Dec 14, 2017, 03:13 PM
Mansell Models
Has anyone had any problems with parts shifting with this plane? I have had 3 parts shift. The Front 2 fuselage sections and the L3 wing panel. There are 3 failed prints. This has been observed from two different machines, both Robo 3D r1+ printers and using simplify 3D. All prints have shifted towards the top.

Thanks,

Tom
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2017, 04:29 PM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
Thread OP
I have layer shifting when the bed is not well levelled and the nozzle collides with the part being printed.

Have you tried using the gcodes I supplied?
What have you changed in the s3d processes?

You can try a little of z-hop like 0.4mm or so.
Dec 14, 2017, 04:37 PM

has the design flown already?

anyone has flown there's already?
Dec 14, 2017, 04:43 PM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
Thread OP
This plane is a Liddle Stik, it has been flying for 50 years or more, way heavier than these printed versions will be. The 3d printable is an exact copy made over the original rcm plans. When I have a good sunny day in a weekend IŽll try to make a small video of it.
Last edited by derfred; Dec 14, 2017 at 04:54 PM.
Dec 14, 2017, 06:52 PM
Mansell Models
Derfred,

Thank you again for all your hard work designing this bird. My Robo 3D R1+ has auto level built into it. I have not change any settings in the files. I have not been using the G-Codes to print. I have used your STL files then I convert them over to G-Code for my machine. Everything has worked great until around 70 percent, that is when it has failed for F1, F2, and wing L3.

I am now printing using your G-Code for L3, I will report back with pictures in a few hours. Thanks Again for your support. I want to get this bird flying next week.

Tom
Dec 15, 2017, 12:36 AM
Mansell Models
I used the G-Code settings to print the wing L3 and the print failed around 70 percent. This time around I copied all the settings from 3D lab Print files. I am trying those since I have had great luck with those settings. I will keep you informed.

Tom
Dec 15, 2017, 04:03 AM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
Thread OP
Thats strange, I use prusa printers and the files print fine. Can you please post a few pictures of the failed prints, I want to see what feature was the printer doing when it failed.

A fellow modeller printed one on a cr10 and he also had to modify parameters in the .factory files, probably retraction settings, I suppose:
https://www.thingiverse.com/make:414469

Try using a little of z-hop (retraction vertical lift) and be careful when making print processes of your own or using the processes from 3dlp because this plane has features that the 3d labprint planes donŽt have like a firewall made with infil on the F1 and a solid former 1mm tick on the F2 to support the wing tongue.
Last edited by derfred; Dec 15, 2017 at 05:55 AM.
Dec 15, 2017, 04:43 PM
Hi
I am aware of the box with wing "stick" design but the 3d print construction adds a whole "can of worms" of variables that can influence its flying.

So has anyone successfully flown this version?
Dec 15, 2017, 08:45 PM
Mansell Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder

So has anyone successfully flown this version?
I am trying to get mine done ASAP so I can get out and fly mine. Right now I am struggling printing out the wing. I am working hard to get the details straightened out with my printer.

Tom
Dec 16, 2017, 04:26 AM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
Thread OP
On the fuselage the problem seams to be in the reinforcement where the wing will slit and on the wing seams to be a problem of clogged nozzle.

I set the gcodes to 230C and filament width to 1.72 the retraction settings are in the order of 0.9mm, works on the two types of PLA I tested, but may not be working on your printer and filament.

Another observation is that your printer prints well up to a certain height then has those problems.

I once had a problem with a printer with a full metal heatbreake that did something similar, the heatbreak got clogged once and I never more could have a good print, after some hours printing it ended up cloggingagain , it was not always at the same height in the prints, probably had to do with the accumulation of pla in the interior that was creating traction on the passing filament.
Replacing the heatbreake was the solution.
Dec 17, 2017, 06:50 PM
AMA Another Mans Airplane
This looks really great! Any idea on how much filament it took to print (length/grams)? I want to print similar models in the future and im not sure how much filament it might take.
Dec 18, 2017, 06:17 AM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
Thread OP
Cale10:
The print weight is about 850 grams, I suppose you would spend the same amount of filament to print it but I confess I never weighted a spool before and after printing
Dec 18, 2017, 12:25 PM
Mansell Models
I just printed a spool holder yesterday for my printer. I think the filament was getting snag and not feeding properly causing the R3 panel to fail at the top. I am back to printing the wing again. I will post pictures later of the wing. Here is my spool holder.

Tom
Dec 18, 2017, 02:21 PM
Retired CAD guy
One has to be very careful about the Filament feed.

IF it gets underneath one if it's neighbors on the spool
it can "tangle" when coming off and bind up.

Always use the spool edge holes to store your filament END
OR print up some little snap on/off binders for the filament ends.

Looks like you are using 3mm filament so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Seems like everyone reinvents their own version of Spool holders.
Why can't the Machine designers/Makers just do it right in the 1st place ? sigh ....

So how's the Dragonfly flying ? ;>}
Dec 18, 2017, 05:21 PM
AMA Another Mans Airplane
[QUOTE=derfred;38829228]Cale10:
The print weight is about 850 grams, I suppose you would spend the same amount of filament to print it but I confess I never weighted a spool before and after printing [/QUOTE

So a little less that a full spool of filament. That’s a cheap airplane!

Quick Reply