AeroFred Das Liddle Stik 3D Printable - RC Groups
Nov 22, 2017, 03:40 PM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
Discussion

AeroFred Das Liddle Stik 3D Printable

Here is a small gift for you guys, its a "Das Liddle Stik" modelled after this RCM plan that is a little stick designed by Phil Kraft and Larry Leonard for the 1968 May issue of the RCM Magazine.

The balsa version is a great flier, this one should be too, just a little heavier.

Included in the files package are STL files that you can load into your slicer of choice, GCODES for the Prusa i3MK2 and Simplify 3D .factory files that can be tweaked to your own filament and printer.

The plane on the pictures is a prototype, the one on the files is the final version, the wing is sectioned in 4 parts instead of 3 and will split so you can print the white section with white filament, the ailerons are also split this way. This is to print the plane like in the last picture.

The internal structure layout is similar to some of the 3dlabprint planes like the QTrainer or the Mig-15, its a simple and efficient way of doing this so there is no need to change but there are a few differences, on this plane I added a firewall, a model airplanes style of motor mount and a carbon fibre tube to reinforce the wing, the CF tube is not really needed, on 3dlp planes there is none and the wings hold perfectly.

There is a battery tray (50 grams) that may or may not be used, I did it because I wanted to have a way to secure the batteries and rise them a bit so the plane could be more agile. The battery tray has a particularity, it is L shaped and will join the firewall and motor mount and the landing gear on the second fuselage section making all the front of the plane way stronger.

The motor mount and the battery tray have printed M6 treads to secure the landing gear and the motor, the motor is fixed by 4 M3 screws that will screw on 4 embedded nuts on the mount from the front, from the back the 6 nylon M6 bolts will secure the motor mount to the fuselage.

The wing has 1.5º of washout and no dihedral so you have to glue the parts vertically, stacking one on top of the other over a table top making sure the leading and trailing edges are well aligned.

The pieces of green painters tape holding the ailerons are there just because at the time I took the pictures I didn´t had CA hinges placed already, all the hinges slots are like those on 3dlp P-38, small warbirds... I´ll replace these pic anytime soon.

Download from thingiverse here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2663805

Order printed kits here:

https://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=99742

### Basic specs ###

Print weight: +/- 850grams
AUW: +/- 1250grams?
WingSpan 115cm
Motor 250watts?
Battery 3s 2200mA/h

### Needed stuff ###

Outrunner 3530 or 3536 3s 2200ma/h battery 40amps esc
2 hs81 size servos for rudder and elevator
2 hs81 or smaller servos, one for each aileron
2 wheels, the lighter the better, 1 rear wheel and a piece of 2mm wire for the rear landing gear.
0.5mm or 0.75mm piano wire for the links (rudder and elevator)
A colar for the rear landing gear, the rear wheel will be free.
Two or four servo extensions for the wing servos.
Velcro or a velcro strap for the battery
CA hinges
Medium or thick CA
CA Accelerator
A propeller
10 M6X40 Nylon screws
4 M3X20 steels screws and 4 M3 nuts and a few M3 washers.
40cm 10mm carbon fiber tube for the wing (optional)

###

Please feel free to leave your thoughts and suggestions, doubts, issues with the printing process... Pics and videos

Well, its all, I hope you have great fun building and flying this plane!

And now we have a great video:
3D Printed Das Liddle Stik (3 min 54 sec)

Thanks to Mr. Tom Mansell
Last edited by derfred; Apr 08, 2018 at 02:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2017, 01:17 PM

does it fly?

looks great ; have you flown it already?

i wonder what would happen with a 10 fp "up front"
Nov 23, 2017, 04:16 PM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
Haven´t flown it yet, I had everything ready and it started to rain.

It would work with a .10 or with a .15 I think. The balsa version of this plane was designed for a .20 or so:
http://pulling-gz.blogspot.pt/2016/0...-and-plan.html

The only problem I see it the kick the glow engines give when starting, and the vibration on idle if the rpm is too low, apart from that I´m confident that it will be ok.

If you print one I´ll design you an engine mount to be printed in abs.
Nov 24, 2017, 07:00 AM
Mansell Models
Derfred

Classic!! Awesome, Thank you for sharing!

