Vintage Berkeley's 93" Super Sinbad Laser Kit - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 19, 2017, 08:58 PM
Phil or TazziE
Discussion

Vintage Berkeley's 93" Super Sinbad Laser Kit

Hello all :-)

Today I received a box from the postie. It contains a kit from obay seller tracyw636 .
I too have been bitten by the vintage bug. I saw a couple of videos on the internet and I had to have one. See the link below:

Super Sinbad Glider (1 min 38 sec)

This build review will be based on photographs with comment every now and again when it gets confusing or convoluted - just to clarify procedures. My angle of attack may be different to other builders (most probably not), but I reckon with a bit of help from you guys I can come up with something good.

What drew me to this glider?

This particular 93" version is a real floater, the kind of which I learned to fly when I was a teenager. Secondly it has an under-cambered wing that will ensure slow speed for those days that we all like to take now and again - just to relax and unwind. It will also be a challenge to cover but is doable even for a grump like me. Finally it is aesthetically pleasing. A curvy, chubby docile companion for summer evenings. Picture yourself seated on a slope with a cold soft-drink in hand and shady hat on the head. Taking just one more flight before night falls and the demons of the dark fill the ether.

My first glance of the real thing

As a retired wood machinist my attention went directly to the accuracy of the laser cut components which are of course 'bit-perfect'. I am not a fan of computers, but can't seem to make a break from them or the impact they have had on a contemporary modellers life. What more can I say? You and I could not cut the parts as precisely as that with a coping saw, the only downfall of the laser beam is the charcoal and smelly ash - but that can be removed with a light sand. The plan is literally FULL SIZE. It measures about 8' x 3'. I intend to cut out the instructions, fuselage top view and wing plan. This will break it down into usable and practical pieces. One more word on the instructions; Hallelujah, the font is large enough to read without glasses. Thankyou to the supplier.

The Thick plywood formers in the fuz are about 1/4" thick and are made of 5-ply. The thinner formers are 1/8" 3-ply or 1/4" thick balsa.

The wing ribs are 3/32" balsa with the exception of the four root ribs, which are 1/8" three ply.

My bacon and eggs are ready, so until next time,bon appétit, Philppe
Last edited by farmerjack61; Nov 20, 2017 at 04:55 AM. Reason: spelling and grammer
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2017, 04:57 AM
Phil or TazziE

Who sells this model?

This fellow has a few from time to time. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-.../132402992384?

Phil
Nov 20, 2017, 05:13 AM
Flying one day at a time....
Very nice looking kit, Phil. I'm following with interest.

Dave
Nov 20, 2017, 10:08 AM
It's time for me to fly
I came across that video last week. Love the look of that model with the transparent covering. Not sure I'm brave/skilled enough to fly something that fragile.

But I want to go fly on his slope! What an amazing place.
Nov 20, 2017, 10:15 AM
Piscine Promulgator
John has started a retro revolution I think

You're not the only one looking at balsa with desire!
Nov 20, 2017, 10:35 AM
Looking forward to following along

Al
Nov 20, 2017, 11:15 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
This is going to be a fun build to follow. I built an original back in the 60s. It had a fantastic glide but my single channel (rudder only) radio sucked. I love the fact that this biggie has a bolt on two piece wing. Tom
Last edited by Tom Smith; Nov 20, 2017 at 04:42 PM.
Nov 21, 2017, 02:02 AM
Mark
Just bought the last one in stock. Now the painful wait for the arrival. The instant I watched the above video, I knew I had to have one. Will watch this build with much interest and may do my own.
Thanks
Nov 21, 2017, 07:19 AM
Phil or TazziE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewert
Just bought the last one in stock. Now the painful wait for the arrival. The instant I watched the above video, I knew I had to have one. Will watch this build with much interest and may do my own.
Thanks
Hello Mark, It will probably take a few more days to get over to you I reckon. I think mine took about two weeks. It arrived in Brisbane after about five days and AusPost then took eight or nine days to get it from there to me.

