Nov 20, 2017, 10:43 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Discussion

AMA Finances

I always notice the AMA flying site assistance forum and wonder, does AMA disclose their financial information?

I am curious of their income/expense reports and would enjoy seeing a breakdown of expenses. I am curious how much gets allocated to flying site assistance, how much is spent on lobbying and legislation, etc.

Is this information public?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2017, 09:35 AM
Suspended Account
You can find many of your answers in this thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-AMA-EC-Travel

Or here: http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...itegrants.aspx

For 2017 the AMA awarded $23,000 in flying site assistance.
Nov 21, 2017, 08:40 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
AMA financials can be found here.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/Members...tatements.aspx

As far as making heads or tails of them I can't help. I took that day off in school.

Mike
Nov 22, 2017, 02:47 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Thanks!
Nov 22, 2017, 03:10 PM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
I always notice the AMA flying site assistance forum and wonder, does AMA disclose their financial information?

I am curious of their income/expense reports and would enjoy seeing a breakdown of expenses. I am curious how much gets allocated to flying site assistance, how much is spent on lobbying and legislation, etc.

Is this information public?
The AMA's "members only" document is one source, but the gold standard is the IRS990's they file with the IRS. As a 501c organization, they're considered public info. You can get them any number of places online. As such, they're a lot more detailed and less subject to spin than are internal members only documents. I've attached the last 3 IRS990's, for 2015, 2014, and 2013. I also have them going back to their 2002 filing.

As you can see from the attached photo, other than the two times when AMA has raised membership dues, one can see that their membership revenue has been in near constant decline. This info comes directly from the 990's, and it is also adjusted for inflation (constant 2013 dollars). If this were an investment, I think folks would be clamoring for a major strategy change. AMA leadership keeps telling us how great they're doing, but to me this hard data presents a decidedly different picture.
Nov 22, 2017, 05:48 PM
Well. I see the drone BS pulled them out of the dive...for awhile?
Nov 22, 2017, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim409
Well. I see the drone BS pulled them out of the dive...for awhile?
Or is it that many took advantage of the 2 years renewal at the old rate when the increase was announced would that not account for the spike? Not sure how their accounting works.

Mike
Nov 22, 2017, 08:53 PM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663
Or is it that many took advantage of the 2 years renewal at the old rate when the increase was announced would that not account for the spike? Not sure how their accounting works.

Mike

Given the pattern is the same as the previous dues increase, I think you’re right. I also seem to remember reading something in EC minutes that would also support its as you suggest.
Nov 23, 2017, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_m
Given the pattern is the same as the previous dues increase, I think you’re right. I also seem to remember reading something in EC minutes that would also support its as you suggest.
When I took advantage of the 2 year renewal I made a mental note to watch membership income in the financials. Next years financials will tell the tale. I pretty sure the drop in Charters will continue also. We have some serious issues coming and no plan ( actually a piss poor plan ) on how to deal with them.

Mike

Quick Reply