Nov 24, 2017, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltekdiver
Great question

I was told The module will also Control the surfaces of the aircraft . I was also told it has OSD

I wouldn't see the use for dragon link
If the module controls both flight surfaces and video feed . If it's video feed only than something like dragon link would have to be used

Can somebody confirm this ?
Copy-paste from: https://www.dji.com/dji-goggles-re?s...dsite&from=nav

"Flight Control
DJI Goggles RE use bottom-up processing, which means a signal reception module isn’t required. By connecting a third-party controller to the Goggles, users can directly control racing drones with an F3, F4, KISS, Naze, or any other supported flight controller."

"On-Screen Display
Essential flight information, including transmission resolution, battery level,
and signal quality, is easily visible on screen."
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2017, 09:05 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Why would UHF DragonLink not needed?
No way DJI RC Control signal can out reach our FPV UHF system
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
Nov 24, 2017, 09:16 PM
I don't think anyone is debating UHF

DJI Stated 4.5 miles , we know that's video
Question is do we know for sure if the control surfaces can be controlled out that distance
Last edited by fltekdiver; Nov 24, 2017 at 09:28 PM.
Nov 24, 2017, 09:24 PM
I flew my buddy's Mavic Pro...
I still dont know how these guys fly using their phones...lol

I tried his DJI Goggles (white) in "airplane mode" fixed wing mode...
the camera is in a gimbal. It flew more stable then my 1st FPV airplane (RADIAN).
It got boring very fast (max speed of Mavic in airplane mode was 35mph)....
Max range before RTH kicks in is less then 4miles. Probably depends on
terrain and where/how you hold that DJI rc controller.

There's a reason why DJI made a HD system that we FPV'ers can use on our OWN Airplanes.

If these new Goggles RE version has a RC control built
in that we dont know about, that would be cool.
Last edited by rclab1; Nov 24, 2017 at 09:29 PM.
Nov 24, 2017, 09:31 PM
Quote:
I don't think anyone is debating UGH.

DJI Stated 4.5 miles , we know that's video
Question is do we know for sure if the control surfaces can be controlled out that distance
Considering the price of the system, an autopilot is essential. It saves the plane in case of signal dropout, even returns home. I think this way in most applications no need for longer RC range then the video range, so the built-in control sytem is good enough.
Nov 24, 2017, 09:33 PM
Yes I agree.

I was going to drop down to 1.3Ghz and use the Dragonlink V3, until I just saw these

Problem is with these is, I don't want to fly out of my transmitter range, as the video feed will keep going , but I'll loose controls.

Definitely need to see if these have that built in

Otherwise, what would be the difference between lightbridge and these
Nov 24, 2017, 09:39 PM
I just ordered a combo, claimed 15 working days delivery.
Nov 24, 2017, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Yes I agree.

I was going to drop down to 1.3Ghz and use the Dragonlink V3, until I just saw these

Problem is with these is, I don't want to fly out of my transmitter range, as the video feed will keep going , but I'll loose controls.

Definitely need to see if these have that built in

Otherwise, what would be the difference between lightbridge and these

If your worried about RC Control "RANGE"via DJI Controller,
buy these from Tony (fpvLR). He mentioned he is a
multi Millionaire now selling these to DJI ownersWorldWide!

https://fpvlr.com/store/product/preo...range-antenna/
Nov 24, 2017, 10:40 PM
Nice ! I'm sure he is!

I don't have the Mavic, I been suing the Phantom 3 Pro, and have 2 wings built now, 1 will be for FPV.

Mmorota, Congrats on your purchase ! Can't wait to hear your feedback , I'll be awaiting until more information comes out on these
Nov 25, 2017, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmormota
Copy-paste from: https://www.dji.com/dji-goggles-re?s...dsite&from=nav

"Flight Control
DJI Goggles RE use bottom-up processing, which means a signal reception module isnít required. By connecting a third-party controller to the Goggles, users can directly control racing drones with an F3, F4, KISS, Naze, or any other supported flight controller."

