View Poll Results: How often do you sail?
Weekly 7 36.84%
Average once a month 5 26.32%
Occasionally 3 15.79%
Rarely 3 15.79%
Can't wait to start 1 5.26%
Probably never 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Jan 06, 2020, 12:54 PM

Time-Lapse of by Emma Build

Here is a link to a time-lapse of my Emma build.
Sprit Rigged Model Sailboat "Emma" (35 min 35 sec)

Respectfully,
Kay Fisher
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2020, 05:08 PM
Ahoy Kay

Really enjoyed your build ... great work.
Especially loved the full “Start-to-Finish” Time Lapse video ... which was well worth watching

You make it all look ... SO EASY

Hope others see your build and are inspired to build one of their own.

Gary Webb and his son Spike will be happy to see your build - especially the video.
Jan 06, 2020, 07:13 PM
mahoganyfan

Thanks Mr. Fisher

Loved the video. One of the best I have seen to date. Very thorough. Thanks for posting. Excellent build. I really enjoyed watching it. Californiakid
Jan 08, 2020, 03:30 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP
Yes, a real innovation in video reporting. When I saw the length of the epic I thought "Hmm? so long??" Then as I watched it I realised why it is so lengthy. It's easy to skip ahead to the next sequence if you want, or even go back and check something out again.

It was clearly NOT filmed in MY workshop

Definitely a Must See for any budding builder.

As said, well done, build and report.
Jan 11, 2020, 09:05 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Thanks Folks & a Query

A big Thanks to Kay Fisher for that Emma build video!
Another topic, I have received a note from a fellow in Surrey U.K. who is anxious to begin building Emma. He reports finding 3.6 mm plywood, but has been unable to locate thinner material such as 3 mm or less as the plans call for.
He has also asked if there might be a Model Sail Maker in the U.K. who could provide sails for Emma.
Maybe someone in the U.K. could offer us some local knowledge ???
Thanks Everybody for your ongoing enthusiasm and support!
Cheers, Gary
Jan 12, 2020, 06:22 AM
Hello.

Maybe I can be helpful. I had my set of sails for Nottingham J-Class and for the cutter Gloriana -demi/scratchbuild- made by Peter Wiles of Poole. He and his wife have a shop and among many fittings and accessories (their PW range are their own made), they make sails for many known models and also at request. I sent them a little sketch and the linear dimensions of each side of each sail. The deadline time for having your sails made can be a little long. Delivery time on sails is a minimum of 12 weeks and can be longer. In any way I can say that, looking around, they are pretty cheap.

Here is the link: http://www.pjsails.co.uk/

Ask for Peter or Lesley.

Regards,
Alberto
Last edited by AlbertRoss; Jan 21, 2020 at 05:54 PM.
Jan 12, 2020, 08:21 AM

Sails

Thanks Alberto
Thatís a great help
Had one quote over £350 ridiculous
Jan 12, 2020, 11:40 AM

Wood for Emma

Just had to got to the hardware store this afternoon (B & Q)
They have ply that is marked as 3.6mm which looked thinner than that so I measured it and happy days itís actually 2.9mm I asked if it was marked wrong and the helper said no itís is supposed to be 3.6 so I bought a load in case they sell out
Keith
Jan 12, 2020, 02:18 PM
U.K. folks might consider wood supply sources from cabinet makers ... either on-hand materials (ie maybe FREE leftovers and seconds / scrap) ... at the very least - contacting a UK cabinet builder will give you contacts for their suppliers ??

