Nov 21, 2017, 03:11 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Help !! Video interference coming from Taranis X9D

Hi there,

Can anyone help me please ? I have just built my first FPV racing drone and am currently testing all the hardware and configuring the software, but I am getting interference in my video feed and it is coming from the Taranis.

If I power up the camera (Runcam Swift) and VTX (ImmersionRC Tramp) I get a great video feed coming through to my goggles (Eachine EV800D) and the OSD also works perfectly, however when I then power up the Taranis I get massive inference in my video feed. It is very bad and I would not consider attempting to fly.

I have tried a selection of frequencies for the video and the same thing happens everytime I power up the Taranis. I don't understand how this happening as the video is 5.8ghz and the radio is on 2.4ghz.

If anyone can shed any light on what I could've possibly done incorrectly, I would greatly appreciate it !!!

I am using the Betaflight F4 FC board by FPVModel and I have wired it up exactly as per their recommendation.

Many thanks in advance !!!

James.
Last edited by JPuino; Nov 21, 2017 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Wanted to change the email notification setting
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2017, 09:09 AM
The same problem here. Wizard x220S, Taranis QX7. When the radio is turned off the video is okay. However, when I turn on the radio i get massive noise in the video. At first I thought the problem was in the transmitter. I changed it, it didnt work out.

Could anyone tell how to fix it?
Nov 21, 2017, 11:12 AM
It may be a problem with the power to the camera. Test it by running the FPV system on a separate power source on the bench. if it cleans up your video, you can get one of these: https://www.ebay.com/i/262410682025?chn=ps&dispctrl=1
Nov 21, 2017, 03:59 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for your reply. I am new to this hobby and I still have so much to learn !!

With respect to the issue being with the power going to the camera, I don't understand how that could be the issue. I have wired the camera and other components as per the product page from FPVModel

https://www.fpvmodel.com/betaflightf...ler_g1351.html.

before the Taranis is powered on, the FPV gear works fine, i.e. Everything is powered on, on the quad, so I don't understand how turning the Taranis on can then affect the power going to the camera, this may well be due to my newbie status so please correct me if the power supply is definitely a contender for the root cause ! I have also contacted FPV model for any info and guidance they can offer. If I can get to the bottom of this I will post all the details on this thread.

Thanks again James !!
Nov 21, 2017, 04:34 PM
I have never seen this happen with a 2.4G transmitter. Are you sure that the quad isn't getting armed when you turn on the Taranis? Common causes of video noise is ESC's
Nov 21, 2017, 05:41 PM
Thread OP
Hi, no I have arm and pre-arm switches but set to off when the Taranis. The interference happens before the motors spin up. I can apply full throttle to the motors and it doesn’t make it any worse it is only when the Taranis is powered on.
Nov 21, 2017, 05:58 PM
Try disabling the receiver and see if it still happens when you turn on the Transmitter. If it does, see how far away you have to get with the transmitter before you don't have interference. The signal drops rapidly with distance. I still doubt it's coming directly from the Transmitter.
Nov 21, 2017, 06:28 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, i’ll try that tomorrow and report back!
Nov 21, 2017, 08:51 PM
Morning guys. I've made the video showing the problem. I believe JPuino is experiencing the same issue.
Video noise caused by the radio (0 min 26 sec)

Once the radio is turned on I can arm the drone, go full throttle, do anything. The picture won't become clear until I turn off the radio.

Any ideas how to fix this?
Last edited by Evgenii; Nov 21, 2017 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Added some info
Nov 21, 2017, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgenii
Morning guys. I've made the video showing the problem. I believe JPuino is experiencing the same issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRLhjf_6tzc

Once the radio is turned on I can arm the drone, go full throttle, do anything. The picture won't become clear until I turn off the radio.

Any ideas how to fix this?
It did not look to me like the video recovered immediately when you turned off the radio. Try the radio much farther from the quad and see if you still get the breakup. See how far away it has to be before it no longer affects the video.
Nov 22, 2017, 03:43 AM
Thread OP
Hi all, I disconnected my receiver and powered up the quad to see what would happen and the video feed was just a black screen with no static (yes, the lens cap was off!). This is before the Taranis is powered on. I am using the OSD so the video out line from the camera and video in from the VTX and both connected to the appropriate pins on the F.C. board, and the OSD works fine during normal operation.

I assume that the F.C. board will not allow the video feed to be output if it is not connected to a receiver.

Anyway when I then power on the Taranis there is no change, I just see the same black screen. There is no interference but there is no image to interfere with.

I will keep you posted with what FPVmodel suggest too.

Thanks
Nov 22, 2017, 09:30 AM
I would try bypassing the FC with the video - go directly to the camera. That will eliminate the OSD but you will find out if the problem is your FC or something else. I suspect it's a problem with your FC that only happens when your receiver goes active.
Nov 22, 2017, 01:39 PM
Thread OP
I am going to trouble shoot every component as I am now seeing a short somewhere as my smoke stopper is now lighting up whenever the motors spool up. I don't know why this has suddenly happened as it was fine since I finished soldering last week. Anyway to behaviour I am seeing has changed. Before the short happened the ESCs were not making the video integer centre any worse, even on full throttle, it was purity when the Taranis was switched on, but now I get extra interference when the motors start and as soon as I increase the throttle the FC board reboots, so I am going to disconnect everything and test each component. I have ordered another FC board as I don't think that I have done the best job whilst soldering. I had used some lead free solder and I had real trouble with some of the joints and things did get very hot. I now have some lead solder by Armattan meant for use on quads.

I have sent lots of info to FPVModel and they are looking at it too for me. I will keep this thread unto date as hopefully it might help someone else !!

Thanks again

James.
Nov 24, 2017, 12:25 PM
Thread OP
Success !!

The interference has gone !

The issue was that I had followed the wiring diagram for the Betaflight F4 FC board as detailed on the FPVModel website, however their diagram is wrong.

The diagram shows the red power line for the camera attached to the 5v pin on the UART2 row of pins and not the dedicated camera power pin which is directly above the one in the diagram. Being a newbie I trusted the diagram and assumed it was correct. Anyway I have now connected the camera to the correct power PIN, set the jumper to 5v and all is well. There is a tiny bit of noise once the Taranis is switched on but it is negligible and to be expected as I have everything so close on the bench, but it is totally fine, the quality of the video feed is great.

Thanks for your input Volt_Ampere. It is appreciated !

Evgenii, what FC board are you using ? If it's the Betaflight F4 board, have you followed the wiring diagram too on their website ?

I have also realised that I should not use a smoke stopper and power up the motors !! So the issue I was going on about above is nonsense !! I am getting there. The only issue I have now is that I cannot amend the settings on the Tramp HV VTX with the OSD or the LUA script on the Taranis, but I will search the forums to see if I can find the answer to that conundrum and create a new thread if the info isn't already out there, but to be honest that is a small issue compared to the (now solved) problem with the video feed.

Thanks again !!

James.
Nov 24, 2017, 11:21 PM
As you noted it is normal for the smoke stopper to light up if you power up the motors. It will also sag your voltage to a point where things stop working. Glad you got the video sorted!

Quick Reply