Vintage Berkeley's 93" Super Sinbad Laser Kit - Page 3 - RC Groups
Nov 24, 2017, 03:48 AM
Mark
Try the link in post #2 of this thread. Keep watch until they get more in stock.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2017, 08:24 AM
Phil or TazziE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader
Stop everything........until someone says where to get one.
Check out post #2 and if you have no joy, get back to me. I will check my emails to see if I can put you in touch with the machinist.

Phil
Last edited by farmerjack61; Nov 24, 2017 at 09:27 AM.
Nov 24, 2017, 08:44 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
I remember building my original in the 60s and when I first looked at that odd shaped fuselage I almost fainted. How the heck am I going to build that roundish thing on a flat board. Well the fuselage was built in two halves. The top half and the bottom half, then the two were mated together. Easy peasy. Wish I still had a picture of it. Mine was covered in blue and yellow silk and was a tow line at first. Rudder only and I could never get much altitude running around like a nut towing the thing behind me so I cut part of the nose off and put a Cox Golden Bee .049 on it. She went up like a home sick angel then but my old escapement radio stunk and it was barely steerable, but I did manage a few really good flights. It would glide forever and looked beautiful in flight. Tom
Last edited by Tom Smith; Nov 24, 2017 at 09:44 AM.
Nov 24, 2017, 09:30 AM
Phil or TazziE

Good value

I really think that this kit is exceptionally good value. It is not like some of the other laser cut short kits that I have seen. For example. The builder need only buy a few sheets of balsa to finish it off. The parts are machined to an excellent standard of accuracy. Do not underestimate his skill or knowledge. He has had to draw all the parts in CAD and then set up his machine to duplicate what he has already drawn. The result is finer than a bees whisker. By discussing this build we are making him aware of our concerns. He will most probably refine it further as he goes along. His equiptment is high power, and he can cut 1/4" five ply formers from good quality material. There is great potential in this guy. I hope he starts making small parts also like. for example wing servo mounts and control horns etc. The sky is the limit.

I am not apologising for being a big suck hole because I'm not - I too am a wood machinist. This may sound a bit defensive but I just read a few negative comments elsewhere, and would like to offer a counter-opinion to those words.

Phil
Nov 24, 2017, 09:54 AM
Phil or TazziE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
I remember building my original in the 60s and when I first looked at that odd shaped fuselage I almost fainted. How the heck am I going to build that roundish thing on a flat board. Well the fuselage was built in tow halves. The top half and the bottom half, then the two were mated together. Easy peasy. Wish I still had a picture of it. Mine was covered in blue and yellow silk and was a tow line at first. Rudder only and I could never get much altitude running around like a nut towing the thing behind me so I cut part of the nose off and put a Cox Golden Bee .049 on it. She went up like a home sick angel then but my old escapement radio stunk and it was barely steerable, but I did manage a few really good flights. It would glide forever and looked beautiful in flight. Tom
Re-assuring words Tom! I was talking to a mate about the old single channel radios only yesterday, escarpments rubber bands and actuators getting stuck!! He is currently building a single channel radio and this sinbad would be the perfect model to test it out. I am unsure if his project is proportional or a simple press button type. Will find out soon enough.. I am 56yo and can remember pictures of the OS pixie radios in the same magazines that advertised the Berkley models.

Phil
Nov 24, 2017, 12:27 PM
Flying one day at a time....
I'm following this thread with great interest.......

Dave
Nov 24, 2017, 09:14 PM
OK I'm hooked! Following!
Nov 25, 2017, 08:51 AM
Phil or TazziE

Rule Britania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Sanford
Thankyou to you british folk for dropping in, and showing an interest. How is the Cricket going? I took a glimpse today but didn't follow through.

I just knocked off building for the day, and its midnight. I wanted to show you what I have got done in 12 lazy Saturday hours. It has been very straight forward but quite time consuming.

The frame is made from 3/8" x 1/4" sticks and two 3/8" x 3/16" pieces for the plimsal line..

I glued it together with speaker glue, the stuff you use to put new suspension rings on your old paper cones. Otherwise known as AV-180 high stress wood glue. It's just like PVA but a bit thicker and very rubbery. It is reasonably slow drying compared to PVA but fills the gaps of my shoddy joints nicely!

I disobeyed the instructions and just glued the Keel together, wrapped the joints in masking tape and slid it on with a few dabs of glue (skipping the need to lay out the big drawing of the side view of the fuz). The fit was just right and because I worked quickly to get it into the bulkheads B1, B3 & B7 & the pre-brushed glue, I had time to give it a bump and a knock to locate it just right. Actually it just dropped into place.

Most of my time was spent cutting the short vertical parts that form a triangle on the crutch.Each piece had two different angles and each pair (L&R) were a different length to the next pair. But very easy to fudge a bit with the thick glue.

There are two pairs of longerons in the bottom half of the fuz and as stated in another thread they can be a little difficult to bend into the nose. Those parts were slit with a balsa stripper to facilitate the bend and then the slits were quickly glued with PVA and the sticks were bent into position. Voila.

I used lots of pins and rubber bands and clothes pegs today, but at no stage did I use a hammer.

My makeshift workbench was the breakfast bar of my little unit, I taped five 1'sq cork floor tiles onto one edge, laid down the fuselage plan, a sheet of baking paper and away I went.