"On-Screen Display
Essential flight information, including transmission resolution, battery level,
and signal quality, is easily visible on screen."
If that's the case re 3rd party controllers, I stand corrected, but how to control a fixed wing at 70-80mph with no conventional rc tx? A slow moving quad is one thing, a fast plane another kettle of fish. And the FC has to be able to be switched off for trimming and non-FC flight - that never happens with a quad.

I can understand OSD info such as battery level and RSSI, but what about other more important info - GPS position, altitude, speed and home position, does the DJI camera module feed those to the goggles as well? And interpret RTH conditions? It seems hardly possible.

Don't get me wrong, I intend to buy a set, I particularly like the 5.8 fpv feature, and I'm not knocking them, I just don't see the RE being able to do all this, and some things I wouldn't want it to do. No way I'd give rc tx control over to a headset for fixed wing, that's a recipe for disaster. I just want to use them as HD googles via the HDMI slot, use the 5.8 feature and use my other kit in the traditional way.

Anyway, look forward to the first reviews of fixed wing flight and of just what they will do.
Nov 25, 2017, 03:58 AM
@flynn203 - just read through their FAQ and manual and it seems that their VTX/RX combo unit (which is basically all the on-quad module is, doesn't do GPS/etc. If you otherwise have that in your quad and connected to your flight controller and in the OSD in the flight controller, then that information can be added to the video feed.

The device appears to just do SBUS to the FC, and supports a basic input/output for OSD just like any other flight controller/OSD-generating device would.

It isn't clear to me how you get your third-part-controller to the goggles though. They appear to provide what effectively would be buddy-box cables in the package, so perhaps I'm just not seeing the input port on the goggles in their manual.

You can definitely use them for video only, and something else for command and control.

According to their "what's in the box" PDF ( https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI+...In_the_Box.pdf ), they include a mono 3.5mm to 3.5mm, a 3.5mm to futaba, and a 3.5mm to mini-din, which makes this sound like you'd connect your 3rd party Tx to the goggles in a buddy-box type mode. The other manuals don't seem to describe how this works though, and I don't know if the input for this is the port they are calling "3.5mm audio port" and is just poorly described, or is an undocumented port on the goggles.

*EDIT*: When you go to order these, the extra accessories describes the 3.5mm to ${whatever} plugs as "The Mono 3.5mm Jack Plug Cable connects the coach interface of a third-party remote controller and the auto interface of DJI Goggles RE to transmit control signal from the remote controller to the aircraft." c.f. https://store.dji.com/product/dji-go...ack-plug-cable

Regardless, I think I have enough hope for this to place an order, if not just for quality goggles I can wear glasses with for analog (and if I need diversity, I can always use an external device and the HDMI input).

-j
Nov 25, 2017, 06:51 AM
Will these work with my Vortex Pro Quads?
Nov 25, 2017, 07:07 AM
You are right jasonbrent, it's not clear what functionality these goggles have and it won't be until a review is posted by someone flying fixed wing with an FC. The standard way to link an external source such as Dragonlink to an rc tx is via the trainer port, and the connector varies with tx. Not at all clear what the mono jack does.

An OSD has the various telemetry parameters overlaid on the video, and for analogue video it's the job of the FC to specify where on the screen these are displayed, which is done by passing the video signal through the FC and then out to a vtx. As we can see with the configuration work needed by the guys at fpv.blue to be able to display this data from only a couple of the main FCs, it's not straightforward, so I don't see how DJI will display telemetry from 3rd party FCs. without having to specify which one it is. Maybe they have this cracked, but again I'd be surprised.

I guess we wait for the reviews.
Nov 25, 2017, 08:28 AM
...interesting, more & more features appear on these 'RE' version

P.S.
Futaba 10CAP ------> DJI goggle
What will that do?
Nov 25, 2017, 08:42 AM
So the module acts as a RX , with S-Bus connections, but you would still need a FC, like Naza, Vector, etc, then you'll also need to add an OSD, to get speed, altitude, and I forgot about RTH,

So in theory, their module, camera is $220
Flight controller like Vector $225, OSD around $125, misc cables to connect everything, you could be looking at $500 + for each aircraft you add FPV to ?

It's been 5-6 years I been out of the FPV side, other then my P4 Pro, so it's a steep learning curve again

Quick Reply