Vintage Berkeley's 93" Super Sinbad Laser Kit - Page 4 - RC Groups
Nov 30, 2017, 12:32 AM
Mark
Looking good Phil. I usually like tails glued on for a cleaner end result. It is good to see the kit going together before I tackle mine. Don't be shy with the pictures cause we all like pics.
Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2017, 04:23 AM
Flying one day at a time....
Yes, well done Phil. Nice work, mate.

And yes.... we do all like pictures as it will help our own builds.

Thanks,

Dave
Nov 30, 2017, 06:22 PM
Phil or TazziE

A little more progress

Greetings all readers.

I stuck some balsa block onto the nose formers and shaped it. She looks like the QE2 from the front.

I have steamed the backbone so it's a little easier to glue. Fizzy glue will work well with damp wood.
Nov 30, 2017, 06:55 PM
Mark
Okay, two questions. What's fizzy glue and what is QE2?
Nov 30, 2017, 09:06 PM
It's time for me to fly
Guessing fizzy glue is PU / Gorilla Glue, and QE2 is a big boat.
Nov 30, 2017, 10:41 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
Haha...i love this thread!

And i'm glad Jack is no longer "shouting" his typing.

Less chit chat...more building/posting pics!
Dec 01, 2017, 02:23 AM
Phil or TazziE

Roger roger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader
Haha...i love this thread!

And i'm glad Jack is no longer "shouting" his typing.

Less chit chat...more building/posting pics!
I am disapointed in my earlier self - he was an angry builder.

Just for information for the previous two posters: The fizzy glue is what you guys know as 'gorilla' my stock is a 'selleys' product. The best two that I know from Australia are 'purbond' and 'tarzans grip' (label says polyurethane, but that word is too big to write time and again - so it gets 'fizzy' here in this post). The tarzans grip comes in a ~30g bottle and takes just ten minutes to set hard. I am a real fan of the fizzy stuff. I even have a two part version that expands 30 or more times for filling voids and making canopies (in conjunction with f.g.). It is easy to sand.

The QE2 is otherwise known as Her Majesty's Ship the Queen Elizabeth 2 - the nose of the Sinbad looks like her bow or the poity bit at the front of the queens ship where the anchor hangs.

Back to the topic.

Added the wing seat.

The bonnet/hood has three semi-circular formers, two of them are redundant, but T2b goes where the plan states. T2a's radius is 1/8" too small for it's purpose so I decided to use it elsewhere, as I did with T1. (see the pics) The top of the nose is a hatch and it is one piece from the front of T2b to the nose block. I have cut a piece of balsa to replace T2a it matches the radius of T2b plus the thickness of the decking that is to be wrapped around it. That decking hangs from skyhooks, (in other words it is unsupported), so I devised a cunning plan to reinforce said decking sheet, support it and add a feature known as 'instrument panel'. These features are the two redundant parts of the top nose section, i.e. T1=dashboard and T2a (identical to T2b) is now going to support the decking sheet and the windscreen. See the mock-up in the photos below.

I have given the fuselage a torsional stress test and might add some more light triangulation just because I can do it for about 20g weight. Maybe some 1/8"sq diagonals. I can get about 3 degress of twist from front to back without stressing any of the woodwork. I dont know if it is necessary and acknowledge that the covering will take up some of the slack.

Here is where I'm at:
Dec 01, 2017, 12:27 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
Because of the tail narrowing so drastically, I remember my original being a bit twisty, but it held up well. It's just a floater and mine never got looped or rolled. Just slow gentle flights.
Dec 01, 2017, 06:40 PM
Phil or TazziE

Good input from a man who flew the original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
Because of the tail narrowing so drastically, I remember my original being a bit twisty, but it held up well. It's just a floater and mine never got looped or rolled. Just slow gentle flights.
Thankyou Tom. You raise a good point. The model is a floater for light breezes. And is designed to have a little give and take.

I recall a recent build; I was working on my blejzyk Serafin. The model has a fibreglass fuz and nicely veneered wing. The wing is two pieces and bolts onto the top of the fuz. I can remember looking at the small plywood blocks that go inside the fuselage and hold the nuts for the wing attachment. My ego told me I could do better, and I went about making a big thick 7ply plate and stuck it in the wing saddle with epoxy and baloons. I can recall boasting that it will NEVER break. Ha Ha Ha. A few days later I was flying it, when a snotty Wedge Tailed Eagle targeted the Serafin. A few moments later when I was on approach with the bird on my tail, I made a rough landing and tested the wing joiner/plate. Guess what? The plate didn't break but it tore the fibre-glass all the way around the wing seat and extracted that from the rest of the fuselage! In hindsight, retrospectively speaking, and looking back, I can honestly say that I would have been better with the two little blocks. The smaller plates when placed separately in the fuselage would have allowed some give and take when one wingtip hit the dirt.

I take myself a bit too seriously sometimes and I have an alter-ego. That little man, that sits on my shoulder and whispers in my ear, is always putting doubts in my mind, he, unlike myself, is a hard nosed aeronautical engineer! I will try to subdue him.

The fuselage woodwork is nearing completion.

I will post a few more pictures tonight.
Dec 01, 2017, 09:44 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
And back in the days of my original Sinbad, rubber banded on wings saved may a fuselage/ wing joint !!!!
Dec 04, 2017, 04:19 AM
Phil or TazziE

ello ello ello, wot av we ere?

This fuselage is testing me out! I was hoping to knock it over in a day or two. Any way, its approaching completion. The bonnet or hatch cover was made from several offcuts of blockwood. The slab weighed about 200g but after shaping and hollowing it came down to about 50g.

I mocked up a few instruments on a panel and covered the print with sticky tape so I can glue it on after spraying the interior of the cabin.

More steam was needed to bend the bottom skid and plenty of clamps held it in place until the fizzy glue dried.

Cheers, Phil
Dec 07, 2017, 12:16 AM
Phil or TazziE

moving right along now,

Tailplane is the next challenge. No ribs supplied, No visible means of support, and a lack of planning on behalf of the kit supplier has provided any would be builder with an opportunity to express themselves with a knife and a wild imagination.

Luckily I have lashings of both prerequisites. I also did a bit of research and planning before unleashing the knife on my dwindling balsa stocks.

The airfoil I am replicating is a Clark Y. (modified to a flat bottom for ease of construction).

Here are a few more pictures:
Dec 08, 2017, 05:13 PM
Phil or TazziE

Onshore winds put a hold on build today

25kts onshore and a big hill mean that I have declared a RDO and "Tools Down" order.

Here is the work from yesterday, note the carbon fibre spars under the tailplane and elevator and the solid centre section for attachment with bolts.

Cheers.
Dec 09, 2017, 12:06 AM
She's looking great!
Dec 09, 2017, 12:56 AM
Geppetto
I’ll say, looking good too Farmer! I love the look of a “Sinbad”! And yours is looking real nice!

Geppetto in San Francisco.