Tom
Nov 25, 2017, 08:47 PM
Amazing.
Sooo.. No needs mention the Costs involved to get one in hand ie cost of Printer ..
Filament and Hours (weeks?) of one's time trying to get the printer to work usefully.
And how How Much does it Weigh?
And will it do the typical of diy printed airframes: dropped Egg imitation on First 'arrival'.
Nov 27, 2017, 04:23 AM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
And a few mode pictures of a transparent print.
Nov 27, 2017, 04:26 AM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by N827TM
Derfred

Classic!! Awesome, Thank you for sharing!

Tom
Thank you very much for your kind words and support Tom.

I hope you have great fun building and flying it.
Nov 27, 2017, 10:22 AM
Mansell Models
I plan on building one sometime this winter. It is a cool bird! Thank you for putting all your time into drawing this bird. What Cad program did you use? Just curious.

Tom
Nov 27, 2017, 11:12 AM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
That´s very nice, if you have troubles printing or assembling please let me know.

Much time indeed.

I use Fusion360 from Autodesk.
Last edited by derfred; Nov 27, 2017 at 11:23 AM.
Nov 27, 2017, 12:37 PM
Very cool! I was out at the field this past w/e and one of the guys had a version of this and I was commenting that I needed one...and now I can print it!! You guys coming up with all these 3D printed planes are going to get me into trouble. I'm going to have to use the wife's excuse of "buying "X" will actually save money..."
Nov 27, 2017, 03:49 PM
Destroyer of airframes
The Thingiverse zip file seems to be missing the motor mount .stl file. Was going to print that first since I have black filament already loaded in ptr, instead I'll do the landing gear while I do my own motor mount in Solidworks. You may want to add yours to the zip file for the folks that aren't proficient in CAD.
Last edited by RTRyder; Nov 27, 2017 at 04:06 PM.
Nov 27, 2017, 04:20 PM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
Its there now as a single stl file. It was in the .factory and gcode files already but not as s ingle stl.

Updated on thingiverse and on my website.

You can do a motor mount and glue it to the firewall but I did it to be easy to remove with 6 M6 nylon screws from the inside of the fuselage. It also allow the motor X mount to be screwed from the front and tightened to 4 m3 nuts that are embedded from the 4 sides.

The torque compensation is supposed to be done with thin washers but if you like you can chop the front of the stl to the appropriate angle, something around 2 to 2.5 drgrees so the motor is tilted to right and down.
Last edited by derfred; Nov 27, 2017 at 04:41 PM.
Nov 27, 2017, 04:34 PM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by formontoya
Very cool! I was out at the field this past w/e and one of the guys had a version of this and I was commenting that I needed one...and now I can print it!! You guys coming up with all these 3D printed planes are going to get me into trouble. I'm going to have to use the wife's excuse of "buying "X" will actually save money..."
You can print it and have it ready for next weekend Takes about 48 hours to print. Assembling is very fast, an hour or so, even with the servos and ready to fly.
Nov 28, 2017, 04:15 AM
Thanks a lot for sharing. Specs looks fine.

Design and size of the plane is ideal for everyday use, and 3d printing makes it easy to make new parts.

I will try it out when I get to order some more PLA. Hopefully I can learn more about how to design and build my own planes with 3d printing.

I have searched for a method to make 3d planes out of traditional plans, I think that you are showing the way here. I can already imagine the same method applied to old warbird plans from Maratuka, OK Pilot etc.
Nov 28, 2017, 04:40 AM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
You´re welcome, I hope you enjoy the plane.

You´re in Denmark? You have reprap.me I´ve used the devil design pla from them, it holds well the 230ºC that you need to have good layer adhesion.

You won´t find a step by step method good for all the process phases, you have to know the 3d cad you´re using and design having in mind how the printer will extrude the plastic and test a lot.

Making the outer skin and putting a slicer infill on it its easy, making a full model airplane with all the features you see on this plane its a load of work and testing but its surely doable.

Yes, that´s what I´m going to do, those planes fly well we just need to replicate them for the 3d printing process. Making planes from scratch would be much more time consuming and the results would not be as good.
Last edited by derfred; Nov 28, 2017 at 05:08 AM.

Quick Reply