This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 23, 2017, 06:00 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

JJRC H67 Flying Santa Claus Quadcopter Mini-Review

There are so many fun, albeit seasonal, goodies which only seem to appear at Christmastime.

This happens to be one of them, but it’s so much fun that it would be relatively simple to convert it to year-round use. That goodie is the JJRC H67 Flying Santa Claus quadcopter from GearBest.com. Jolly old Saint Nick is represented by a clone of a LEGO mini figure which either stands or sits atop the quad itself.

The real buzz surrounding this little Christmas confection is the fact that it’s based on the Eachine H011 quad, itself a prime candidate for conversion into a Tiny Whoop. Doing a “Claus Conversion” to the H67 is just as easy since its 7mm coreless motors provide the extra oomph needed to fly the roughly 4-gram Santa “brick figure.” The cost is incredibly low as well, coming in at well under twenty bucks ready to fly.

At the time of this writing, a "flash sale" is underway which lowers the cost to only US$13.89 with free shipping to the US via unregistered air mail.

What makes this a Christmas item isn’t so much the removable Santa Claus figure so much as it’s the first RTF quad I’ve ever seen which plays music.

Christmas music. Loud, tinny Christmas music. Two songs, ad nauseum. “Jingle Bells” and “We Wish You a Merry Christmas” sung by a children’s chorus. There’s no way to switch it off short of desoldering the sound module’s power leads atop the flight control board or installation of a microswitch.

That said, the music adds so much to the weirdness factor of this little quad that I can’t help but love it.

So, dear reader, feel free to round up some Christmas yummies while I tell the tale of the Flying Santa.

Contents:

Anny, my contact at GearBest, expedited the shipping of the H67 via DHL. Wrapped instead of boxed, it arrived with no damage.

Inside the rather festive holiday display box are the following:

• Fully assembled model with 280mAh 1S li-po battery
• Illustrated manual
• USB charger
• Phillips screwdriver
• Four-channel transmitter with digital trims, automatic flip, return-to-home and headless mode
• Spare propellers
• Santa brick figure
• Bonus QR code for a JJRC VR game

Needed to fly:

• Three AAA-cell alkaline batteries for the transmitter, not included

Aimed squarely at beginners and casual flyers, the H67 is constructed of a soft, flexible plastic which make it a nearly perfect indoor flyer as well as a Tiny Whoop candidate. The only assembly required is that of the Santa figure and once the flight battery is charged and transmitter batteries installed, it’s time for on Dasher, on Dancer, etc.

Flying:

Powering up Santa’s 21st Century sleigh is the opposite of most quads. The model is powered up first, placed on a flat and level surface followed by powering up the transmitter. The onboard LEDs, red in front and blue in back, will flash rapidly during the binding process and glow steadily once bound.

Default flight mode isn’t high speed so much as it’s high powered to compensate for the weight of the figure. This, of course, is the result of centuries of milk and cookies. A power saver mode can be toggled on and off with the right stick for flying without the figure by pressing down for three seconds before takeoff. A brief press of the right stick in flight activates the automatic flip. Once the transmitter begins beeping, moving the right stick in the direction one wishes to flip will cause the model to, well, do a 360-degree flip and return to level flight. The automatic flip function works surprisingly well with Santa on top, but one should be aware that some throttle will be necessary after the flip is completed. Without the figure mounted, flips are faster and lose less altitude.

The left stick activates a return-to-home mode and the headless mode. This keeps the model moving in the direction of the right stick no matter how it's oriented toward the pilot.

The manual is better than many JJRC manuals I've encountered with its reduced amount of machine translated English and a wealth of information invaluable to a new pilot.

As far as the flight characteristics themselves, they’re flat out wonderful. Santa has no bad habits, but then again, he’s Santa. Liftoff speed is excellent with plenty of power to send Santa racing up the nearest chimney – or ceiling - while the default control rates are gentle enough for beginners, but not so gentle as to be boring. Throttle control, despite the stubby transmitter sticks and thumb pads, is smooth and linear. Gyro control is solid with no tendency for wandering in turns and in stops. Santa is no slouch, either. There's enough pitch built into the system to really scoot him along. He can't fly around the world in a single night since radio range would prove to be an issue in this instance. We'll leave it up to the real Santa for that.

Conclusion:

Low priced, fun to fly and sure to be the hit of one's Christmas festivities, the JJRC Flying Santa Claus quad deserves two thumbs up, which I'll give it as soon as I set down my eggnog and cookies. It's hard to imagine a better, more affordable, holiday stocking stuffer. The only con is in regards to what really sets this machine apart, namely the music. It's cute, it's funny, but it may wear out its welcome before long. A switch is definitely called for...unless you happen to be strange enough to enjoy it as I do. This quad's new owner is just such a person. Jeff Brock is one of my two oldest and dearest friends and the H67 shall soon be on its way to beautiful Cumming, Georgia. If anyone appreciates the unusual and offbeat, it's Jeff. He's looking forward to receiving it and learning to fly it, music and all!

The H67 can be ordered here.

This is GearBest's own video which shows off the H67 well.
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Dec 05, 2017 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Fixed errors re. stick functions.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2017, 07:25 PM
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Nice review. I just love the xmas santa.
Nov 23, 2017, 09:34 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Thanks and happy Thanksgiving, John! Santa is an absolute kick. In fact, I just ran a battery through him and I discovered a couple of minor mistakes in the review regarding the alternate stick functions. Fixing that now.
Dec 21, 2018, 12:11 AM
How do I disable the Xmas music for energy saving? I spotted a little cylinder like stuff on the chip board,guess that's a micro speaker?
Maybe try it to mount a micro FPV cam on it for more fun.
Kids love it!
Eachine E011 Easy FPV Mod (8 min 37 sec)

Just cut off the red and white wires link to the disk speaker under the bottom side will disable the song,don't remove the speaker or the weight loss will cause the flight getting tend to float.
And don't remove the cylinder like metal, it will disable the binding,damn ! I did it for stupid reason.
Last edited by osern; Jan 06, 2019 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Add youtube

Quick Reply