Fellow builders and old timers are welcome here and I want to encourage you to help with the refinements by posting your ideas and by cooperation we will make this thread useful!

*We need to find some 4' sticks for the fuselage laterals/crutch. The instructions say to use 1/4" x 3/8" so follow the written word and not the plan which seems to show about 3/8"sq. The lateral stringers which form the 'crutch' are pinned onto the plan on their edges. (Thankyou NoSteps for post 42 on your thread)

The Auxiliary spars in the D-Box are 3/16 x 3/8" and not 1/4 x 3/8" as stated on the plan. No biggie, just a typo I guess. The ribs tell the story, so just check your ribs, mine suit 3/16 x 3/8"

*We also need four sheets of 1/16" x 3" x 4' for the D-Box of the wings. This is clearly stated on the wing plan.

That's all for the night. It's time to check out Walker, Texas Ranger!
Last edited by farmerjack61; Nov 24, 2017 at 07:57 AM. Reason: clarification of sizes
Nov 21, 2017, 07:47 AM
Phil or TazziE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT
I came across that video last week. Love the look of that model with the transparent covering. Not sure I'm brave/skilled enough to fly something that fragile.

But I want to go fly on his slope! What an amazing place.
Hi there Jim:-) The hill is a real cracker and the beautiful sea breeze would be nicely invigorating.

The plane does look fragile doesn't it. But sometimes these type of structures surprise me. I am hoping this particular one has the right combination of strength and flexibility. Now that you mention it Jim, I did think about the abrasive effect of landing on the covering, but there is a skid under the nose and the model appears to be very slow, stable and maneuverable.

It has 8" of dihedral each side! but also has a massive rudder and elevator.
Nov 21, 2017, 08:10 AM
Phil or TazziE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
This is going to be a fun build to follow. I built an original back in the 60s. It had a fantastic glide but my single channel (rudder only) radio sucked. I love the fact that this biggie has a bolt on two piece wing. Tom
Hi there Tom, I was lucky. Born in 61. By the time I was old enough to get a radio the single channel 'pixie' press button radios and rubber powered esc's that I had seen in all the magazines had practically dissapeared and digital proportional was introduced. I had a 2 channel AM job that I got from Leo O'reilly ( I think I got it from Leo, he certainly serviced it for me) in South Australia. It was state of the art back then in the seventies. My frequency was 27.195MHz which was pretty much bang on the CB call channel. Some of my friends were 'shot down' by CB radio transmissions, but I managed to survive it. My first real good glider was the Graupner Amigo 2........a plane not that different to this Sinbad, in the way that it had polyhedral stability as opposed to dihedral here and it was light and had undercambered wing.
Nov 21, 2017, 08:17 AM
Phil or TazziE
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsabie
Looking forward to following along

Al
Thanks for dropping in Al

Owl - A Funny Owls And Cute Owls Compilation || NEW (3 min 16 sec)
Nov 21, 2017, 08:22 AM
Phil or TazziE
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
John has started a retro revolution I think

You're not the only one looking at balsa with desire!
That's a pretty good shot of your inverted slope soarer.
Nov 21, 2017, 08:30 AM
Phil or TazziE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardshaw
Very nice looking kit, Phil. I'm following with interest.

Dave
Thankyou Dave, there is a lot of interest in this fellows kits. I think I can get it airborne for about a hundred of your quid or 200 aussie dollars. I'm not counting the cost of the bits and bobs I scratch up from here and there! Mostly left-overs from other models and balsa that was gifted. I do have to buy a roll of transparent film from hobby king. Australia warehouse only has one colour. Yellow. So-be-it.
Nov 21, 2017, 08:36 AM
Phil or TazziE

Wing joiner

My next challenge before commencing the build will be to decide how to knock up the wing joiner. Ideally it will be a piece of 10mm (inside) tubing and a short length of 10mm carbon fibre pultruded rod.

A great weariness has beset me, so I'm off to the roost! - Phil