Do a Google search ... keywords ...
“Wood Veneer Edge Band UK”

Here is one example ...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dav...e-banding/amp/

Maybe this UK supplier has or can get what you need ??

http://www.dhhtimber.co.uk/

http://www.dhhtimber.co.uk/birch_plywoods.htm

This might be the best option for UK builders to contact for thin plywood in UK

https://www.lathamtimber.co.uk/produ...-finnish-birch

Birch Throughout – II/III
EN636-2 EN314-2 : PEFC Certified

Size & Thicknesses:
1220 x 1220
0.4mm / 0.8mm / 1.2mm / 1.5mm* / 2mm
* Also available in 1525 x 1525
Other sizes to order

Birch Throughout – I/III
EN636-2 EN314-2 : PEFC Certified

Sizes & Thicknesses:
1.0mm – 1270 x 1270 3 Ply
1.2mm – 1270 x 1270 3 Ply
1.5mm – 1270 x 1270 3 Ply
2.0mm – 1270 x 1270 4 Ply
2.5mm – 1270 x 1270 5 Ply
3.0mm – 1270 x 1270 6 Ply
4.0mm – 1270 x 1270 8 Ply
5.0mm – 1270 x 1270 10 Ply
6.0mm – 1270 x 1270 12 Ply
Last edited by slo.ca6; Jan 12, 2020 at 02:59 PM.
Jan 12, 2020, 02:52 PM

Sails

Modelman57

It is a pleasure. I was very satisfied. Very, very unusual was that I received my sails before making the payment!
I think that the sails for Emma could be around £100, well done and with post and shipping cost.

Regards,
Alberto
Jan 12, 2020, 05:00 PM

PlyWood forEmma

Thanks of all the info on wood
My personal experience with birch ply in model aircraft building is that it is a very high grade ply and even in 3mm is very stiff and will not bend easily compared to veneer faced ply as sold in building suppliers which is quite soft
Birch ply is typically at least 4 layer of birch in equal layers
Veneer faced ply is a thick core of softwood with a thin facing on each side of a hardwood which is why is is so bendy

Any how I am sorted with enough to build 2 boats
Keith
Jan 22, 2020, 03:05 AM
Mad on modding
Thread OP

Sloop duo pushing the limits Down under

Today's conditions were as we expected, very windy. At 18 – 28 knots and very warm. This proved to be the wildest we have yet encountered.

It could be asked, “Then, why topsails?” Topsails being intended to add advantage under light airs, not like this. But we have yet to see it detrimental the way we sail and today was the real tester and we’ve grown accustomed to the look. Had Crossbones been able to come along with would have been a real exhibition. It’ll happen.

Overall my Maxine (green sails) took on two cups of water since at some times the bow and fore-deck actual was underwater and the forward hatch is not constructed to maintain water exclusion at that rate and pressure. With the inner hull triple sealed against water absorption, we’re not fussed about it. Eric’s Anna only took on a half a cup as the hatches on his were redesigned last year.

While videoing, and with time running out, the snotter cord worked its way off the snotter hook and it might be possible to glimpse the wildly swinging sprit flashing past. The boat still sailed fine regardless, but nowhere as well with the sprit in place and properly set.
RC Plywood sloop duo going flat out Down Under (2 min 7 sec)

We hope that Emma builders may view such videos and photos and see where the water comes across the deck. It is really only when well-heeled over and at top knots. Other than forward and aft hatches it is unlikely that water will get anywhere near the cabin roof-line or the cargo hatch.

I must also add that despite the number of boats involved or how long they have been sailed, the general structure, joints, seams etc remain as firmly fixed as when just built.

Of late there has been more expressed interest from others so it looks likely our small squadron may continue to increase.
Last edited by robcrusoe; Jan 22, 2020 at 03:32 AM.
Jan 22, 2020, 07:30 AM
Very nice video and comment, thanks for posting!
Jan 24, 2020, 01:42 PM
Has anyone come up with a ( I’ll call it a more efficient way) of attaching both jib and main sheets to the travers besides tying a bowline each time when setting up the rigging? I have been tying this knot for years but find it rather cumbersome with such small line. May it’s just my big fat fingers. I was thinking perhaps some type of metal snap used in the fishing world, or smaller version of pelican hook used to attach the shrouds to the hull. Any suggestions?
Jan 24, 2020, 03:38 PM
Mad on modding
Thread OP

Sheet traveller clips

There are many variations of fishing clips but the smaller, the more difficult for BFF.

RC Lasers have a speed clip that would be ideal, I think.

They are readily available from many RC sailboat sail outlets, here's one I found by Googling "RC Laser Speed clip"

http://www.intensitysails.com/rclaspforma.html

Quick Reply