Official FlightLineRC 2000mm B-24D/J Liberator Thread

Project Tennyson50:
FlightLineRC 2000mm B-24 Liberator

“Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered…”

Alfred, Lord Tennyson, The Charge of the Light Brigade

Operation Tidal Wave was one of the most costly bombing raids for the USAAF in World War II, in which 177 B-24 Liberators participated but more than 100 were either lost or damaged. 220 crewmen were either captured or missing, and twice as many were killed. Five Medals of Honor were awarded, the most ever for a single airborne action, three of which were awarded posthumously. War is always cruel and never romantic; there are no soaring orchestras, only the embodiment of suffering. Nevertheless, we commemorate all those souls who endured and served, half a league, half a league, half a league, onward.

The famed B-24 Liberator is one of the most recognizable WWII aircraft of all time. Serving in every theater of that global conflict, the B-24 fought to bring its brave crews home through unimaginable danger. With humility and reverence, Motion RC is proud to introduce the world’s first foam electric PNP B-24 Liberator, in remembrance of the crews who gave the ultimate sacrifice and those who carry on its memory.

The FlightLineRC B-24 Liberator is approximately 1/16.7 scale, with a 2000mm wingspan and 1230mm length, and is constructed from EPO foam and reinforced with integrated aluminum, carbon fiber, plywood, and plastic structures. Designed with input from the Collings Foundation, which operates the only flying B-24-J, “Witchcraft”, our flying electric RC model delivers the ultimate experience for pilots seeking a worthy homage to the historic Liberator.

Due to the many configurations of the real B-24, the model features modular design to allow each modeler to customize his/her model further. A magnetic nose section allows owners to quickly swap between B-24 variants, the -D (“Greenhouse” nose), and the -J (“Emerson turret” nose), and the Upper Turret on both variants and the Nose Turret on the -J variant can be panned with an optional 9g servo. Steerable tillers are pre-installed, including special provisions to fit FPV cameras in the nose with minimal modification. Waist gunner windows are left uninstalled, giving pilots the option to detail the interior and/or depict a variant with or without the windows installed. An internal wooden spine reinforces the bomb bay area, if a modeler chooses to install operating doors. An all new pilot figure sculpt depicts period accurate A-2 crew jacket, radio headset, and iconic “crusher” cap and insignia. This B-24 is the perfect platform for customization and personalization!

Despite its very large size, primary assembly of the entire aircraft is completed with only 12 screws; glue is only required for cosmetic details such as antennas and windows. A quick disconnect ribbon wire harness consolidates wiring into a central circuit board inside the fuselage. Each wing is removable with two screws, making this large aircraft extremely easy to transport in the front passenger seat of a standard sized car.

The FlightLineRC B-24 uses four 3530-860kv brushless outrunner motors, 30A ESCs, counter-rotating propellers, and a separate UBEC. The recommended pair of 4s 14.8v 3000-4000mAh lipo batteries, common with most of the other FlightLineRC aircraft series, can power the aircraft in excess of 110kph/70mph, for 5-10 minutes based on a pilot’s throttle management. We prefer mid-throttle cruising for 7+ minutes of scale-style flying, appropriate for a bomber of this size. The outboard motor pair and inboard motor pair are powered by separate flight batteries, allowing for powered landings in the event of one battery losing a cell. Big retracts, 70mm tall nose wheel and 85mm tall main wheels provide stable operation on grass runways, with split flaps aiding controlled low speed flight and landing approaches.

Available in both green and silver paint schemes, each model includes BOTH the -D and -J nose in the box, and includes two decal sets comprising both waterslide and matte vinyl decals. Additional decal sets are available for purchase from our partner, Callie Graphics, at www.callie-graphics.com. A main strut suspension strut is available as an upgrade for rough runways, and a nose door upgrade is also available, although only recommended for paved runways due to the B-24’s characteristically low ground clearance. Also for the first time at Motion RC, we will be making available for download several 3D-Print-Ready "Detail Kits", including a Cockpit Kit with complete instrument panel, controls, and seats, and a Nose Detail Kit including turret detail for the -J variant, and a bomb sight for the -D variant. These Kits will be available for download for FREE while the first Pre-Order lasts.

With near endless personalization possibilities, the pinnacle of your warbird hangar has arrived --The FlightLineRC 2000mm B-24 Liberator! Pre-Order yours today... the first shipment is already sailing on the Pacific! INCOMING!

Link to Green PNP.
Link to Silver PNP.

Link to 3D printable cockpit and turret files.

Podcast, too! We're also very excited for the opportunity to be featured on the RC After Hours Podcast. Visit them here.

And shirts! Finally, we're proud to have collaborated with Bunker 27 for the release of their latest shirt, featuring the B-24 Liberator!

Use the Discount Code "MOTION30" for 30% off (only on Bunker 27 branded products). The 30% off code will expire Monday, 11/28/2017 at midnight.

