May 05, 2019, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossup
Scott great to see you using an Ermolin drive. But I'd like to caution you about the center of gravity.

My homebrew drive weighted 16 grams vs the Ermolin at ~10.5 g(I see you got the CF motor/15" prop version) and when I mocked up the components I was shocked to find it balanced at the recommended balance point with the servos mounted as shown in the thread. I had actually made an extra pocked to move the aileron servo behind the wing but of course did not need to do that as it turns out.

My point is with the much lighter Ermolin you will most likely end up rather tail heavy unless you move something. My servos were lightened as far as possible but did not replace the pot to pcb wires with magnet wires as it looked like I'd only save 20mg.
Oh and with my heavy motor my battery ended up at the leading edge of the wing.

You may not have an issue but I'd check thing before committing servo placement.
Hi mate, thanks for reaching out
Yep that what I had planned to do , going to get the airframe all done and do servo layout from there 👍
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2019, 08:49 PM
It has paint now
May 19, 2019, 05:17 AM
Its done! what a great project!

RTF weight is 54grams as a 2S set up. Soon to be 1s if I enjoy flying it .

This is something I've always wanted to own as I've followed F3P for many many years, glad to finally have a top model What a great project, definitely had it's frustrations but lots of things learnt for the next build.

-Ermolin Contra drive
-Hitec HS5035HD aileron servo
-spektrum a2010s on tail
-Jeti Nano R7 Rx
-Yep 7 ESC
-Risto Hölttä Bec

Thanks to all my friends around the world for you help 🤙🙏
May 19, 2019, 07:26 AM
Senior to who? Member
Great job, good weight for 2S
May 19, 2019, 08:45 AM
Congratulations Hamish!
May 20, 2019, 05:20 PM
got super impatient and just needed to see it work

crazy power definitely need to reduce the throttle end points
this was at 70% control rates and no expo. cant wait to get it in the hall now

Super Trino F3P first flight / Hover (1 min 25 sec)
Jul 29, 2019, 06:23 PM

Trio Build

I am about to embark into building mine. The only question i have is where do you guys get these tiny servo cables? Looks like the tail servo is in the rear. I see very tiny servo connection in everyone's build but unsure where these can be purchased or perhaps made out of.

Thanks.
Jul 29, 2019, 06:32 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssphoenix
I am about to embark into building mine. The only question i have is where do you guys get these tiny servo cables? Looks like the tail servo is in the rear. I see very tiny servo connection in everyone's build but unsure where these can be purchased or perhaps made out of.

Thanks.
The wires are enameled copper wire. The thin enamel is the only insulation.
Ideally you want low temperature enamel coating that will melt with solder temperatures.
You can get a lifetime supply on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232050329681

(I use 0.2mm, three different colours to avoid wiring mistakes. The link above only has two colours, but look around and you can find the third )
Aug 05, 2019, 08:21 AM
Senior to who? Member
When doing magnet wire servo cables, consider using a single plus and minus power cable to the nearest tail servo and then run it back to the next servo, instead of individual cables run full length to each servo.
Aug 05, 2019, 07:54 PM
BFMA #13, aka Rogue 13
amen
Sep 17, 2019, 10:51 AM
Senior to who? Member

Wing retention

I got tired of using tape to keep the wings on, so I came up with this to eliminate needing tape. Tape may work but it esthetically a failure, its not dependable, tends to lift the mylar etc. BAD IDEA.

So I just used some .3mm CF rod, CA that to the cross brace, put a piece of depron over it, at the end to make sure it doesnt come off under use. A small piece of balsa allows the wing to being put on the pins, then you lift the .3 rod over the balsa which slides the wing fully on the pins and voila, no more tape needed.

OH YEAH, the photos show the placement of the balsa which should be up against the CF rod, in use the CF is bent to be behind the balsa block and provides constant tension- this prevents aileron servo pressure from pushing the wing back or allowing motion which would change trim etc.
Last edited by crossup; Sep 17, 2019 at 11:15 AM.
Yesterday, 06:58 AM
Team Canada F5J, Team Graupner
Received mine on Monday...just clearing off the build table and will be starting this evening. Truly appreciate all the information in this forum- will hopefully make the build a smoother experience.

Question: I received the full kit (including the 2802/44)...what props are folks using for theirs? 9×2.8" or 9×3.3″?

Thanks in advance,

Jean

Quick Reply