Vintage Berkeley's 93" Super Sinbad Laser Kit - Page 2 - RC Groups
Nov 21, 2017, 10:29 AM
Piscine Promulgator
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjack61
*We need to find some 4' sticks for the fuselage laterals/crutch. The instructions say to use 1/4" x 3/8"which is a little different to the plan which seems to show about 3/8"sq. Due to the discrepancy I am unsure if the laterals are pinned onto the plan flat or on their edges but it wont take long to work it out once I clear off a bit of bench space. I will probably pin the laterals down to the plan 'flat' so that I can use 1/4"sq for the cross pieces.

*Wing spars are another conundrum! The instructions and plan mention 1/8 x 3/8 and the notches in the ribs are cut 3/16 x 3/8. The instructions don't say what material is used for the wing spars. I have a nice bit of cedar here and I am just grabbing my calipers......yes, it's 4.2mm which will do nicely wont it? Comments please.

*We also need four sheets of 1/16" x 3" x 4' for the D-Box of the wings. Don't quote me on 1/16" sheeting as I cant find reference to it right now.
If I'm not mistaken, aren't the plans scaled up to 93* wingspan, from the original? Maybe this is why the dimensions on the plan don't match what's in the instructions? That's just a wild guess.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2017, 11:22 AM
It's time for me to fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjack61
*We need to find some 4' sticks for the fuselage laterals/crutch.
*Wing spars are another conundrum! The instructions and plan mention 1/8 x 3/8
*We also need four sheets of 1/16" x 3" x 4' for the D-Box of the wings.
Sourcing stuff like this would be an issue for me. We no longer have a real hobby shop anywhere in the area (closest would be ~2 hours drive). The new owners of the LHS have turned it into a glorified toy store. I went in looking for CA glue a few weeks ago, and they didn't even know what it is, let alone have any in stock.
Buying on-line is certainly possible, but for long stock like this you'll get hit for some heavy shipping fees.

Still, something like this is definitely on my "someday" list. That list just keeps getting longer and longer.
Nov 22, 2017, 04:27 AM
Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT
Buying on-line is certainly possible, but for long stock like this you'll get hit for some heavy shipping fees.

Not really, you could buy the shorter 3' stock and use several pieces with diagonal seams. I do it all the time with my large builds.
Nov 22, 2017, 08:18 AM
It's time for me to fly
Good to know. I've only built one balsa model, and that was when I was 10 ( 48 years ago? ) A Guillows Arrow rubber-powered motor-glider-ish thing. I saw one at the LHS a few years ago and bought it....it's in the basement (somewhere?) waiting to be built. Maybe that one will be be my practice run before I take on something like this. Maybe an RC conversion?
Nov 22, 2017, 08:17 PM
Phil or TazziE

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
If I'm not mistaken, aren't the plans scaled up to 93* wingspan, from the original? Maybe this is why the dimensions on the plan don't match what's in the instructions? That's just a wild guess.
I think so. I just found it a little confusing when I looked at the plan. However I referred to NoSteps build review post #43 and found a definitive answer to my question.

A couple more pictures.
Last edited by farmerjack61; Nov 24, 2017 at 08:12 AM. Reason: to make it right
Nov 22, 2017, 08:53 PM
Phil or TazziE

splicing

Yes splicing works ok and I have done it a few times when repairing models (most recently on my hobbyking apollo dlg) but if I can use one piece, I always take that option.

I am in the same boat as Jim. I live in a little town and we no longer have a hobby shop. My first reaction on this build, was to go to the computer and find the australian growers and sawmillers - that was a mistake. Way too dear and minimum purchase 30 dollars and postage 30 minimum.

The second port of call was my friend Steve Ralph. Many Tasmanians will know the name, as he is an active member of the community. He loves any thing that flies or has a circuit board. Steve also worked for Telstra for many years. He is working on a single channel radio at the moment... Any-way, Steve had all the stuff I need, in his dungeon and more too.

Cheers
Nov 23, 2017, 10:15 AM
less is more
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT
I've only built one balsa model, and that was when I was 10 ( 48 years ago? )
Wow, you don't look that old in your avatar
Nov 23, 2017, 11:40 AM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
Eagerly subscribed!

By the description so far, shouldn't the title lazer SHORT kit? Minus sheeting and some sticks?
But...me wants badly!
Nov 23, 2017, 12:36 PM
Hi there, just joined this group.
I built the Sinbad in the video so if I can help with anything, let us know. I made a few changes from the original plan. It was an enjoyable build.
Nov 23, 2017, 12:54 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
Welcome!
Nov 23, 2017, 01:09 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Woodfield
Hi there, just joined this group.
I built the Sinbad in the video so if I can help with anything, let us know. I made a few changes from the original plan. It was an enjoyable build.
Thanks John! Welcome to RCG and thanks for stopping by

Steve 'Surfimp' Lange
Nov 23, 2017, 01:24 PM
Mark
Welcome John, your slope and piloting showcases your planes very nicely. Hope you can share your changes to the build as I will be starting mine very shortly.
Thanks
Nov 23, 2017, 02:31 PM
Hi Phil,

Are you familiar with this build thread by No Step? It may have some answers for you.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...d-motorgilider

It features a similar build by No Step and some info also about my own 62" version.

A vid of my Sinbad:
Super Sinbad 62" rc conversion (1 min 35 sec)

Good luck with your build!

br
Olli
Nov 23, 2017, 10:45 PM
Phil or TazziE
Wow, what a response. I am overwhelmed to be in such experienced company - sincerely. Vader, Matty, Woody and too many others to mention. This particular Sinbad is in good hands!

This model is very appealing to me for several reasons:

It looks great - especially in the transparent film John. My mate Steve Ralph from Devonport, Tasmania gave me a few tips on using silk and has what is needed in his dungeon. So I'm still not decided but that's a few weeks down the track.

The build itself is enticing, with all the hard work completed and bagged up in the kit. - I have cut most of the sticks and sanded them now so the fuselage will be pinned down on the board tomorrow.

Mostly the slow flying & light wind characteristics are what I am after. I look forward with glee to that aspect.

I got five 1' sq cork floor tiles to use for my building board. The tile shop asked $9 each, but when I explained that I was poor! the silly bugger gave them to me for $6 each!

Only three pictures today:
Nov 24, 2017, 12:17 AM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
Stop everything........until someone says where to get one.