FlightLineRC 2000mm B-24 Liberator - Motion RC Product Trailer (2 min 29 sec)

Last edited by TiredIronGRB; Dec 17, 2017 at 07:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 22, 2017, 07:55 AM
Post-Apocalyptic Tactical Cons
Thread OP
From Alpha...

Coming at ya....

Presentation pass

Gear coming down

Dirty pass

Last edited by TiredIronGRB; Nov 22, 2017 at 08:38 AM.
Nov 22, 2017, 07:56 AM
Thread OP
From Alpha...

Just because it's a 2000mm bomber, this bird still has lots of "pep". Credit to Bajora and his team and also our internal media team for wringing out their B-24s. Vertical climbs, inverted... flies like the Tigercat in many ways.

Going up!

Because I was inverted...

We're excited to hear from our Guest Reviewer, TiredIronGRB, soon. And thank you to Bajora as always! Look for his exclusive review in an upcoming Model Aviation! I'll let these two chime in with their photos and impressions, as the rest of us await the arrival of the first container.

**EDIT** These are going quickly!

Bajora's layout

Head's up!

Nose turret on the -J version splits in two. Perfect for FPV Turret Cam...

New sculpt, as mentioned in the Description in Post #1. Period accurate A2 jacket, radio set, and cap

Lovely Liberators awaiting boxing over two weeks ago..

Base colors are pre-painted, but none of the markings are pre-applied. Perfect canvas for customization!

Last edited by TiredIronGRB; Nov 22, 2017 at 09:04 AM.
Nov 22, 2017, 07:56 AM
Thread OP
Motion RC Exclusive:

As mentioned in Post #1, we're trying something new with the B-24 Liberator. Models like the Freewing MiG-21 and A-10, and the FlightLineRC F7F Tigercat really lit a fire in the "Inner Modeler" inside many of us, and we here at Motion RC were very gratified to see that. The photos of repaints and mods we've seen from pilots has really been inspiring. To continue that trend of encouraging Personalization and Customization, we have prepared 3D-Print-Ready files that fit perfectly into the B-24. For anyone with a 3D Printer, we'll be making these files available for download in about two weeks, and they'll be FREE while the first pre-order lasts. These files, just to start, comprise different detail Kits, allowing a modeler to further detail his/her B-24 with interior details. For those of you without access to a 3D printer, there are online companies that offer 3D printing service, and better yet, if the interest in this sort of idea is popular, we are prepared to stock printed Kits in our inventory that will just require paint and some glue to finish.

Here's a taste of what's to come!

Cockpit Set (Seats, instrument panels, yokes)

B-24D Nose Set (bombadier sight, floor, and full length machine guns)

B-24J Nose Set (full turret detail and full length machine guns)

Turret Detail Set (Upper and Rear turrets with detail and full length machine guns, and waist gunner positions)

Last edited by TiredIronGRB; Nov 22, 2017 at 09:23 AM.
Nov 22, 2017, 08:24 AM
Very nice. Following along.

Daren
Nov 22, 2017, 08:26 AM
B. Redeker - Portfolio Manager
Awesome job MotionRC! The scale, details, everything is just perfect on the B-24. This will be a wonderful addition to my pair of 1875mm B-17's. The only problem is convincing my wife that bomber command needs a B-24 and where to put this thing in the house.
Nov 22, 2017, 08:26 AM
Work hard, play hard
Interesting... very, very interesting...
Nov 22, 2017, 08:30 AM
Insta: Check5_Av8r
Super cool
Nov 22, 2017, 08:30 AM
I drive planes
Yes!!!! That is so cool! Two color choices and the D or J nose is awesome. Can’t wait
Nov 22, 2017, 08:32 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Wow awesome.

Mike
Nov 22, 2017, 08:40 AM
So many planes, so little time
They did it to me again! How can I not get this now?

Every time I have my eyes on something else, they roll out another beauty - the P-38, the Tigercat, now this.

Crap...

Nov 22, 2017, 08:46 AM
ɹǝʎןℲ ǝıssn∀
Count me in!!!
Now just to decide between the green or silver??
If I go silver, I will paint it the same as my fathers plane!!
Or the green and go with the Green Hornet/Superman plane!!

LURCH
Nov 22, 2017, 08:52 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Not necessarily my cup of tea, but once again I applaud MotionRC and FlightLineRC for producing another BEAUTIFUL model. Congrats guys, and everyone enjoy those bomb runs!
Nov 22, 2017, 08:58 AM
Bomber Bob
Beautiful!!!!

I just ordered a green one and a silver one!!! Looking forward to these!

Bob
Latest blog entry: The XB-38 s/n 41-2401
Nov 22, 2017, 09:09 AM
B. Redeker - Portfolio Manager
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
Count me in!!!
Now just to decide between the green or silver??
If I go silver, I will paint it the same as my fathers plane!!
Or the green and go with the Green Hornet/Superman plane!!

LURCH
Did you author an article about the making the B-24 scenes from Unbroken? I read it last week someplace online and found it fascinating. The pictures of the set look like the ones in the article.

Quick Reply