This thread is privately moderated by RickC_RCAV8R, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 20, 2017, 02:47 PM
Waste Nothing
Thread OP
Discussion

RIX : Snowsled Skier (Mods)

Gentlemen :

My mates Franky and Peter paid me a visit last weekend and I presented each of them with their snowsled skiers and the other gear like the radios and battery chargers . This allowed me to find new homes for some of the older radio gear that I had inherited over the years . The mates were blown away and are looking forward to racing these sleds this winter . As I want to WIN , I decided to make some mods to my frame to use a pair of ducted fans as the motivators . A test platform for an upcoming quadcopter project .

After installation , I decided to test the thrust of the DFs on the shop floor as there is not any snow on the ground outside the shop . Firing up the DFs presented a 'Holy S*#& !' kind of reaction as the sled shot itself across the room . It actually launched itself from the short cardboard box it was resting on at the time . The DF units are rated at 485 grams of thrust apiece . The AUW of the sled is 760 grams . But WOW ; what an acceleration ! Even on 3S power . 5700KV motors , I guess .

The mods that I designed were to mount the DF units and the rear stabilizer winglets . As these mods are not a part of the original downloaded 3D print model , OpenScad came in handy . The DF strut mounts are of a ROTORBITS compatible one that will be used on an upcoming quadcopter project .

The pix shown are of hte final sled , ready for racing when the snow arrives . Franky and Pete are going to have some competition !

Thanx for the blog support ! As always , comments are welcomed . My Aussie mates need not fret the fact of having now snow as this model will soon be further modified to accept wheels and floats . Regards to all of the builders : RickC_RCAV8R
Latest blog entry: Filament Fridge ?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2017, 04:08 PM
Waste Nothing
Thread OP
Note :

Tried the maiden sledding in the powedery snow this morning (December 22) to find that the skis dig into it making forward progress impossible . Obviously , firmer crusty snow conditions or icy ones would be better suited . Am anticipating better results later on this season . Will post a video when I can .
Feb 09, 2018, 11:09 AM
Awesome looking model
Mar 09, 2018, 11:21 AM
Waste Nothing
Thread OP
Thanx Neil . The original work was done by another guy for the main design as seen in the screenshot of his posting on Thingiverse.com . I can only take credit for the mods that I did to his frame design .

This thing really SKATES along . Could not believe the thrust of the DF units and speeds attained by the sled . I was jumping off of snow banks and going uphilll slopes with no problems at all . The skis are very effective as ther is a centerline skeg / blade built in . Very positive turns . In fact , turning sharp is the only way to brake this model .

So all went well for the testing until one jump I made was a bit abrupt . Lost one of the DF fans when it caught a blade tip and basically exploded ! Waiting on impellors now to continue . But , this model is well worth the 3D print time as it is a racer .

Quick Reply