Here are the pictures:
Last edited by farmerjack61; Nov 25, 2017 at 08:54 AM. Reason: clarify statement
Nov 25, 2017, 09:17 AM
Phil or TazziE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewert
Try the link in post #2 of this thread. Keep watch until they get more in stock.
Hi Mark, I just wanted to let you know that I was confused in a previous post about where you lived. I think you are in Washington US and NOT WA as in Western Australia! You probably have your kit by now?

Cheers, Phil
Nov 25, 2017, 09:19 AM
Phil or TazziE

greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Sanford
Hi Fred. what is that plane in your Avatar? - Phil
Nov 26, 2017, 05:35 AM
Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjack61
Hi Mark, I just wanted to let you know that I was confused in a previous post about where you lived. I think you are in Washington US and NOT WA as in Western Australia! You probably have your kit by now?

Cheers, Phil
Hey Phil, yeah, I wondered about that and figured your thinking out. My buddy and I both ordered our kits the same time and both got them on Friday. We are working on other projects, but will be following right behind you on ours. I'm already flying mine "in my mind".
Nov 27, 2017, 06:31 AM
Phil or TazziE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewert
Hey Phil, yeah, I wondered about that and figured your thinking out. My buddy and I both ordered our kits the same time and both got them on Friday. We are working on other projects, but will be following right behind you on ours. I'm already flying mine "in my mind".
Ah, we are definitely breathing the same air. I hope I can discipline myself to do a bit every day. Tomorrow I plan to work on the top of the fuselage, Hopefully I can finish the woodwork - even if I dont sand and seal it.

Some of the other sinbad threads have some very good tips and pictures that clarify how it goes together. Two things that I think can use some attention are:

* The centre section of the two wings between the two plywood ribs needs to be sheeted somehow, for two reasons. Firstly the two wing bolts need to be accessible from outside the top of the wing and in my opinion poking a screw driver through the film, tissue or silk is not a satisfactory way of getting to the fasteners. I thought about using rubber bands - I love em'. But still we need a sheeted centre section for the bands to sit on. Your ideas are welcome.

^ Secondly, the model would look better if we hide the wing joiner and glue.

^ The tailplane on the plan shows a weird taper into the fuselage at the centre, again no sheeting is shown. I intend to make the tailplane as you would for any other plane or glider. I want to sheet the area that slides through the fuz and keep it all square and paralell along the hinge line. Maybe make it removable as the tailplane is a little vulnerable due to the dihedral of the wing and the lightweight tailplane. Perhaps we can use a 4mm cf rod for the leading edge of the tailplane to toughen it up too. I think I have a few sticks stashed somewhere.

* I can tell you I got a nice length of brass tubing for the wing centre joiner tubes in Hobart today. Measuring; I.D. 10mm O.D. about 11mm. If you and your mate need a bit and some 10mm round cf rod, you can have it for the cost of postage whatever that may be. I have more than I can use, so you are welcome to it. If you give me a 'hoy' via private message I will cut it up for you and package it. Economy Air for example; 2kg, 6 days to Washington Au$15.85 - I can easily post two pairs for that. I think that's about twelve of your dollars. You might be able to get it cheaper locally. However it's here if you need it.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud and I am tired because I took a six hour round trip in my old Hilux diesel ute down to Hobart and back today to see the rheumatologist, she gave me a jab of pain-killer for my kneebone and it was good. My vehicle has 272 000km on that 2.8lt 4 cylinder motor and it still pulls like a freight train. We passed many B-double trucks on the way! The scenery was splendid and the normally dry central Tasmania area was unusually green for this time of year.

Anyway, I'm just jabbering now so I'll give my dog a pat then hit the sack.

Cheers, Phil
Nov 28, 2017, 06:55 AM
Phil or TazziE

I have just realized what the complaints are about.

The geometery of the top half of the fuselage is a complete cluster. The formers are cut differently to the plan and do not line up with the stringers or the part T9. The wing platform is pointing downhill.

Then I looked at the tail - and just like the wonder bra from the seventies it has no visible signs of support other than two slivers of the backbone and the fin which is in turn, supported by the same splinters of balsa.

Add this poop to the lack of centre sheeting for the wing and tailplane and the whole thing is suddenly giving me the Jim-Brits.

Here's a few more pictures.
Nov 28, 2017, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjack61
Hi Fred. what is that plane in your Avatar? - Phil
The model is a scratchbuilt Schweizer 1-26 using the DAW/Skyking 2M wings. Great sloper!
Nov 29, 2017, 07:18 PM
Phil or TazziE

Back on track :-)

After my little outburst a few posts back I realised that nothing worth doing is easy, and it's the struggle that eventually yields the reward!

Last night I climbed down off my high horse and got into it.

I propped up T4 with a sliver beneath and added a 1/16 doubler to toughen the joint up a bit. I am now using fizzy glue to fix the components of the top half of the fuz.

The top former/bulkhead T8 was re-notched for the 3/16sq stringer & another doubler went under that to fill the gap.

The wing platform is now level.

The top 'bonnet' former T2b has been glued into position also.

The area behind T7 needs some attention and thought. At present I am thinking of making the tail assembly as a modular unit and holding it down with rubber bands or wood screws. But I'm not quite there yet.

Here a a couple more images of last nights effort.