lipo disposal setting - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 22, 2017, 09:13 AM
Discussion

lipo disposal setting

is there a setting on the PL6 i can use to completely discharge a lipo prior to disposal?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2017, 07:34 PM
anyone?
Dec 01, 2017, 09:36 AM
I use automotive light bulbs to discharge for disposal. Why use an expensive charger to drain a piece of trash?
I built a bank of 10 bulbs, two sets of 5, and monitor pack temperature by feel. When it gets hot I give it a break, and unplug a few bulbs before discharging some more.
Once the bulbs won’t glow I check with a clamp on ammeter, and if the current is minimal I clip the leads, strip them back, and wire nut them together. I place the battery on a fireproof surface and let it sit for a few hours, usually overnight, before disposing of it in the local battery recycling bin.
Dec 01, 2017, 10:22 AM
We follow the same procedure that JMynes follows. To answer your initial question, the charger will not discharge completely.

REVO USA
Dec 02, 2017, 09:25 AM
Michael
I built a similar setup, but as I use 2S to 6S LiPos, I used automotible taillight bulbs setup with Andersen Power Poles (AKA Sermos) so that I can choose serial or parallel, or both. The taillight bulbs have a low and a high resistance drawing about 2 amps or 0.5 amp. I use the 0.5 amp side for the smaller capacity LiPos...

One other club member built a copy of my unit, but everyone else simply asks me to dispose of their LiPos. It works great and I agree that I would not want to expose my expensive charger to a piece of trash...

I originally thought I could simply insert / remove bulb(s) to handle the voltage and desired load, but the automobile bulbs are push/twist and I did not want to do multiple insertions/removals. Screwin would be better, but I used what was available.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes
I use automotive light bulbs to discharge for disposal. Why use an expensive charger to drain a piece of trash?
I built a bank of 10 bulbs, two sets of 5, and monitor pack temperature by feel. When it gets hot I give it a break, and unplug a few bulbs before discharging some more.
Once the bulbs won’t glow I check with a clamp on ammeter, and if the current is minimal I clip the leads, strip them back, and wire nut them together. I place the battery on a fireproof surface and let it sit for a few hours, usually overnight, before disposing of it in the local battery recycling bin.