flown at the 2013 Gator (Lachowski 11.98 and Klein 11.90) in amazing conditions.
  • 3 of the top 10 fastest times in the World were flown at the Gator and 25 speed runs have been recorded UNDER 14s at the Gator
We have fast air! With Cold fronts moving through every 4 days or so in the winter it brings great launching wind and plenty of big lift.

The event is registered with the F3B World Cup and will be the first event on the 2018 calender. This adds much interest from the Eurotour pilots. In past years we have had World Champions like Andreas Bohlens, and Andreas Herrig participate from Europe. Every year the F3B pilots from Chile have also attended this event. We hope that Andre Cordova will bring his team once again this year.

It's a lot of fun and even if you don't usually fly F3B consider giving it a shot. You can fly your F3J model if necessary and you will learn heaps about thermal soaring. And the good thing is you get to learn from some of the best in the world.

Online Entry Form is here.

Mail in Entry Form is here

Pilot Invitation Letter is here with all details.
Get your entry in. Make a commitment and lets go fly F3B.
Gordon

Here is our pilots roster. Come on guys please sign up and pay your entry.

Pilots Name - Entry received - Entry Paid - Battery Ordered
Kyle Paulson - Entered - Paid 2 Batteries
Warren Day - Entered - Paid - 1 Battery
Mike Smith -
Mike Lachowski - Entered - Paid - No Battery.
Tom Kiesling -
Tim Traver - Entered -Paid - 1 Battery
Pavel Safarik - Entered - Paid - 1 Battery
Alexander Safarik - Entered - Paid - 1 Battery
Alex Hall -
Maarten Broess - Entered - Paid - 1 Battery
Thomas Cooke - Entered - Paid - No Battery.
Reto Fiolka - Entered - Paid - No Battery
Wes Minear - Entered - Paid - No battery
Steve Condon -
Dennis Phelan -
David Klein -
Dillon Graves -
Jeff Duval -
Jody Miller -
Gordon Buckland - Entered - Paid - 1 Battery
John Kennedy - Entered - Paid 1 Battery
Doug Cronkhite - Entered - Not Paid - No Battery
Shuzo Koyama - Entered - Not Paid - No Battery
Last edited by aussief3b; Jan 01, 2018 at 08:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2017, 11:47 PM
How many days before the contest can we practice on the field?
I might come down a day or two early to practice.
Maarten
Nov 24, 2017, 02:59 AM
Other than the call that the turkey was ready & we could eat...This is the BEST news I've gotten ALL DAY!!!

Sandy
Nov 24, 2017, 09:46 AM
F3B and F3K
I am in, thank you Gordon!

Wow, the field looks really big, awesome find!
Just don't land on any of the concrete streets in distance!

Reto
Nov 24, 2017, 10:26 AM
Im in.
Nov 24, 2017, 02:06 PM
Usedbombistan
I'm in if I'm still home!
Nov 25, 2017, 12:26 AM
Team USA F3F Member
Pretty sure I'm in! Why the change of venue?

Tim
Nov 25, 2017, 10:28 AM
Ricky Windsock
Hey Doug, that is super news mate. We look forward to welcoming you to the Gator. Hey Tim, We are using thus venue because it is a far better thermal site than anything else in Florida. It is a huge area. Outlandings for distance are way better. .. and we don't have to wait for a guard etc to get in.
Nov 25, 2017, 10:36 AM
Ricky Windsock
So Guys lets get those entries in. The sign up page is open and working. We need as many entered as early as possible to make this the best Gator ever.

CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE SIGN UP PAGE
Nov 26, 2017, 12:51 PM
I’m in G!!!
Nov 26, 2017, 09:20 PM
Ricky Windsock
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr1234
How many days before the contest can we practice on the field?
I might come down a day or two early to practice.
Maarten
Hey Maarten the field is open to the public so you can be there a few days early no worries.
Gordon
Nov 29, 2017, 05:55 PM
Signed up and paid Gordon!
Nov 29, 2017, 09:05 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Update on the field guys!

I have been working with the local club, the Florida Modelers Association. They're working on getting setup for their big event. They put on a big free flight event in Dec. called The King Orange. If you're in central FL from 12/29-12/31 check it out. Their president is working with the city and county to make sure that for their event and ours we can safely close any public roads in the vicinity of where we will be flying.

The city looks favorably on any organization using the area in a way that is responsible. Aside from the local free flight and power clubs that operate out of the area there is an organization that runs those "mud runs", a paragliding club, etc. that all use the area for events. The city and county look at this as organizations using it responsibly so that the riff-raff is pushed out. When large events are held the city will even help with press releases and getting the word out to local news organizations.

The free flight club does this for their big King Orange event and they've offered to put The Gator event to the city in the same way! I think it will be awesome to local gov't supporting our event!

So, here are some pieces of info that most of you will be interested in knowing:

* Camping! If you want to do primitive camping this will be available. Any kind of onsite overnight stay is welcome and encouraged. Motor homes, RVs, and sleeping in your car will be just fine. Just know that there are no hookups.
* Manicured grass! The free flight club maintains cutting for all of the area. They've offered to have our venue cut and ready to go! A nice length of about 6" is what they're offering for the immediate area where scoring, winches, etc will be setup. Outside of that they'll make sure that the grass is cut low enough that you won't have to worry about loosing a model in high grass. Remember, these guys are free flight modelers, sometimes finding their model is half the work as getting it to fly!
* Low obstacle count. For the most part there are very few things to "hit". There are canals which have some low trees and palm groves. I've been told that the free flight association has removed a couple of tree lines that appear in the pictures posted and on Google maps and street view. Aside from those there are only asphalt roads.

Hopefully this makes the event that more enticing! We really hope that you'll come and encourage others to come as well!

BTW, if you haven't seen me posting silly stuff around here, my name is Mike Gardner. I'll be helping with coordination with the field and venue! If you have any questions or concerns about the venue please let me know.

Mike G
Last edited by mikejr83; Nov 30, 2017 at 08:52 AM.
Nov 30, 2017, 02:38 AM

2018 Gator F3B Event on F3X Vault

It's "official"...The 2018 Gator F3B event has been created on F3X Vault, and is now OPEN. All pilots MUST register on the GatorF3B website and should additionally register on F3X Fault to facilitate online scoring.

If you've never flown or seen F3B, this event is a must attend, with some of the best pilots in the world competing for top honors. The Gator F3B is the 1st stop of the F3B World Cup, and is sure to be an exciting event!

Sandy Smith - CD
Dec 03, 2017, 10:39 AM
Ricky Windsock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Paulson
Signed up and paid Gordon!
Thank you Kyle.
Thank you also Thomas Cooke and Mike Lachowski.
Thank you Doug Cronkhite also for signing up.

Come on pilots. Please sign up for the Florida Gator!.
Looks like we might have a Chilean contingent coming. YIPPEEEE
Will know some details tomorrow.

Quick Reply